• 1 Post By Mia001
  • 1 Post By littlebean
  • 1 Post By CDNrunner
  • 1 Post By bargain_hunter_lola
  • 1 Post By shmeelady
  • 1 Post By torontogal12
  • 2 Post By muggos0101
  • 1 Post By Candini

Thread: WW Smart Ones frozen meals - what do you think?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

With the recent coupons out for these meals, we bought some, and thought I'd share my experience with them so far.

Add your reviews, too!

I didn't buy these necessarily because of WW, but just to have some convenience meals on hand.

I'm not a picky eater at all, there are very few things I dislike. One thing, though, I can't handle spicy whatsoever, so any comments regarding that can be taken with a grain of salt!
    Note - I don't eat a lot at all, but these are very small portions!

Slow roasted turkey breast with gravy and garlic-herb roasted potatoes:

Turkey was really good, relatively 'real'. Gravy wasn't thickened at all, more like juices, but was tasty.
    Didn't notice any flavour to potatoes at all - Swanson uses fake potatoes, too, but they are tastier!
    Totally surprized to find there was no veggie! (yes, I know potatoes are a veg, but you know what I mean...) I had a hunk of lettuce with it.

Gah, I just looked at the ingredients list - OY! Took me longer to read it than it did to eat it! Turns out they are all like that - not shocked, after all, it's convenience food!

Cranberry turkey medallions - w/roasted potato wedges, carrots, green beans:

Wondered about this all being in a sauce at first, but it wasn't sweet or overwhelming, it was quite nice tasting.
    Better turkey than the above reviewed meal.
    Potatoes were yummy! Carrots fine, but even with more cooking the beans were still hard.

Orange Sesame Chicken:

This has breaded chunks of chicken - actually quite good, coating didn't get mushy.
    Comes with white rice, and there are little pieces of broccoli, yellow carrots, and red pepper. I took the red peppers out (yuck!).

Sauce is nice consistency, it's VERY orangey flavoured and a bit too much gingery for me. I added a packet of soy sauce to try counteract those flavours, and it was better.
    ? No sesame flavour, nor seeds that I noticed, but they are listed....
    My spice-o-meter - just a little spicy, bearable for me.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Natalka; Fri, Jan 18th, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
    Mia001 and muggos0101 like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I have bought a few because of the coupons and sales. I primarily use them for quick lunches at work when I don't have any leftovers. I usually will supplement them with a salad because, I agree with you, the portions are on the smallish side. In general I like them, but I prefer the Lean Cuisine.
    Mia001 and Natalka like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have never tried these as I have heard even though they are WW they still have quite a bit of sodium in them. In general due to the sodium content to I don't even really look at these.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I love them! I love the cranberry turkey one, the pizzas are quite good and love love love the deserts. Whenever I go to the states I load up on their ice cream deserts. I think they're definitely the best quality frozen meal out there. I love that we're finally seeing coupons for them!
    Mia001 and Natalka like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

i also bought some for when i don't feel like cooking anything......DH would not eat it at any conditons.....he said the chicken in lean cuisine's is 'fake chicken' because of the texture lol
    like Natalka, i'm not a picky person ....i tried the first one she describe.....also surprised about the vegetables, was satisfied with the meat (i don't eat a lot of meat)
    also the potatoes doesn't really have a taste....so i poor the extra (like many) gravy on it .....then was yummy
    -------------------------------
    tried one with shrimps in it.........you said 'shrimps'......where are they ( 3-4) small ones.....not the taste i know shrimps taste
    tried one with rice and beans....----same with beans, only a few of them found in it
    ------------------------------------------
    in conclusion....most of them have more pasta-rice than other ingredients.....rare vegetables and some have very small meat(protein ) portion.....
    the practicle thing about Lean cuisine and WW....is the WW points equivalences are written on the boxes......if one is on WW flexi points diet, she (he) doesn't have to count the points.....

------------------------------------------------------------

amongst all (the few) i've tried so far....my favorite is 'chicken parmesian' lean cuisine ( already bought this before).....with a salad it's acceptable

as, like the others participants,
    i bought different ones but not tried them all yet, i thing this thread is in progress.....as we (i) will have an update when we (i) try new ones.....
    and i would like to hear about the new Healty Choice we have BOGO coupon and are on sale at WM for $2.**

good thread Natalka
    Last edited by Mia001; Sat, Jan 26th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    63 (100%)

With the coupons I've seen lately, added to the fact they are WW, have made me wonder how these are. Might have to try them for myself.
    Natalka likes this.
    Join Swagbucks to start earning Amazon gift cards & Paypal $$$!
    Join Swagbucks!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Sorry Natalka. Negatory on the WW. Fiber is o.k for most meals. Vitamin content is o.k. Sodium - too much!!!!
    Hopefully, this is the only negative comment you see.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Sorry Natalka. Negatory on the WW. Fiber is o.k for most meals. Vitamin content is o.k. Sodium - too much!!!!
    Hopefully, this is the only negative comment you see.
    agree, all those prepared meals always have too much sodium in them.....some canned ...like soups,vegetables, etc....have a reduced in salt version.....and reduced in fat version too....

