User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Hi, allow me to explain something to you...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

1. The Christmas spirit is about peace, love, and goodwill for all people. Please try to remember that when you're out shopping for your loved ones. It's not about gifts, or material exchanges - the kindness, grace, and humility you behave with towards strangers often says more about your character than the generosity of the gifts you'll be exchanging on December 25th.

(This rant is really just my way of venting about some experiences I had today, when I was out completing some Christmas shopping. As the title of this rant suggests, it's just a collection of things I would like to explain to the negative people I encountered today. Feel free to add your own!)

2. The concept of lining up to pay for your purchases works like this: you pick a line and then you stay in that line and move forward as the line moves forward. The lining system does not work like you think it does. You don't get to stand in the centre and get into whatever line is moving faster, cutting in front of someone who did choose a line (even if it happens to be the faster one). You don't laugh condescendingly when someone asks you what line you're in, and you don't snidely say, "whichever one moves first."

3. If you're at a mall during a peak time in the holiday season, and the parking lot is completely full, it would be nice if you could free up a parking space as soon as you can, out of consideration for people who are searching aimlessly for a place to park. I know, you're entitled to take as much time as you need, once you've put your purchases away and sat in your car, and I know you're under no obligation to move out of that parking spot once you're all settled. But it would be great if you'd consider the line of cars just waiting for a spot.

4. I know it's cold outside. I know putting carts away can seem like a hassle once you've put away your bags and your warm, toasty car is welcoming you in out of the cold. I know it's tempting to leave your cart right by your trunk, because well, other people do it, and who's going to know? But you've walked from your car to the store, through the store, and now back to your car. You could walk a few more yards to put your cart back in the cart rack - you don't have to walk back to the store. In putting your cart away, you can ensure that you're not obstructing a perfectly fine parking spot. Please also realize that just as it's cold outside, it is also really windy outside. I know you don't want a cart slamming into your car because of that wind. Other people? Well, they don't want that either. So please, please, walk those few steps, put your cart away, keep the parking lot clear, and keep cars dent-free.

Yup, today I encountered a miserable woman who couldn't decide between two lines, a gentleman who could care less about parking shortages, and I had a cart slam into my car. Pretty sucky experiences, which warranted this rant.

But you know what? I kept a smile on my face, let a man with one purchase go ahead of me in line, paid for a woman's plastic bags, and tried to make someone's day better through random acts of kindness. That's what Christmas is about. That's what the holiday season is meant to represent. I didn't do anything revolutionary, and I don't really believe it's a RAOK if you brag about it. I just mentioned these RAOKs as examples of the small ways that I tried to make the days of other people better to counteract the negative acts that made my day worse.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, SCers!
    This thread is currently associated with: WIND Mobile
    Last edited by Aimz; Sat, Dec 22nd, 2012 at 07:03 PM.

[*A I M Z*]

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Aimz View Post

2. The concept of lining up to pay for your purchases works like this: you pick a line and then you stay in that line and move forward as the line moves forward. The lining system does not work like you think it does. You don't get to stand in the centre and get into whatever line is moving faster, cutting in front of someone who did choose a line (even if it happens to be the faster one). You don't laugh condescendingly when someone asks you what line you're in, and you don't snidely say, "whichever one moves first."
    I hear ya, OP.
    Been there -- last week. LOL.
    I just kept my cool. And they thought they had won one over on me. I just let them go ahead, put my items on the belt behind them and just stared at them. Not angrily. They kept looking back, waiting for a reaction. They should have been paying attention to the cashier. When the cashier told them the total, they weren't ready. Then the scrambling to find the debit/credit card came. Then they messed up the chip password x 2 and the cashier's patience was tested.
    Then they turned red.

Of course I had my money, coupons, Auto Cash and reusable bag ready. They were loading their cart as I passed them, and out the door I went. Before leaving, I made sure to tell the cashier thank you, and loudly, that she did a super job with me all year (one of my favourite cashiers -- yes, I profile), and Merry Christmas.

