User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pet Insurance

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anybody have any experience with getting health insurance for their pets? I'm seeing plans for about $10 bucks a month.
    I'm coming back from a $1600 vet bill for a midnight emergency run last night and thinking that maybe it might be worth it?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    improperganda likes this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

We use Trupanion as recommended by our vet friends (it's who they use too). Our monthly payment is closer to $20 though but I know there are a lot of variables that determine the premium.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Hi.
    I see that this is your first post.
    Welcome to Smart Canucks.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

We don't use pet insurance. We have four cats and we put money away in an account that is the pet fund. That way, if we need it, it's there... If not, then we have the money for other purposes. Mind you, our vet bills are usually $100 - $200 at a time, not huge bills like $1600.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Men Coupon Too!
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Pet Insurance really is an emotional product... Depending on monthly payments, quite often it can be more beneficial to put that $$$ in a savings account it can be like 'self insuring'...

I am not 100% familiar with pet insurance, but there is a deductible, correct? So no matter what you need to pay the deductible. If you can put $25/mo into a savings account, by the time the pet is 5 years old (hopefully incident free for the first few years!) you'll have $1500 in the account... if you don't use it, you keep it...

I personally don't use pet insurance, although I have been very close to buying it... my dog is 2 years old and I am going to be putting $40/mo into an account for 'just in case', so if he has problems later in life there should be plenty to take care of it
    www.youneedynab.com
    - Stop dreading the word 'Budget', and start enjoying budgeting! -

Trading Score
    412 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoStumpy View Post
    Pet Insurance really is an emotional product... Depending on monthly payments, quite often it can be more beneficial to put that $$$ in a savings account it can be like 'self insuring'...

I am not 100% familiar with pet insurance, but there is a deductible, correct? So no matter what you need to pay the deductible. If you can put $25/mo into a savings account, by the time the pet is 5 years old (hopefully incident free for the first few years!) you'll have $1500 in the account... if you don't use it, you keep it...

I personally don't use pet insurance, although I have been very close to buying it... my dog is 2 years old and I am going to be putting $40/mo into an account for 'just in case', so if he has problems later in life there should be plenty to take care of it
    I really like this suggestion, We currently go through petcare and pay $18 per month, but I think I am going to also set up an account to put money into for the "just in case" as well. I'll build it up before I remove the insurance though, my dog is my best friend and I would do anything to help keep him here longer.. Even pay for something that we'll hopefully never have to use.
    Quickly & Easily Earn FREE $$ or Giftcards with Swagbucks.com

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yeah, at this point I think I'm just going to collect a rainy day fund just for pets as it seems kind of counter intuitive to get insurance AFTER the huge bill.
    and Shwa Girl, thank you

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm coming back from a $1600 vet bill for a midnight emergency run last night and thinking that maybe it might be worth it?

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Let me tell you about our experience with pet insurance.... In my opinion almost nothing in this world is worse than having to put an animal to sleep because of the $$ of treatment for an illness or injury.

We have dog who is now 7 years old. We got Trupanion insurance for him when we got him home at 8 weeks. I did ALOT of research on pet insurance cause I HATE spending money. This company and it is by far THE BEST company to deal with.... and I thank god everyday we have this policy.

We pay $40 a month. There is NO deductible on our policy. They also have NO lifetime maximum. Trupanion pays 90% of all sickness / emergency bills with the exception of taxes and the Doctor's initial exam (usually $50) . The best part is no matter how many claims we have or how old our little guy gets, the $ cost has never gone up. (Most companies will tell you that, but they WILL raise your premiums and call it something else). Trupanion has never even tried to raise our premiums.

Late last year our little guy became a diabetic. He has had numerous tests, blood work, scans etc. The resulting effects of the diabetes have resulted in changes to his eyesight. He has gone blind.
    Today we dropped him off at the Opthamologist vet for Cataract surgery. Cost for this surgery alone is well in excess of $8,000.00. They are covering it in it's entirety. No questions or problems, just had to send in an estimate of the costs for pe approval. The approved it same day, called the vet hospital and told them they would be covering the bill and called us to confirm. With the policy it will only cost us about $800.00 plus the taxes

I have 5 friends and 2 family members who have signed up with Trupanion. (no...I do not work for and I get nothing from them) I tell anyone I know who have a pet to get a policy.

With this latest bill included, we have claimed over $17,000 from this company in the last 4 years. Just his diabetic meds alone cost the company approx. $400.00 per month. They even pay 50% of his precription food from the vet and his supplements etc.

I always tell people if you can drop $5,000 at the vet and not have it effect your finances, then pet insurance is not worth it for you, but if you are like everyone else I know GET PET INSURANCE!!! I just applied on line (they are also known as vetinsurance). If you want you can also call in and speak to people.

I have had many, many dogs in the past 20 years and have paid ALOT of money on pet insurance for them over that time. I have never dealt with a better company. Having this insurance has removed the tough, difficult decision of having to decide wether or not we can afford to go ahead with treatment at the vet.
    improperganda and Autumn7 like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have been very fortunate that all of my dogs have lived extremely long lives. I have had pure breeds and mixed without any issues in health. I guess I have been extremely lucky in that department, even with my 3 dogs, we have had only one issue with a non cancerous tumor ($2000 vet cost). I have never purchased pet insurance nor needed it, but if I was looking for insurance, I would ask them what are the exceptions for their coverage. Eg, Cancer is covered, but not brain cancer etc.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

are there any home owners insurance suggestions around?
    Last edited by sarawilson; Thu, Jan 24th, 2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: more information

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have it for my one dog and will maintain it until I get his hips checked out to ensure he doesn't have hip dysplasia (he's a German Shepherd). If he does have HD, then I'll keep the insurance and use it to get him the surgery. If he doesn't have it and there doesn't appear to be any signs he will get it, then I'll cancel my policy. Although a $5,000 bill would feel like a punch in the gut, I have the money available and it wouldn't ruin me financially, so pet insurance isn't really for me.

Trading Score
    154 (100%)

I know this thread hasn't been active for a few months....but any opinions on Petsecure? (run through western financial I believe)
    Last edited by Autumn7; Sun, Apr 28th, 2013 at 07:51 PM.
    LOVE to trade

Try TreasureTrooper and receive a free $5 sign-up bonus

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The shelter I used to volunteer at used PetSecure (changed from another one) and found them much more reliable
    That being said, we also just put the money away. Very few policies have full coverage and ALL insurance companies will not pay a claim if they find a loophole to not pay it - I would rather I choose what options my animals have than my insurance company.
    improperganda and Autumn7 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I'm thinking about getting pet insurance as well. My dog already has issues and I know these wont be covered but just in case something else happens I want some sort of back up.
    Autumn7 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information