• 2 Post By lindsbeth112984
  • 1 Post By avrose
  • 1 Post By Minou
  • 3 Post By Peachykeen2007

Thread: Kijiji robberies

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Did anybody happen to catch the article on Winnipeg sun or winnipeg free press? about the people that were getting robbed at gun point responding to a kijiji ad?

This has me worried! as friday night i am suppose to be having somebody come over and buy a helicopter off me.My husband sells remote control helicopters and i sometimes sell them on the side to be helpful.Well somebody responded to my ad and told me they buy one if they can see that it flys..so i said no problem and arranged to meet friday in front of my apartment building.Then today i read the newspaper and i e-mail and ask if i can meet him with my husband at K.P mall in the food court and he says no thats to far out of his drive..so i then sent another e-mail and asked if we could meet at cityplace mall since its basically right next door to me and i told him about the article and how i feel it be in both our best interest to meet in a public setting.

waiting on a reply..god i hope he is legit.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    MeMew likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...191099371.html

for those that have not read it yet.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

wow, that's so scary. Thanks for sharing the news. You'd better arrange an appointment at a time when your DH could be with you and I agree that meeting in a public place seems to be safer.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    -1 (0%)

Yikes ! I rarely use Kijij other than for Fundraiser ads/garage sales etc.
    IF I were to buy something from someone, its always in a public place with lots of people around.
    Polo Pk St Vital Centre etc etc. Not wihin walking distance of home or where you work (or even hang out)
    And I NEVER go straight home after.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

Somebody always has to go and ruin a good thing.
    gourmetsue and vesper like this.

Trading Score
    63 (100%)

That's crazy. I use Kijiji often. But I make sure to always meet in public & I never go alone.
    gourmetsue and vesper like this.
    Join Swagbucks to start earning Amazon gift cards & Paypal $$$!
    Join Swagbucks!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is so horrible!

Maybe use a very masculine name in the ads, like Biff, Magnus or Dunlop. And I would even suggest making verbal contact over the phone, with a real number, not blocked.

I only use kijiji to give away kittens and always interview the folks interested. I qualify them before I waste any ones time.

Tim Hortons is probably the best place to suggest meeting. Law enforcement officers are regular guests, they have security cameras, and if the person did not have good intentions, they probably would want to meet in the alley behind The Erwin Motor Inn.

Trading Score
    92 (100%)

wow we use kijiji a lot, bf does a lot of computer and tv fixes and resells, but he always talks to them on the phone before meeting.
    gourmetsue likes this.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avrose
    Check out Tangerine with my Orange Key!! 40411099S1

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

When we were down sizing we used Kijiji a lot. And even now I still have stuff on there.. AND I will not be changing my practice of having them come to my home because of "stupid" thieves. According to the article they lured the prospective buyers to their home and then robbed them. How often can you pull that one off?

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Well, the thing is, the thieves knew the victims would have hundreds in dollars in cash on them because the victims were planning to use the money to buy an iphone 5. The thieves, posing as sellers, gave them a false address and then robbed them on the way back to the car.

I don't think a helicopter buyer would assume that you had a pile of cash with you if you're the seller. Do make sure that your husband is present when you have the buyer come by.
    gourmetsue likes this.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

Honestly that is crazy but like I always tell customers if you are buying a phone off of kijiji or used winnipeg ALWAYS meet at a MTS store or other provider - if the seller refuses then I would pass as either the phone is stolen or is not legit!!!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I myself have sold many thing on here and people always came to my house and when heard about this on the news I myself was shock ,that being said I been selling on Kiiji for 3 years never had an problem with having stranges coming to my house there always a risk factor and find it sad how some people can ruin a great thing ,did you hear anything back yet??

Thread Information