User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: why did I let those guys in the house?? I hate myself!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

This has happened to me before too but it was someone from "Toronto Hydro" saying that they could lower my hydro bill. He wasn't from Toronto Hydro at all! It's another company asking to see your bill so they can get your account number and cancel your account and get you into their company that isn't cheaper at all! They did this to my Grandmother and she is stuck in a 2 year contract with these scammers and there's nothing she can do about it. They are so convincing though! I almost gave the guy my bill, luckily my MIL was there and shot him a few choice words before slamming the door in his face lol.

So unfair that these people can get away with things like this!

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Wow! That's scary, I'm so trusting that this would totally happen to me and I wouldn't have a clue. I guess that's one thing I really love about having our Crowns in SK, there is SaskPower & SaskEnergy and that is it, we may have no choices, but no chance to get scammed really either, or at least not that I know of?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by BrookesMom View Post
    This has happened to me before too but it was someone from "Toronto Hydro" saying that they could lower my hydro bill. He wasn't from Toronto Hydro at all! It's another company asking to see your bill so they can get your account number and cancel your account and get you into their company that isn't cheaper at all! They did this to my Grandmother and she is stuck in a 2 year contract with these scammers and there's nothing she can do about it. They are so convincing though! I almost gave the guy my bill, luckily my MIL was there and shot him a few choice words before slamming the door in his face lol.

So unfair that these people can get away with things like this!
    omg, I showed them my enbridge bill, but how he can cancel or find out my account information without my signature or knowing my name?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Your name and address is on the Enbridge bill, plus the account number too. The signature they could forge maybe? Do you shred paper documents when you throw them in the recycle?

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Your name and address is on the Enbridge bill, plus the account number too. The signature they could forge maybe? Do you shred paper documents when you throw them in the recycle?
    now i m worried, should I call enbridge and tell them what happen?
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't open the door to strangers, its sad but you can't trust anyone anymore. If its important they can call or leave a flyer. My place was robbed during the summer, its not fun coming home and finding everything opened and valuables gone. People are watching and checking when u leave and come home from work. Now-a-days every time I leave the house I always see if there are any unusual cars or people around. Windows and doors can be locked but they can brake a window and come in like in my case. Never thought I would need to get security to feel safe.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

My family owns an Heating and Cooling/Fuel business and i will tell you that it seems very odd that they wanted to check your furnace to see if you qualify for something. They don't need to do that. There are government grants, OPA's etc that are out there for people to apply for when looking to replace the furnace and we don't need to "look" at anyones furnace to see if they qualify. Just doesn't seem right to me...just don't let anyone in for any reason..just say "Sorry my husband is sleeping as he works nights, give me your information and if he needs to he will be in touch". Thats the type of stuff i say. Good luck, and try not to worry and consider it a lesson learned. Merry Christmas!!!
    Anna Michele likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cinpow View Post
    now i m worried, should I call enbridge and tell them what happen?
    Contact Enbridge just in case someone tries to switch you to another company.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I hope everything turns out fine...I never ever let strangers into the house, especially since my bf works nights!
    Last edited by natynat; Fri, Dec 21st, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i did some more searches and found a thread on this, some people who actually signed too, and can't never get away:

http://pragmaticmoney.ca/beware-of-o...r-rental-scams

everyone there had similar experience as me, the only thing was I got 2 guys, not 1. good thing i didn't sign nothing or else I will be crying right now.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Omg i hope everything turns out ok, especially this close to christmas. I got kinda scared reading some of these posts lol
    Anna Michele likes this.
    "Expecto Patronum!" - Harry Potter

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I've heard of instances where the person hasn't signed a contract, but the sales person had enough information that they were able to forge a signature. These sales people are so money hungry, they will do anything.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Why do they come to the door?
    Many people are on the Do Not Call List, so they come to the door, and avoid the phone list and also avoid the mail (mail fraud).

Who do you let in your house?
    Those who have made a previous appointment and those you have checked out.

What have you taught little kids to do with strangers?

If it were a little kid home alone, you would advice them to
    1. not open the door
    2. know that there was no one expected to come over.

Easy Peasy.

OP, don't hate yourself. They are professional salespeople, of the slippery kind. They have been trained to get entrance to the house.

I say "No". And if they persist, I'm not pleasant. The door is closed in their face.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sat, Dec 22nd, 2012 at 02:22 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, a few years ago, we had made an appointment for Enbridge to come over. The guy came in the evening. Before letting him in, I asked to see his Enbridge I.D. (he was in plain clothes with no photo I.D.)
    He went back to his car and squealed out of the drive.
    I called Enbridge's after hours number. I told them what happened. They confirmed he was an employee, but he forgot his I.D. I told them that employee will NEVER be admitted in this home. I told them that if this is who they are hiring, they better get their act together, or I will be calling the police next time. We got a reduced rate on our next bill, for our inconvenience and trouble.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sat, Dec 22nd, 2012 at 02:25 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    What have you taught little kids to do with strangers?
    If it were a little kid home alone, you would advice them to
    1. not open the door
    2. know that there was no one expected to come over.
    lol this is so true. Never take candy from a stranger
    Anna Michele likes this.
    "Expecto Patronum!" - Harry Potter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information