Hmmm. I don't think they will try that with another Shwa Girl, again.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sat, Dec 22nd, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

I agree about the line thing - I've noticed over the last couple of years the 'line' is getting quite blurred - especially at places like McDonalds. I remember when you used to walk in, there are three tills open, you picked a line and stayed there, now there are three tills open, you walk in and just see a crowd of people waiting and everyone including the cashiers don't know who to serve next.
    ticul and zeimie like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is by far the nicest rant I've ever read here, and a good lesson for all.

Merry Christmas
    Last edited by erin9mmm; Sun, Dec 23rd, 2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: wording didn't sound right
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Just wait till boxing day... no 'peace on earth goodwill toward men' required on that day, it would seem!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Well said.Today I emailed some cute e-greating carts to my familly and I thing they will appreciated the fact that I wrothe a personal message,and thinking of theirs..maybe more than a gift.But I dont like the fact even if we are all busy with life....That I always have to think because they dont.Same for news,they will give me some if I wrothe to their or phone theirs..Before we called each other 1 time a week at least for a compilation on your week and health etc...I Feel that strange.And after I get a ''you dont think of me kind of reaction''.Well Merry Christmas
    Last edited by cath007; Sun, Dec 23rd, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
    ticul likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

AS Tiny Tim says, "God Bless Us Every One!" Hope the stress gives way to peacefulness for everyone this Christmas!
    Dee09 and carlyincanada like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I went in ... not for christmas suff, I'm proud to say thats all wrapped and ready to go ... but for some last minute food items.

My encounter today was;

customer taking product out of the packaging to take a look then throwing it aside to grab one not out of packaging. I belive if you are inspecting it for scratches etc wouldn't you want the one you inspected?

customers who are not waiting in line but yet standing in huddles around the register area blocking the path for others to get through to the other side as they wait for who ever they are waiting for.

once the customer a head of you is done their transaction they pick up their bags and walk away leaving their empty cart blocking you in the register.
    mrskoka and zeimie like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

May I add...please don't constantly circle the car-park looking for the closest spot to the front door. I was in and out in the time it took you to find the perfect, non-disabled spot ..okay I had to walk a whole extra ...................20 ft..while you drove for an extra 15 mins..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I agree with the part about the shopping carts. To me this applies year round. I don't understand why people don't put their carts away.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaRYoung View Post
    I agree with the part about the shopping carts. To me this applies year round. I don't understand why people don't put their carts away.
    and + 1000000. It's not that hard.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Boxing day shopping in seven hours. Getting my helmet ready.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Do good anyway, but not to the point of draining you of your backbone. Sometimes you have to recognize "no" from others and let other people be the ones to get back to you. Don't always be the person calling others-see if they manage to remember you on their own.
    sweetmomma likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupongirl99 View Post
    I agree about the line thing - I've noticed over the last couple of years the 'line' is getting quite blurred - especially at places like McDonalds. I remember when you used to walk in, there are three tills open, you picked a line and stayed there, now there are three tills open, you walk in and just see a crowd of people waiting and everyone including the cashiers don't know who to serve next.
    This is so true!!!
    For me personally, I prefer one line. The reason is that I ALWAYS manage to choose the wrong line to go to. With the one line, I wont make the wrong choice.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

This just illustrates for us exactly why we don't participate in the Christmas shopping craze! Our family has always focused on doing things together and gift giving just isn't important to us. The only gift giving we do is two weeks before Christmas - we all pick a name out of a hat and buy a gift ($20 max limit) for that one person. We have to make a poem or some sort of written work to go with that gift. My dad pays for take out pizza dinner and we then open the gifts from youngest to oldest....what a blast. I tell you, it's the poems that really make the gift giving great! It is relationships that are important - NOT amassing gifts and getting oneself into a dither when credit card bills start to show up.

My hubby and I will usually purchase something larger for our own family to enjoy - last year it was a new sofa set (to replace the 25 year old set lol) and this year it will be a camera. And we buy these things after Christmas
    Ciel, coupon girl and momgoneawol like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information