User Tag List

Page 281 of 449 FirstFirst ... 181 231 271 279 280 281 282 283 291 331 381 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 6729
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Calgary Coupon Hunters *HEADS UP*

Senior Canuck Goddess in this Household's Avatar
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tdjca View Post
    I hope you are right. Today was the first time I had heard of her blog as well and I was disappointed to see on one of her brags at least 3 stacks of enviro ziplocs (looked like at least 16 boxes) when so many on here are searching for them and finding the stores empty. I realize that part of the reason was to get the overage so the other things she was buying would be cheaper or free but not very fair to other shoppers who are trying to find a couple of boxes as well. I realize it is easy to get carried away and get caught up in getting great deals and things for free and not consider that someone else might need some of those things as well and the likelyhood of that product going on sale again is pretty good and you could pick it up at a later date and just get enough to last you 3 months for now(what they say the sales cycles at). It will be interesting to see what happens on Friday.
    Not to sound harsh, but the last thing I'm thinking of when I see a great sale is leaving some for an unknown, total stranger! All's fair in love and shopping. I don't think shortages are the consumer's issue, but rather the issue of the store that has a great sale on combined with a promotion for that product. They should provide enough stock for their sale or, barring that, provide a raincheque to the customer. If the store doesn't do this, then you need to consider whether you want to keep shopping there.

Can anyone tell me what time this show starts on Friday so that I can set the PVR? Thx!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneyv View Post
    That's interesting because I asked for a raincheck on an item the store had advertised but run out of right before Easter and was told by customer service that they don't give rainchecks anymore.

Did you have any trouble using multiple ziplock coupons?
    no trouble at all with multiple coupons and no issue with the overage on them, my cashier had actually asked the csr to come over and all he asked was "are there other items?" and that was that.

I used the coupons at the deerfoot meadows supercentre but got the raincheque at westbrook. The raincheque says they'll call me when the item comes in, I am most likely going to go in and get another raincheque for more ziplocks. we'll see how that goes

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have "cleared" shelves before... having said that it was not by buying 30 of something, usually it's 5 or less of an item. I think there is a fine line between hoarding and shopping smart. I did buy 10 boxes of ziplocks, they were a great deal, with or without the coupon and i will end up using all of them in less than 6 months (I run a dayhome and sometimes baggies are just easier) However, when you buy something and hoard it for you to use for the next 3 years... what's the point, really? part of the fun of couponing is finding the deals and being excited about it. if you buy yourself a lifetime supply of something, you never get to find a great deal on it again

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Yikes!!
    For all of your info.....yesterday Calgarycouponmama, did not have a single item in her cart, infact she was not even shopping.......lol!!!!! No cart, no binder, nothing!!!! She had popped in to see the ladies working at the LD, who all seem to like her, a lot.
    What she did have was a great friendly attitude, and respect and was so thrilled at finding another fellow coupon user with a binder.

Her source for inserts was a local newspaper, who used to deliver them to her in bundles. She did absolutely nothing wrong in this. If the papers are not using the excess inserts then this way they were being used. She has posted on her blog that that she has extra inserts and coupons to GIVE away!! On occasion she askes for a stamp in exchange........she does not trade them, GIVES them away!! That is very nice of her to do indeed...........

When we chatted we also talked about why the paper had so many excess inserts when they were not actually being delivered in the newspaper...as some of you, and I, have already experienced.
    That is another topic ...why do newspapers have so many extra inserts......... my boyfriend used to publish a magazine, all inserts are counted, to match the number of papers they go into. Some extra sure, but bundles and bundles has us both curious!!

Last night I read her blog, and upon checking her examples of sale prices and cpns used, I noticed that I have actually probably had a lot of those items for free or for a few pennies....... where she is happy to pay a dollar or 2 for them. We all have a certain price we are willing to accept to pay for certain items. Not everything is free.

As for clearing the shelves........ I certainly don't do that, and cannot speak for her..... but if her behaviour in her shopping habits are anything like the woman that I met yesterday, it would seem that shelf clearing is not one of them.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

What is shelf clearing??
    Taking the last one clears the shelf. Taking the last 5 can clear the shelf. Taking 30 of one item, but having purchased it in 5 different stores???

So if some of you walk past me and my cart has 20 of one item in it, what would you say? I shop for a large extended family, 5 different households, 10 people, that would be 2 of each item for every family member. Not excessive by far.

My Ziploc pile has been sufficient for over a month that I have not even bothered to chase around town to find any, I dont need to fortunately.
    It is very frustrating to drive to the other side of town and realise that the WalMart prices are not always the same...... and that the store next to me, has the better price, but no stock.......ak!! It happens to the best of us. I can't blame anyone other than just sheer bad luck at stock being not available when I walk into the store.
    Sometimes the stores have sales and just dont get their stock in time....
    sometimes other cpn shoppers have been there before me and took the last one off the shelves, I am happy for them..... they got the great deal..
    next time it will be me........lol!!!

