User Tag List

View Poll Results: TLC's extreme couponing good or bad?

Voters
413. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change!

37 8.96%
  • Change for the better

48 11.62%
  • Change for the worse

237 57.38%
  • too early to tell

91 22.03%
Page 60 of 114 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 110 ... LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: TLC Extreme Couponing

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aoffman View Post
    I watched it last night, and it made me think, what do the grocery store chains and manufacturers think of the show? Are these extreme couponers going to ruin it for the 'little guy'? I'd hate to think couponing will change just after I get into it
    It might, but I've seen enough comments from people watching the show that think coupons are only for junk food that it might cause a bubble, but it will die down eventually.

As for the manufacturers and stores, I think it's actually free publicity and another occupation to sell more products. I know it's true for myself, since I started buying laundry detergent on sale with coupons instead of just picking the one brand I've used for years.

Also, I remember watching news reports (on ABC's 20/20 for example) in the 80 and 90s that showed extreme couponers, so it's not new.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by browngirl82 View Post
    He didn't discuss however, how he was able to get discounts on renovations, electronics, clothing, etc. I would love to know how he was able to use coupons for renos? That's really interesting...
    We get coupons/referrals in the mail and newspapers here regularly from local companies. At special exhibitions too, like the Spring Home and Garden Show that we just had recently where vendors will hand out coupons. They're usually for a limited time offer. I personally have seen discounts on services like carpet cleaning, foundation repairs, junk removal, landscaping, lawn care, and a lot more that I can't remember right now because it wasn't a service that I was looking for.

Groupon will also have good deals sometimes. One of my friends bought a coupon to have her house spring cleaned just before Easter.

Having said that, you really need to know how much it costs to make sure you're getting a deal.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If something is in a flyer that doesn't mean it's sale sometimes it's a price increase.Do like the lady did on Extreme Couponing did check out the prices before she bought.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Extreme Couponing is going to be on SkyTV in the U.K.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

I have to admit, I love watching the show. Partly for the awe factor and partly because I might learn something to help my own couponing.
    It does make me very jealous that I don't live in the States. (Though I can't picture myself ever living there, even though my BF is in the States.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

May 18 Chrystie & Treasure Chrystie a newcomer to couponing has a stockpile that is slowing taking over every spare space in her small home.Meanwhile Treasure starts couponing to save the family business but now has a stockpile worth over $35,000

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I strongly dislike this show

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I wonder how long it'll be before TLC does, a Canadian Extreme Couponing episode? ...and what kind of "WOW" factor they'll have....and not to do it at London Drugs....but, at a store with no stacking, the way, majority of us have to do it.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Here's something random I found in a "Secrets of your job" thread on another site:

Kohl's

- I never worked here, but the greatest retail secret I hold is about Kohl's. There is a store policy that states if a customer requests it, the cashier is to grant them up to 50% off of any or all of their purchase items. You read that correctly. If you go to the register, put all your stuff down and say, "And I like 50% off of all of this," they're required to give it to you. Most associates aren't familiar with this, and some try to argue, but they'll eventually find out it's true through management. I had an aunt work there that found this out. My Kohl's purchases have been cheap for years.

Gosh darn those lucky Americans!

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    Here's something random I found in a "Secrets of your job" thread on another site:

Kohl's

- I never worked here, but the greatest retail secret I hold is about Kohl's. There is a store policy that states if a customer requests it, the cashier is to grant them up to 50% off of any or all of their purchase items. You read that correctly. If you go to the register, put all your stuff down and say, "And I like 50% off of all of this," they're required to give it to you. Most associates aren't familiar with this, and some try to argue, but they'll eventually find out it's true through management. I had an aunt work there that found this out. My Kohl's purchases have been cheap for years.

OMG

I want to shop there.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post

Kohl's

I find that very hard to believe.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Me too. Sounds like an urban legend to me.

ETA I found this on how to save money at Kohl's
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Sun, May 8th, 2011 at 09:58 PM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Some people say it's true and confirm it, others say it's untrue at their store. I can't be sure because I've never been to a Kohls, but if there is even a shred of truth to it, lucky ducklings.

Wrinkles
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I wish that TLC would use one of the shows to explain and figure out the mess that the different stores policy for using coupons. Sometimes the coupon is ok and other times it is not. Sometimes there is an actual policy sometimes there is not. Some times the cashier is in a bad mood and sometimes she is not. You see it is very confusing to know which store accepts what and to even get the same answer 2 days in a row. I guess what we need is a Canadian show to take interest in couponing and base it on Canadian shoppers and the stores in Canada. Guess a girl can hope!!!Anyone else finding themself confused? TLC is getting us all excited and ready to shop with coupons, the stores and the cashiers are standing in our way!! ( if you are a cashier please do not take this the wrong way, I feel that the store is not always explaining the policies to the cashiers)

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Only a few can really coupon the way they do - also the store makes $$ plus extra for the coupons and it also helps them move inventory and that looks great for the store. My only wish would be that the nice cashiers on the show would be realatiy most give us a hard time and that is not great for customer service.

Page 60 of 114 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 110 ... LastLast

Thread Information