User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Vomitted for 4 times after taking iron supplement!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I m soooo sleepy and sooooo tired and my stomach is still having that burn-feeling after I vomitted 4 times. I intake the supplement for the first time and this happens. My doctor said I must take them, because my blood tests shows I m low in iron. I had been having stomach pain from 12am-6am, didn't sleep at all....sorry, if my wording don't make sense, I m not fully functioning right now..........god please no more vomitssssss, I might pass out soon. btw I did take the pill with a big meal........
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Proud to be Canadian, eh! ZumbaQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I used to take some years ago in liquid form. My MIL would bring me some when she went to Italy. I find that sometime supplements/vitamins in pill form can be tough on your system. I hope you feel better...I know what it's like to vomit a lot!
    Last edited by ZumbaQueen; Sun, Jan 6th, 2013 at 06:33 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

cinpow ask your doctor if he/she can prescribe iron in inject-able form (shots). Also, is it pure iron deficiency or vitamin B12 deficiency which causes iron deficiency? Sometimes correcting B12 levels will automatically correct iron levels. Ask your doctor for further lab investigation. From a natural perspective, make sure you have some red meat 2 times per week, cooked liver (pork, chicken or beef) at least 1 time per week and also egg yolks. These meals alone will provide highly absorb-able iron. If you take calcium supplements, iron is not properly absorbed so you might want to refrain from taking calcium while addressing iron levels. Take care of your health and let us know how you are doing.
    walkonby and i_forget like this.
    freedomslink.com , a cool homepage!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Myself and two of my friends had this problem as well. My one friend it was so bad she thought it was morning sickness and that she was pregnant (the other friend is a lesbian so the pregnancy would have been quite the miraculous conception). I found if you took the supplement on a full stomach it was less irritating, but still not great.

Hope you feel better soon.
    i_forget likes this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have to take iron supplements because I am an anemic for life.
    I found the liquid harder to take than the pills. The pills were gross because of the lack of coating. Euro fer is the easiest to take i find. It has a much higher amount of iron in it, but it is in a capsule so it is easier to process. I get mine at Costco for $5 a bottle of 30, i take 1 a day, any pharmacy has them.
    just so you are aware, in case you do not already know, you will probably get dark discoloured BMs from it.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (75%)

^I am the same. Anemic for life! lol. I take Euro-Fer too! Def easiest. I've never had problems. But you ( the person who started the thread) could only have a small deficiency so you could be having kind of like an over dose reaction.

I would suggest either asking your doc about the shot, or just eating lots of leafy greens and see how you feel.

I find sometimes my iron increases and taking them makes me feel bad, so I take a couple of days off making sure I eat my greens a ton on those days, and then when I start feeling anemic again (which happens within 3-4 days) I just start taking as usual
    i_forget likes this.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erinjuly4 Join Swagbucks!! Best site to earn free gift cards!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I also have tried eating more iron containing foods as well as the iron supplements in pill form. I felt worse on the pills than having the anemia itself. I went to the health food store, on the advice of my physician, and obtained liquid form of iron supplement called Floradix. Take it two times a day with food. No problems yet! The health food person stated that this is the best liquid on the market as it does not contain a lot of extra non-medicinal ingredients. Just a suggestion.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

Personally I found the pills to be hard on my system as well so now I take the liquid suppliment Floradix as well. Its more expensive than the pills but worth it to me. You should definitely let your doctor know of your reaction so together you can find the right suppliment for you.
    Last edited by coupongirl99; Sun, Jan 6th, 2013 at 11:59 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You must take iron supplements with food to prevent this!!!!!!!!!!! You doctor should have told you that.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP if you can't get to the drug store, call the pharmacist.
    Was it ferrous sulphate?
    If so, the pharmacist may suggest ferrous gluconate. Some people can't take the sulphate.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I am going through menopause right now and last year, I had a few dizzy spells. There were quite a few months when I had heavy bleeding for 2 weeks straight. Went to a doctor where he did a blood test. Turns out that my blood count was at 60, severe anemia. Told me to go to the hospital where I got 2 blood transfusions. The doctor at the hospital prescribed ferrous sulfate in pill form. I have to take it twice a day every 12 hours on an empty stomach. Two hours after eating and then one hour before eating, so it's a 3 hour time span.

This is quite cheap, 60 pills for 5.99, one month supply. I only pay 30 cents through DH's group insurance plan. Yay me.
    Last edited by couponmummy; Sun, Jan 6th, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i finally feels better now. I booked an appointment with my doctor this Wed. going to tell her exactly what happened and see what her suggestions are.

my parent just tell me to keep eating more red meats and lots lots of spinach
    walkonby and i_forget like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

that is good you are feeling a bit better, hope the Dr. figures out what part of the iron pill upset your stomach.
    i_forget likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Cinpow, when you eat the spinach, have a good squirt of lemon juice on it, and some fresh tomatoes. The vitamin C helps enormously with the iron absorption. Also, if you're having trouble eating huge salads, I find wilting it (a bit if water or oil in a pan, cover and cook on medium heat for a minute or two) really reduces the volume and makes it easier to get down. Good with omelettes that way too. Sublingual B12 will likely help as well, Webbers Naturals makes it and most SDMs carry it. Hope you don't have to join us in the anemic-for-life club!
    i_forget likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You could also shred the spinach in a food processor and mix it in with other foods. That's how I eat it.
    Another good natural iron supplement is blackstrap mollases (not the same as regular mollases that you get in the grocery store). It has a really strong taste though. I find that the easiest way to eat it is mixed in with hot cereal. If you have a Bulk Barn where you live, they sell it there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information