Senior Canuck Goddess in this Household's Avatar
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Well said, Minouche!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Talking about price you are willing to pay....... even I in all my cpn smartness ended up making a faux pas yesterday with the great Dove deal at LD. Buy one at 5.99 and get one free. Last night I looked at my receipt and wondered what side of the bed I fell off from in the morning, to think that I was getting them for free...lol!!
    A stack of $20.00 in cpns for buy 6 get 6 Free, took 2 of each scent, leaving loads on the shelves!!
    In the same transaction I actually did have 4 x Olay bodywash that were free........ why did I pay for Dove ....really...I suck at maths, and it was noticible yesterday..haha!!!

This is the hard part of using cpns to the extent that we are now in our family. Prior to doing this, I would have been jumping for joy at walking away with my Dove bodywash at $ 1.33 per bottle........ really........ not free, but almost if you look at LD pricing......but not at Superstore prices,........ bleck!!!
    Guess I was blinded by the buy one get one effect.......lol!!!

So who else gets sometimes blinded by some offer only to realise when at home that it was not so great after all???

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

When i can get great deals i pass them on... to my children... room mate.. friends and parents... I calculate my needs... then pass the rest on based upon their needs... a family that uses 4 ziploc and is low income needs them more then mom and dad who never pack a lunch... i think most of us pass deals on... cause who wants to go from couponing to having a house so full you can no longer enjoy it. When your couponing please really consider your actual needs. Maybe this is a good time to discuss what you need and how to plan out your stock to newbies.
    This is how i organize what i need and what to stock and the amount i need.
    Your needs for the next week or 2 come first. So i make the needs list. Then i look for the bargains and the sweet deals. If it is a food item i consider what i need for a 6 month supply. (based on the sales happening every 6 months) If it is a free item that isn't food i go for a 1 year supply if it is a freebie or they pay me to take it. I realize everyone does this differently and i will never get a bigger supply then that... because products change and get better in time. You don't purchase a 20 year supply of orange throw cushions because you like the color today. Coupons and couponing the way we do is to save money and enhance our lives... not to have our walls enclose on us and confine us.... i am curious... what do you all set for limits on your stock?.. do you limit it to a certain amount of cabinet space... enough to sustain you for a certain period ect? What do you consider to be reasonable?

Trading Score
    112 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by minouchefreedom View Post
    Yikes!!
    For all of your info.....yesterday Calgarycouponmama, did not have a single item in her cart, infact she was not even shopping.......lol!!!!! No cart, no binder, nothing!!!! She had popped in to see the ladies working at the LD, who all seem to like her, a lot.
    What she did have was a great friendly attitude, and respect and was so thrilled at finding another fellow coupon user with a binder.

Her source for inserts was a local newspaper, who used to deliver them to her in bundles. She did absolutely nothing wrong in this. If the papers are not using the excess inserts then this way they were being used. She has posted on her blog that that she has extra inserts and coupons to GIVE away!! On occasion she askes for a stamp in exchange........she does not trade them, GIVES them away!! That is very nice of her to do indeed...........

When we chatted we also talked about why the paper had so many excess inserts when they were not actually being delivered in the newspaper...as some of you, and I, have already experienced.
    That is another topic ...why do newspapers have so many extra inserts......... my boyfriend used to publish a magazine, all inserts are counted, to match the number of papers they go into. Some extra sure, but bundles and bundles has us both curious!!

Last night I read her blog, and upon checking her examples of sale prices and cpns used, I noticed that I have actually probably had a lot of those items for free or for a few pennies....... where she is happy to pay a dollar or 2 for them. We all have a certain price we are willing to accept to pay for certain items. Not everything is free.

As for clearing the shelves........ I certainly don't do that, and cannot speak for her..... but if her behaviour in her shopping habits are anything like the woman that I met yesterday, it would seem that shelf clearing is not one of them.
    Well said! A lot of people seem to be passing judgement on this lady, when they have never met her, don't know her shopping habits, and really don't know anything about her. It would make me feel really bad if people were judging me so freely!
    Win daily prizes worth $150 to $10000 sign up here!! I've won 3x $150 GCs since Jan.2012
    http://www.todaysdraw.com/?invite=5780

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

by the way, I do believe that Calgarycouponmama is a member on here and does read the threads.

All of us have great ways of saving for our families, some different than others......in the long run, most of us are able to help each other by using our skills in a positive way, reporting what we see in clearance bins, where there is stock etc.

There are so many different ways of doing the same thing, sometimes one of us thinks of it and share it, other times we prefer to keep certain knowledge to ourselves....... usually in my case I am only too happy to share my knowledge and info..... in the long run I know that it means there will be less for me to find, and it is a difficult fact of life, the more knowledge is shared, the less there will be for us.

