• 7 Post By Midnightly
  • 4 Post By sarah_cio
  • 1 Post By i_forget
  • 11 Post By DiamondLil
  • 4 Post By Darth Penguin
  • 4 Post By frugal50
  • 5 Post By hollyquaiscer
  • 1 Post By marstec

Thread: what attitude should i hold to a boss i don't like?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am a rookie in work, graduating the last year. I don't like my boss who always take us as a work machine and even are unhappy when I get off work on time. I can't show my respect in front of him, but he would think of me a arrogant guy. and not serious in work . the consequence is my salary and position will never change, but i don't want to be hypocritical at all. I am struggling. if you were me, what will you do?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by leonaj; Sun, Jan 6th, 2013 at 09:50 PM.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

work is never perfect.. i've watched my parents come home for years ranting about their Boss and the frustrating things they have said, done, expected.. i've seen them come home and then rant about co-workers..then as years progressed.. it was me coming home ranting about coworkers.. and hubby coming home and ranting about co-workers and bosses.. pretty much as long as there are other people in the workplace there will be something to rant about.. i don't think there is any 100% perfect work enviroment.. i'm sure if there was no other people working.. people would complain about how lonely it is at work lol
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

This is incoherent.
    Start your savings with Ing direct orange key: 14063041S1

Have you tried swagbucks? http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/sciotti

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have been a sthm mom for 7yrs now, but when I was working, I never took any crap and neither did the big boys.

Depends on who you are and what you want. If you want to be a big boy, then say what you think and roll with the punches, after you think it analogically. If you want to do your job and go home, agree and don't say anything.
    if you hate your job, look for a new one.
    ticul likes this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

my two cents..... (deep breath)....

You suck it up and be professional with your boss. You treat your boss with respect, your boss is YOUR BOSS, and other than if he/she is breaking the law you treat your boss with respect. Your boss is not your friend, and isnt supposed to be your friend. Dont expect a gold star over your name or a pat on the back when you do your work on time, youre supposed to do your work on time. Expect criticism, your boss isnt going to rant and rave on what a great employee you are. Constructive criticism will improve your work. You say you are struggling, is that with work or your personal situation? If you are struggling with work because you feel you cannot work for a person like your boss, I suggest you start looking for other employment NOW. Perhaps you will find better employment, but I think you will find its very hard to find work you love, especially at entry level which your post suggests you are ("rookie"). Heck in this day and age its tough to find work in some sectors.

I can only offer this suggestion, I have worked with people I dont like, and for bosses I didnt like. But if you like having a paycheque, I suggest you keep your personal feelings aside, and treat your boss professionally and with respect. You never know if/when you will need your boss' reference if and when you start looking for other employment, or when you are looking to move up within that business/organization.

Again, just my two cents. Good luck with your job.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

ITA DiamondLil..I've worked with good managers and those who were promated well out to thier comfort zone.

At the end of the day, they are in charge and unless you can have a working relationship with them, you are in deep trouble. It may mean biting your tongue and then talking the higher ground . Truely bad bosses relish causing strife amongst thier staff.

An incompetant boss can be worked around. If you can get a good relationship with your manager's manager, then you might be able to talk to him/her about the problems you are having especially if you are not the only one.

But at the end of the day, you need to learn to work with all kinds of people, just think or it as a skill you will be able to ulitise in another and better job.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

you have two choices
    either suck it up or quit
    i can't stand my co-workers
    but it comes with the job
    i need my paycheque.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Here is my opinioon, and it is just that, my opinion, not ment to hurt any feelings.You're there to do a job, not to be friends with your b oss and co-workers. It's great if that happens, but in the end, it's a job. You should act like an adult and do your job to the best of your ability, thats all that counts. If your boss is not patting you on the back every step of the way, it's because she/he is not a babysitter, they're a boss. I've worked a jobs where I was the best of friends with co-workers and my boss and others where Ii wasn't very happy and had not many friends as far as co-workers go. In the end, all you can do is be a mature adult, and if the job is causing you that much stress, look for another, then quit. Just remember, wherever you go, your boss will always be your boss and must be treated with respect and professionalism, they are not there to be your friend.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sarah_cio View Post
    This is incoherent.
    It's also a direct "cut and paste" post from another forum, so either it's the same person or it's someone who's filling in time until...spam?
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

One other thing...your boss is the one who writes your references for your later jobs..which is a huge reason not to alienate them..

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    It's also a direct "cut and paste" post from another forum, so either it's the same person or it's someone who's filling in time until...spam?
    thought I'd "seen" it before..

eta
    Last edited by leonaj; Today at 09:50 PM.

hum.....
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Sun, Jan 6th, 2013 at 11:00 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

"Shut up or quit"
    if the music's too loud, you are too old.

Thread Information