User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: HP Notebook in flyer for sale starting tomorrow...should I buy?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    240 (100%)

My laptop is toast and does not make sense to fix it :0(.....it's a dinosaur anyways but now I want to get another one instead of using a tablet...much easier.
    I see that there is a computer in the flyer starting tomorrow that's for $299.99(don't know if this is a sale price or regular price).
    The ad says Hewlett Packard 15.6" 320/4g Notebook...while quantities last. No rainchecks.
    I have points that I can redeem (highest level) so that would bring the price down.
    Now all I need it for is for checking email, surfing, and of course SC'ing.....so I'm guessing this would suffice.
    Anyone with advice is much appreciated.....would this work right out of the box or do I have to buy windows and programs and/or whatever?
    This thread is currently associated with: Microsoft

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kk008 View Post
    My laptop is toast and does not make sense to fix it :0(.....it's a dinosaur anyways but now I want to get another one instead of using a tablet...much easier.
    I see that there is a computer in the flyer starting tomorrow that's for $299.99(don't know if this is a sale price or regular price).
    The ad says Hewlett Packard 15.6" 320/4g Notebook...while quantities last. No rainchecks.
    I have points that I can redeem (highest level) so that would bring the price down.
    Now all I need it for is for checking email, surfing, and of course SC'ing.....so I'm guessing this would suffice.
    Anyone with advice is much appreciated.....would this work right out of the box or do I have to buy windows and programs and/or whatever?
    Yes it will work right out of the box . It will come pre-installed with Windows ( probably the latest version Windows 8 )

The only problem is that SDM has a horrible return policy when it comes to electronics.

If you buy it And its defective or anything , you have to deal with the manufacturer.

I know SDM's which don't even take back completely sealed/ unopened electronics with a receipt ..they make up their own policy as they go along when it comes to electronics..the stores have their own policy and the SDM head office completely different.

See link below.

http://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/engli...icy/index.html

• Electronics
      • Returns will only be given if original product is returned in the original sealed box in saleable condition with a receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase
      • In some instances you may be required to deal directly with the manufacturer.

• DVDs, VHS movies, video games, CD’s and software.
      • Returns will ONLY be offered if the product is in it’s original packaging, unopened, in saleable condition, with receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase.
      • Exchanges will ONLY be offered if the original is defective, after opening, with receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase.

• Needles
      • A refund will be offered only on unopened original package, with a receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Sat, Jan 12th, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
    kk008 and bluzsuz like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

http://www.facebook.com/shoppersdrug...50402096781191

Checkout this lady's experience ( above ) trying to return a sealed/ unopened XBOX with receipt 5 days after she boughtit !

The last line is so vague and ambiguous . In what instances ? They don't specify ! So on one hand they are saying you can return unopened electronics but when you go to return it , they can point to the last line and say , " Well in this instance , you can't " ..make up your mind SDM , either you can or you can't !

If its opened forget it ! Even its defective ,physically broken or whatever they won't care , you will have to deal with the manufacturer !

• Returns will only be given if original product is returned in the original sealed box in saleable condition with a receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have thought about that too. Can you get 20% off with the senior discount by maybe getting help from a family member? Otherwise I would rather get one refurbished from Best Buy. Today I missed out as there was one Lenovo (IBM) Intel i5 6GB 750HDD for only $375. It was sold out. I have been kicking myself for missing it.In my opinion this laptop from SDM is also an older style. I would consider buying if it were $240 and get bonus points if possible.

And, at least I got some minimal customer service from buying from a store that sales big ticket items. Majority of the time I spent over $100 at the SDM and I was never impressed with them : cashiers don't get commissions so they usually give me their grumpy faces with me using a few coupons; when I return a few items they are not the most friendly. They probably think if I don't shop there then they don't have to work and I am there to inconvenience them. No one in their stores has ever thanked me for spending my $ there and I always feel that I am inconveniencing them. Why give them the business if you can get a better deal +services and warranties from other friendly stores? This is only my personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/shoppersdrug...50402096781191Checkout this lady's experience ( above ) trying to return a sealed/ unopened XBOX with receipt 5 days after she boughtit ! The last line is so vague and ambiguous . In what instances ? They don't specify ! So on one hand they are saying you can return unopened electronics but when you go to return it , they can point to the last line and say , " Well in this instance , you can't " ..make up your mind SDM , either you can or you can't !If its opened forget it ! Even its defective ,physically broken or whatever they won't care , you will have to deal with the manufacturer !
    Last edited by Mida; Sat, Jan 12th, 2013 at 02:01 AM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I got one just after Christmas at this price - did a $170 redemption and got 20x points on balance. Because I was there on a 20x time I grabbed a box of smarties for .99 cents to get the subtotal up to $300. It was roughly $340 with tax - $170 = about $170 OOP (enviro fee added). Here are the specs. It has windows 8, 1.7Ghz processor, 2GB RAM, x64 processor. I have installed AVG and MS office. I have uninstalled all the preinstalled bloat ware that I did not need. I use it for the internet like you are talking about but I also use it for work - word reports, excel, faxing, etc. I just save my MS work on a flash drive. I was a bit worried about this computer because of the specs but it has been excellent so far. I am new to Windows 8 so that has been the biggest challenge for me - learning the desktop and all that. But in the end I would highly recommend this computer for basic internet and word processing. I would not hesitate to get another one. If you get a dud out of the box then you would deal with HP. They are generally good and as others have mentioned SDM is not the only store that defers back to the manufacturer for returns, exchanges, repairs. If you do it this weekend you would qualify for the Double/Double promo on the balance so a $10 SDM GC and a $10 Tim's card.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

