User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: I thought 2013 Would Be Better but a Cashier's Job Just Seems To Get Worse!

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

So today at work I was literally shocked and wonder how people think they can treat another human like this. I was working the express...1-16 items..I seen a women with a pretty big cartful I metioned to her just to let you know this is express with a limit of 16. Her reply? I can read B*tch. Well I guess she can't count she had 42 items. She carried on about everything. Even was complaining about customers behind her and how this was a free country. I think her friend was trying to hurry along. The customers after her said I handled it really well and were proud of me but I wasn't sure if I wanted to punch her or cry. Min Wage is NOT worth this job some days.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I can not stand inconsiderate people that sneak their way into the express lane. Nor do I like it when the cashier states they can help the NEXT person in line and the person from the back of the line tries to squeak their way ahead of the other 3 people that were waiting before them.

I always say to my hubby "just once I would like to say what is on my mind to the rude customers and trust me it would not be pretty"

Today I had an older gentleman say to me "just do what I told you to do". I felt like telling him to take a flying leap off a cliff but in stead I just smiled and cursed him under my breath. Idiots galore and it's only January.....sigh

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

WOW - that is just nasty. I used to work retail so I know what that's like. Just remember, she is probably not happy in her own life, so she is trying to make herself feel better by being miserable to others. Don't let the few bad people outweigh all the good!

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

You handled yourself well cause I would of said ma'am this is express and you have more items than 16 please go to the next available check out. I have been to Walmart a few times and I have seen cashiers do that and the customer didn't know what to say and left to another cashier. I have been a cashier at WM, Tim Horton's and other places and its not worth the $11/hr. My gf is a head cashier at WM in Ottawa and she says it horrible some days and other days she just loves her job and people make her smile.

CouponNewbie
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

aw I hope your 2013 gets better. People like that seem to have a chip on their shoulder, I mean what's the point of having an express line if people aren't going to follow the rules. You were just doing your job and there was no reason for her to give you that response. I could see if she had 20 items or so...but 42 come on...that's a big gap from 16!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I'm surprised you didn't call the manager. Any retailer worth shopping at would have asked her to leave the store. That kind of behaviour is completely inexcusable and no one -- including cashiers and customers -- should be subjected to that. My DD works at a bank and she has some pretty horrific stories, however her branch manager has also closed certain accounts and told offenders to take their business elsewhere. No matter what a person makes per hour, it's not enough to make up for being demeaned and sworn at.
    Last edited by DianneS; Thu, Jan 3rd, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
    So many coupons....so little time!

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

Not worth daying anything to my manger for cashiers she just tells me not to take things personally and toughen up lol

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KK7 View Post
    Not worth daying anything to my manger for cashiers she just tells me not to take things personally and toughen up lol
    Well, your manager sucks!!! How would she like it if you called her b*tch ??? I bet she'd take that personally! (Not that I'm suggesting it!!!)
    So many coupons....so little time!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KK7 View Post
    That is precisely what my own management says as well. They are more interested with the bottom line than their own employees, forgetting that their bottom line COMES from those employees
    pippinelkhound and coupondiva like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Yep there sure are some miserable people out there. I worked in the service industry for many years so I know and feel your pain. The good part is that I'm sure others that heard were totally on your side and cursing at her. Like Anastasia I have heard cashiers at Walmart tell people they have too many items and have to leave express. I'm glad when they do that...so is everyone else in line. Your manager should realize people in express line that have to wait for someone with too many items get annoyed at the store not enforcing the express rule.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

42 items, wow I think I would have told her to get in another line, probably not so nicely either. I feel guilty when I have one extra item in my basket if I go to the express. I have even offered to leave one item so I would be within the express number but always get a cashier that doesn't mind one exta item. I also line up with only 6 or 7 items in a regular line if my favourite cashier is working.
    Looking for FPC for almost everything. Growing teen boy eating me out of house and home. Visit my facebook page www.facebook.com/UneekCreations Will trade finished product from my Etsy shop.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I know how you feel, my last day at work before Christmas break I had a customer not so nicely tell me that I was fat and needed some exercise. ( Sure I am not thin but nor am I fat lol) So not looking forward to going back on Saturday. Most days being a cashier is very difficult but it has it's moments where it can be okay.
    coupondiva likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I see what you are saying but I also see what KK7 is saying. When working in customer service there is a fine line and yes I would like to say everyone is nice and polite when dealing with us that is not the reality. No one ever deserves to be sworn at and our Sales Manager at my work takes a strong stand on how our customers deal with the customer service reps but at the same time not every little thing that happens is reported to him, why because it is not always worth it. I have had people swear and for the most part a nicely worded email is sent to that customer's sales rep but only if it is not addresses will we involved the sales manager. Luckily it does not happen often but society is not perfect so sometimes we need to pick our battles.

Quote Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't call the manager. Any retailer worth shopping at would have asked her to leave the store. That kind of behaviour is completely inexcusable and no one -- including cashiers and customers -- should be subjected to that. My DD works at a bank and she has some pretty horrific stories, however her branch manager has also closed certain accounts and told offenders to take their business elsewhere. No matter what a person makes per hour, it's not enough to make up for being demeaned and sworn at.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Thu, Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Opps need to add all the words I think

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't understand why people are rude to cashiers, I feel sorry for them. On the flip side though, it's quite laughable going to the GUESS or Le Chateau store and having a snobby b*tchy staff that think they're all that with a cherry on top.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Ick, that's awful! I've worked as a cashier before, not always fun....

However, I'm sure there are LOTS of people who appreciate you!
    Mia001 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information