I personally find it gratifying when another shopper is happy and grateful that I have shared a way of saving money with them. Call me selfish, I get a good feeling from their positive feedback....lol!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Excellent question/point Cheekysaver........ what are my limits on stock??
    Really have not thought on this one too much.
    As I type here, Rick is downstairs making shelving in the sadly crowded little basement storage room, where the small freezer stands..... we have a long skinny space that runs along the downstairs bathroom, and the outside wall. Who planned that wasted space, not us, it was there before we moved here...lol!! I have to walk very carefully in that area, its not very wide. 2 feet deep / wide shelving will be at the far end, to accomodate stuff!!! It will become a storage shelving area, to put our extra stock. But I digress......

What kind of quantity do I personally like to have....... your guidelines sound about the same as mine.
    When my daughters visit they like to go downstairs and "shop". My middle daughter lives in a small apartment, so likes me to keep stuff for her...."no space mom" she says....lol!!!!

My freezer is now full, and I am not happy, its tiny...... 8 boxes of Dr Oetkler, approx 20 boxes of free ground beef, a few loaves of bread, and a few other bags of chicken, box of cheese slices, I would like to have more meat, and vegetables in it...... apprx 4 bags corn / beans, some premade meals, plus bread when I find it for almost free. Maybe I should ask my ex husband who lives on his own, for the large freezer from our old place...... there are 4 of us here and a tiny freezer just is not working for us.....lol!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'm sorry if I was out of line or stepped on anyones toes. Personally if a store has a really good sale and I am planning on stocking up I will go to more than one store so that I am not clearing out stock in one store (if there are only a couple left on the shelf I do not consider that clearing a shelf in the sense that we have been talking about.). I try not to take more than half of what is on the shelf (again as long as there are not just few left). For example last weekend I stocked up on Sidekicks as they were on sale and my coupons were expiring. I went to 4 different Superstores to get what I needed so that I left lots at each store.

I'm shopping for 3 household, 6 in ours, my parents and in laws so a total of 10 people. Trying to be fair and doing it this way takes alot of time and planning and I'm thinking I have been wasting my time and effort. It seems most peoples opinion has been first come first serve so I'm not going to worry too much about it anymore and save myself some time.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyincowtown View Post
    Well said! A lot of people seem to be passing judgement on this lady, when they have never met her, don't know her shopping habits, and really don't know anything about her. It would make me feel really bad if people were judging me so freely!
    I would just like to point out in case anyone misunderstood my first post that I am not judging Calgary coupon mama. I read her blog and find she is very helpful and responsive to Facebook questions. My judgement , right or wrong, was directed at BT. I am just fearful that they won't care about responsible couponing and will want to know how to do things the TLC way. I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting myself in a situation where I was not in control of how I was presented.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I sort of feel like I'm interrupting here but...

I am in Calgary for a short while visiting from the east coast...I brought all of my coupons with me in the hopes of starting to trade, but I haven't really had the time to sort and list and such. I am guessing I have over 100 coupons that will expire soon (lots of may 23 and 31st) that I will not use. I was hoping I could just mail them to someone here in the city (so they can get them fast) and in return I could get a trade rating.
    So basically, I will send these coupons to the first person in Calgary (or close by, it doesn't matter to me, but I figure you'll want them soon!) to pm me their name and address. I won't list them all, but I will say there is a fpc for nice 'n easy color foam hair color that expires May 31.

Also a question...Can someone explain the coupon stacking policies at London Drugs? We don't have LD in the east. Thanks!

Trading Score
    112 (100%)

ok please let me clarify!!! My comments were not meant to be directed at any individual! and it was not my intention to make anyone feel bad about their comments. We are all entitled to our opinions and we are all free to say what we like. It just seemed that for a few pages the thread had gotten rather negative and I do not want anyone to feel slighted or looked down upon for shopping a certain way. I agree that TLC's extreme couponing kind of gives us "serious couponers" a bad name and misrepresents the majority of coupon users. I also think that it would be very hard to try and make a Canadian couponer look that way, simply because we don't have the same options as the Americans. It is up to the viewers to make their own opinions about how they interpret what is presented to them. I think that most people watching will "wish" that they could save money like that, may even start collecting a few coupons here and there, but I think few will actually seek out exactly how it is all done and put the time and effort in that it takes to become a "pro couponer" Just as an example, my family ooohs and aaaahs over my savings and small stockpile, but none of them have started doing it themselves even though I have offered to show them how its done.
    I just want this thread to be a place where everyone can feel welcome and get a friendly reception no matter how they shop, stockpile, or shelf clear. In the end we are all on here because we want to save money. It is wonderful that we can all share our information with each other to help find deals. The effect of it though is the more people that know about the deals, the quicker they will go. It is not just SC members reading this afterall. There are tons of SC guests that come on simply to get the info, as i type this there are currently 3 guests viewing this thread!
    I really hope I didn't make anyone feel bad and I'm truly sorry if I did.
    Win daily prizes worth $150 to $10000 sign up here!! I've won 3x $150 GCs since Jan.2012
    http://www.todaysdraw.com/?invite=5780

Thread Information