If its just for general use, might also look at getting a tablet instead
    carlyincanada and kidsteph like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    240 (100%)

Thanks for all the replies...keep them coming :0)
    I already have a few tablets...it's just that I like an actual "keyboard" for easy typing.
    May consider the HP...but will check to see if that is the regular price and if so, go on Thursday for 20% off Seniors Day(bring mom) and hope they still have stock as well as use my points redemption....the double + double isn't good enough..lol.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

You found a coupon where?
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I want to say that HP customer service is absolutely amazing. My husband and I keep going back to buying HP laptops when we upgrade because of their attitudes to the customer. Anytime something has malfunctioned they've sent us a box with instructions on how to send to them without any cost to us. Usually we have a fixed laptop back to us within a week.

This Christmas my boys got a Gateway laptop from their nana & poppa from Walmart. They were playing on it and walked over with it to show their dad something and somehow the screen shattered. They didn't drop it or hit it or anything. It was just 2 weeks old, so we called Gateway. They techie rep was horrible, my husband had to repeat the problem repeatedly like he was talking to a kindergärtner. So the rep says box it up and send it to us. My husband said we have to pay for the shipping? He said yes but they will pay to send it back to you. The rep also mentioned that he wasn't sure if it was covered under warranty but they'd let us know once they had it. Needless to say we brought it back to Walmart as our inlaws had the receipt and they took it back without any issues and got the kids a new HP laptop from Walmart.
    carlyincanada and Cathy_D like this.
    Christa

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Both my laptops are HP and I'm really happy with them. I would go for it.
    pippinelkhound and Cathy_D like this.

My Tangerine Key is:39626323S1

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I did exactly what Cathy_D did,and aside from the frustrations of learning windows 8,am perfectly happy with mine.Regular price according to the tag is $399, so for $170(plus I got 20x points) I figured I couldn't go wrong
    Last edited by secheltsaver; Tue, Jan 15th, 2013 at 03:03 AM.
    Cathy_D likes this.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

Hey!!

I own an HP netbook. It is so slow and unusable. Yes the price is great, but, the quality of the netbook is terrible. It doesn't have a CD drive, it runs super slow, it doesn't have a lot of memory etc.

I think its worth it, if you can obviously, look into laptops. They go as low as 399.99.

Hope this advice helps!! xo
    anastasia1009 and kk008 like this.
    Must have a U.S. itunes account to choose a free product on Poshmark: New Accounts Only:
    1) Download the app called Poshmark 2) While creating a new account, enter the invite code: JAAZH (it will be the last box to fill) 3) $10 in credit will added to your account (Shipping is $0.99 during your first day on the app!) Pick a product that is $9.00 or less and your total will be:$0.00

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    240 (100%)

Thanks again for the posts.
    Haven't bought one because everywhere it is sold out, which I guess is a good thing.
    Guess I was just gung ho because of the possibilityof getting it cheap but then as the above poster posted, some negatives about it.
    Will wait and get one of many family techies to help choose one for me at a screaming deal....lol
    .....in the meantime will have to work with my tablets.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kk008 View Post
    Thanks again for the posts.Haven't bought one because everywhere it is sold out, which I guess is a good thing.Guess I was just gung ho because of the possibilityof getting it cheap but then as the above poster posted, some negatives about it.Will wait and get one of many family techies to help choose one for me at a screaming deal....lol.....in the meantime will have to work with my tablets.
    Hers is a netbook and you're looking at a notebook. There could be a million reasons why hers is slow.

My Tangerine Key is:39626323S1

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

the notebook/laptop is still working great! and it has a CD drive ..... I have added a download for video meetings and did one today - worked fabulous. And even with that on the hard drive it hasn't slowed it down for start-up or running other apps at the same time. Surprising amount of jam for the specs.
    tobiwobi likes this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/shoppersdrug...50402096781191

Checkout this lady's experience ( above ) trying to return a sealed/ unopened XBOX with receipt 5 days after she boughtit !

The last line is so vague and ambiguous . In what instances ? They don't specify ! So on one hand they are saying you can return unopened electronics but when you go to return it , they can point to the last line and say , " Well in this instance , you can't " ..make up your mind SDM , either you can or you can't !

If its opened forget it ! Even its defective ,physically broken or whatever they won't care , you will have to deal with the manufacturer !

It's because if they put 'if you open it and it's broken, you will have to deal directly with the manufacturer' (which is basically their policy) then it would not look attractive to the customers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information