User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: I know this has been asked a million times - 20x points and coupons

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    128 (100%)

Today I did my shop, and my subtotal, after coupons, was a couple of dollars under $50. I used about $10 in coupons (no FPC's), and I thought that would qualify me for 20x the points, but the cashier argued with me that this wasn't the case, so I grabbed something small to bring the subtotal to just over $50 because I was worried I wouldn't get my points and I didn't want to chance it.

But from what I read on here, I should have gotten my bonus points because the coupons I used would have brought my subtotal to over $50 right?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Check your transaction base points, divide by 10, that's how many dollars the computer thinks you spent. OR If its over 500 points, you reached the requirement threshold. hope this helps.
    Dee09, macw1960, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Yes transaction base points are the thing to look at. Next time cashier argues just tell them you don't care about the points. The computer will do it all and no arguing required
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    128 (100%)

My base points were 610, so I would have gotten my points?
    macw1960 and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    91 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jessa_rose27 View Post
    My base points were 610, so I would have gotten my points?
    Yes, because your base points were over 500.
    Dee09, macw1960 and torontogal12 like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

My subtotal was $43.07 and I still got my points because I'd used $13 in coupons which, as the cashier herself said, are treated as cash. The cash register showed that my transaction qualified when we ran the total, even though my total with taxes was still under $50.
    Dee09 and macw1960 like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    128 (100%)

Thanks everyone! I'm annoyed I didn't just go with my gut and let the transaction go through as it was. But next time I will stand my ground!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

its not that bad... You end up getting 20x points by spending 50$ or 60$... You just get more bonus points. That's why I like 20x points so much more than 'x' bonus points per 'y' dollars spent. 20x means you don't need to worry how much over you are. 'x' bonus means you need to get as close to the target to maximize points per dollar spent.
    macw1960, Shwa Girl and smileyKT like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I always get the cashier to subtotal before I hand any coupons over as that way I know whether or not I have reached the target amount. Today I had the cashier tell me that I would not get my 20x points as my coupons would bring my total below $50.00. I just smiled and said that's okay as I knew different because of all the super smart SC'ers.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    I always get the cashier to subtotal before I hand any coupons over as that way I know whether or not I have reached the target amount. Today I had the cashier tell me that I would not get my 20x points as my coupons would bring my total below $50.00. I just smiled and said that's okay as I knew different because of all the super smart SC'ers.
    So what was the cashier's reaction to your bill?
    Just curious.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    So what was the cashier's reaction to your bill?
    Just curious.

I don't bother wasting my time to prove that I am right as some of the cashiers at our SDM are really not that pleasant to deal with but I love the fact that SC'ers seem to know more about the Optimum points than they do. Spent $49.54 and earned 13,200 points.
    A couple of weeks ago I was out of town at a SDM and purchased some GC's first to pay for my purchase. I gave the cashier my Optimum card to swipe and was told you don't get points on GC's. I asked her to humor me and swipe my card anyways. She was amazed that I received points and was pissed at management for not telling her as apparently she bought lots of SDM GC's for Christmas gifts.
    Shwa Girl and torontogal12 like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I was out of town at a SDM and purchased some GC's first to pay for my purchase. I gave the cashier my Optimum card to swipe and was told you don't get points on GC's. I asked her to humor me and swipe my card anyways. She was amazed that I received points and was pissed at management for not telling her as apparently she bought lots of SDM GC's for Christmas gifts.
    Yes, it 's sad that some Shoppers management don't train their staff properly about points, gift cards and promotions.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I was also bothered by an "experienced" cashier today. He said he never saw anyone got 20X when the pretax was lower than $50. I knew the system count my total before coupons, and I assured him it's OK. He was so afraid of my returning everything in case I didn't get the points. He said it would take half an hour to return and give me back my coupons. I asked him, whether their system is different from other stores, whether SDM has changed their system recently... Wasting over 10 minutes and I decided to go ahead. I told him I would not return if I didn't get the points before he agreed to proceed my transaction. The first thing he did after printing out my receipt was of course look at my Bonus points.
    Of course, I got the points. I trained SDM's "experienced" cashier.
    Last edited by sasaliu; Sat, Dec 29th, 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

They tried to explain to me today that we no longer get 20X points on coupon value. I just smiled and said that was ok, I didn't want the points, just wanted to use my FPCs before the end of the year. One SDM put them in as 2004, another put them in as 2001. I got points both times, but oh myyyy, I had to pay the taxes.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

yes 610 points means you spent $61 dollars.

Do math in head or bring calculator.
    Also $50 before taxes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information