User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Canadian Passport : Huge Increase in Fees starting July 1, 2013 !!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

We just got our passport photos done at Costco yesterday ($6.99, woohoo!). But man, they're ugly. No smiling allowed, looks like a mug shot.
    YOU AND ME, xox2010 and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I'll definitely go for the 10 yr option next time I renew. I find my passport only ever expires the year I go traveling LOL
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by CouponLover618 View Post
    Wow, these new fees are steep! To renew 2 adult passports and 2 kids (which I'll need to do in maybe 3 years), I will need to shell out $434, plus tax for the 10 year passport? That's a lot!!
    its steep upfront but your getting twice as long to use it. just think of all the memories that will be contained in the 10 year passport

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I'm really looking forward to the 10 year passport, five years passes in the blink of an eye. I worry about the picture though, because you can change a fair bit in 10 years, maybe not so much as an adult. I don't know how the pictures I had for my first passport were ever accepted. (Picture the heavy black eyeliner of a 14yr old and the slick ponytail that was in style at the time.) When I went to Europe a couple years later (and knew how to wear makeup like a normal person), every place I got held up because the photo looked nothing like me.

Quote Originally Posted by rock_climberjoe View Post
    i wish i had to option to get the 10 year passport when i got my last one. i travelled to europe and have visas and stamps in that passport. also while over there the EU is using the 10 year passport already and its enhanced with a microchip. i enjoy getting entry stamps in my passport and wish i had longer to get more of them.
    ^^ I love getting my passport stamped. I wish I could fill up a whole passport instead of having stamps scattered all throughout the pages of different passports.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes thanks for letting us know!

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Awesome info! thanks.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Don't forget if you have a CAA membership they will do passport photos for free once per year.
    xox2010 and ssbean like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Going for my 10 yr PP in July
    xox2010 likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    89 (100%)

You can thank the Canadian Government for both the increase in fee and the need for a passport. Canada introduced the passport to limit and reduce the British citizen groups, who were by law allowed in the country due to Canada being a common wealth country, but the government did not want certain groups. Canada was the first country to start the passport
    xox2010 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You have to wait until after July 1st for the new passport. I was going to go down on the 27th (my day off during the week), I called to ask if I could pay for the 10 year version. Nope. It has to be after July 1st. I mean it's not like they were going to issue it to me on the spot!
    xox2010 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I know of someone who wants that 10 yr passport but waiting for July might be a concern as item is needed for August travel stateside.

What a carrot to dangle in front of Canadians-sorry, you cannot get the passport until summer is underway (10 yr. passport applications).
    pippinelkhound likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I know of someone who wants that 10 yr passport but waiting for July might be a concern as item is needed for August travel stateside.

What a carrot to dangle in front of Canadians-sorry, you cannot get the passport until summer is underway (10 yr. passport applications).
    They are pretty quick abt it.

For normal delivery ( not urgent or express etc ) , they say its 10 business days , but usually it comes much sooner than that . Ask them to go in person to apply and not by mail or anything.

My last PP came in 4 days ..normal delivery with the usual regular fees ( not urgent or express or anything like that )

When you apply for your PP on the form they have a date of travel listed ( right hand corner ) ..make sure you right that date , they will give you a slight preference if your date is earlier.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for this. Did not know about it.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

It's going to be $120 for a five year, $160 for a ten year. Kids will be $57.

I went to the passport office at 11:30 and got a number. By noon they'd served four people. I figure by 12:30 I might get in! Fortunately I work in the same building.
    xox2010 and Baggravation like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for sharing the news. Don't think I'll be able to get it done today 'cause I totally caught this thread too late!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information