so, people who have to watch their intake sodium must be carefull....

on the other hand, i don't know if it's the generlity, i noticed the helderly home care meals aren't low salt, and have lot of spice in them......they say it's because as we aged we lose sense ot taste and the one that last at last are saltty, spicy and sweet.....did you notice that elderly people LIKE deserts...
    Last edited by Mia001; Sun, Jan 27th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

Try the Chicken Parmesan...I wasn't sure if I would like it, since I thought the marinara sauce would be too plain and I had tried a chicken parm from lean cuisine ages ago and didn't like it, BUT......to my surprise.....it was excellent!!! a great size of chicken breast, the noodles didn't get soggy at all, and the sauce was tasty! I added a bit of cheese and YUMMY!!!!

If you do not like spice, DO NOT try the thai chicken with rice noodles......HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! my mouth was on FIRE and I couldn't taste anything!!!! They definitely received a comment from me lol.
    Natalka likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The Sante Fe Rice is the best frozen meal I have ever had! I buy those ones to put in the freezer as an "emergency" meal for work if I didn't have time to pack any leftovers or any time to make a salad. I'd recommend these ones for sure, haven't tried any of the other kinds yet though.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I bought a bunch when I started WW just to make it easy (fast meal and the points are right on them).

I didn't like them. For the amount of points, you can make a much bigger and healthier meal.

Taste wise, I liked a few more than others but sadly the smart ones products I REALLY love are found only in the US (ice creams). Now those I really like, most are 2 points for a pretty yummy bowl of ice cream.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

I have stocked up quite a bit with the recent $5 coupon that was released. I find these great for lunches at work, paired with a side of veggies or fruit it ties me right over until dinner.

I tend to stick to what I know I like though.
    My personal faves that I have no problem eating over and over and over are..

- Chicken Fajita Pizza
    - Ravioli Florentine
    - Chicken Parmesan (seriously the best, I just ate this for lunch two weeks straight. LOL)
    Natalka likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Some of these are mega disgusting and some are ok. The shrimp pasta for one, I cannot believe. Like eating spoonfulls of salt. I couldn't finish it and I threw it out. The spinach lasagna and cheese ravioli were similar saltfests but tolerable and not gross like the shrimp. DH said the turkey is ok, but not better than Stouffers. I haven't tried taht one. The breakfast quesadillas are actually pretty good and I stock up on them from tiime to time
    Natalka likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    With the recent coupons out for these meals, we bought some, and thought I'd share my experience with them so far.

Add your reviews, too!

I didn't buy these necessarily because of WW, but just to have some convenience meals on hand.

I'm not a picky eater at all, there are very few things I dislike. One thing, though, I can't handle spicy whatsoever, so any comments regarding that can be taken with a grain of salt!
    Note - I don't eat a lot at all, but these are very small portions!

Slow roasted turkey breast with gravy and garlic-herb roasted potatoes:

Turkey was really good, relatively 'real'. Gravy wasn't thickened at all, more like juices, but was tasty.
    Didn't notice any flavour to potatoes at all - Swanson uses fake potatoes, too, but they are tastier!
    Totally surprized to find there was no veggie! (yes, I know potatoes are a veg, but you know what I mean...) I had a hunk of lettuce with it.

Gah, I just looked at the ingredients list - OY! Took me longer to read it than it did to eat it! Turns out they are all like that - not shocked, after all, it's convenience food!

Cranberry turkey medallions - w/roasted potato wedges, carrots, green beans:

Wondered about this all being in a sauce at first, but it wasn't sweet or overwhelming, it was quite nice tasting.
    Better turkey than the above reviewed meal.
    Potatoes were yummy! Carrots fine, but even with more cooking the beans were still hard.

Orange Sesame Chicken:

This has breaded chunks of chicken - actually quite good, coating didn't get mushy.
    Comes with white rice, and there are little pieces of broccoli, yellow carrots, and red pepper. I took the red peppers out (yuck!).

Sauce is nice consistency, it's VERY orangey flavoured and a bit too much gingery for me. I added a packet of soy sauce to try counteract those flavours, and it was better.
    ? No sesame flavour, nor seeds that I noticed, but they are listed....
    My spice-o-meter - just a little spicy, bearable for me.
    So, Natalka, you're saying it was 'relatively real'... I think I will relatively not try it
    Natalka and Crochetlady like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I liked the bagged Smart ones - There was a chicken/cheese one which was kind of nice. I`m very particular about meat though in packages and I found the chicken had a lot of 'tendons' on it

Have not tried the dinners mentioned yet
    Natalka likes this.

Thread Information