User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree679Likes

Thread: Is Couponing Killing Us?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I coupon at my mechanic. He gives coupons. Good guy. The old car needs maintenance and I am very, very happy to pay less. Yay!
    I caught DH printing a coupon for the mechanic last week. Was I ever excited
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

very good discussion i have couponed for years-sure its not right to judge people(we dont know their situations) but when my kids were little we did have k-dinner -pop-tarts etc hubby was laid off or out of work -so you make do the best you can -i am still couponing years later only my stockpile doesnt consist of pkg foods -no kids at home anymore -but i tell you my mom has been in hospital for a week now and that frozen pizza from the freezer that was 1.99 was good the other night when i was late coming in-stressed-last night imade a lovely bbq for hubby really healthy-but if you dont have cpns -i still am going out today to p.m fruit and veggies to other stores-that saves a bit and their are some really wonderfull cpns out here lately 2.00 off chicken from prime-buy 2 loaves of bread save 2.00 of fruit or veggies-you just have to make wise choices-nad toronto gal your right the chinese and fruit stands in toronto are cheap -my daughter lives there and i am amazed by the prices-so i bring a bag home when we visit -oh and the nuts are cheap too in the corner fruit stores
    Last edited by coupon girl; Fri, Jan 25th, 2013 at 08:06 AM.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Very interesting thread and I enjoyed reading all the posts. Everyone is different and they do what suits their household but it has made me rethink on somethings.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great post, I'm loving what everyone has to say! I don't think I have been drawn into the 'buy it because I have a coupon'. I do buy the Lean Cuisine, Steamers, etc to have in the freezer. With teens in the house the frozen meals come in handy when they want something late at night after hockey. That being said, I eat really healthy and my kids do to. Do I buy snacks for their lunch... yes; do they get chips... yes, one weekend night only though. They get snacks but there are restrictions. My one rule for lunch... if you don't eat your fruit or veggie at lunch then no 'junk' snack the next day; its double fruit & veggie the next day... they hate that!!!
    Want Free Gift Cards? Join me at SWAGBUCKS!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/bekki3

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I also had a stockpile full of chemical laden products! No more!! I found a great company that specializes in all natural safer products that are actually more effective and cheaper than the big store brands. I get to order from my own home and they are delivered right to my door. You can't beat that. I feel so much better and so does my family. My son was suffering from a chronic cough, runny nose and skin rashes which are all gone! Those big companies should be ashamed of themselves for selling those toxic products to unsuspecting consumers and for filling these products with dangerous fillers and water!
    Lynn49, macw1960 and tccl21 like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Great post! I have been watching many documentaries and reading articles about the food industry. It's quite frightening!

However, as many pointed out, couponing does help out enormously, and you CAN save money on healthy things. Just because I cook at home and make things from scratch doesn't mean that I'll be making my own cheese and yogurt (although I know some people will). Therefore, most of the coupons that I have go towards those products. I do wish that there were more coupons for fresh meat, fruits and vegetables, but at least we can get what we get for dairy.

My philosopy is that if I never bought the product, I don't need to buy it simply because it's on sale or because I have a coupon. People always do say that eating healthier is more expensive, and while I agree with that, I think that we can still make the right choices and be able to save money. As for laundry detergents and other cleaning products? There's no way that I will be able to comit myself to making my own stuff. Perhaps in the future when I have a child of my own will I really take that into consideration, but for now I simply don't have the time or effort to do so...and I really respect the people who make their own.

It's also very important to remember our lovely furry familiy members! Companies provide so many coupons for their form of junk food that it's frightening. That being said, I'm taking care of my cat and getting rid of any Whiskas/Purina/Iams products that she has and putting her on a grain-free diet.
    macw1960 and tccl21 like this.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Iams wet dog food is often free at PetSmart with the $0.50 P&G coupon. Well, I got a bunch of it one time and it gives my dog diarrhea every single time. No matter the flavour. I tried at different times and it always makes him ill. I've learned my lesson with that one too! P&G is not very welcome in my house.
    macw1960 and anastasia1009 like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Scott's Turf Builder clearance at Walmart - $4. Scott's had a coupon for $4. I paid tax.
    If we had to sell, the curb appeal with our lawn would help.
    In the middle of July, with all the heat, our neighbour's lawns were brown. Our Scott's lawn was green and lush.
    (I feel like I am doing a commercial.)

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

No doubt there are lots of great coupons out there. I'm just saying there are a lot more that are for products that I don't want for my family any more. I still love my coupons, but I'll be ordering far less now (and saving lots of paper too!).

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I agree, my first year couponing I bought everything & anything when I got a good deal on it from coupons, my stockpile was huge - my family loved coming to dig through it. My second year i took a step back and looked at things that were sitting there for months & months collecting dust... Why did I have 5 bottle of hair gel when I dont use hair gel? Last year I used 1/2 many coupons, and focused more on buying things we actually use
    Wanna make some spare cash? Check out Clixsense: http://www.clixsense.com/?5382267

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 03:57 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I never buy a pile of something I have never used before...I might have to wait 3 months for the same kind of sale, but I think it is better to be cautious. Try one, then decide if you are going to chase after more, and do your research on what stores carry the product and have the best coupon policies.

It costs real money to buy shelves to stock an excess of product. Freezer space is extremely valuable and is best left for meat. Most things are at best nearly free, or pay the tax, so large quantities do cost money. It's about controlling your consumer urges. All of us for instance can afford a buying spree at Dollarama, so why don't we do it? QUALITY and UTILITY and SPACE. Plus, why have things lingering around for years when you can just go to the Dollarama again? (And it would be fresh stock, too.)

I have hundreds of dollars of food in the kitchen. We all probably do: you need to have enough things to combine into a meal, you just can't get away from it. However, the things you have have to be useful.

Every week I make a list of everything we need for the meals we are going to make. Then I write down another list of everything that is on special that matches to a coupon. These two lists always have very little in common. I have to guide myself based on the fact that the priority is 3 square meals and, NOT enough snack and convenience food to entirely replace them.

With food you have to be extra careful because quality does go downhill with age...even a can of instant soup, given enough time, will turn into an, um, interesting jelly. Now you money will never turn into jelly on its own. And you can use money for everything. Money is worth collecting. You don't have to spend every last penny in the name of saving. Food is not an investment vehicle!!!
    EXCELLENT post! I couldn't agree more! Like you, we make our grocery list, match any coupons we have, toss the rest and stick to our plan. We stockpile very few things, like soups, veggies, but again, only a half-dozen or so. Sales are always out there and I'm not using gas and driving around chasing down deals. Even in retirement I have better things to do. I don't even want to pay tax on free stuff...it usually means it's not very good for us, anyway.
    The money in our bank account won't ever turn to gel, I don't have to store it, someone else does, and it actually makes more money for me!

Oh. And we're not "judging" everyone who has a 6-pak of pop or a bag of chips or KD in their carts. We're talking about those whose carts are FILLED with that crap. And they look like they could use some fresh produce themselves. And we're also not condemning them. At least I'm not....I feel very sorry for them, particularly if they're young...it's a rotten way to go through the rest of their lives.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Fri, Jan 25th, 2013 at 03:05 PM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tccl21 View Post
    Iams wet dog food is often free at PetSmart with the $0.50 P&G coupon. Well, I got a bunch of it one time and it gives my dog diarrhea every single time. No matter the flavour. I tried at different times and it always makes him ill. I've learned my lesson with that one too! P&G is not very welcome in my house.
    makes my cat have the severe poo's and even caused one cat to develop ulcers in her tummy. I still use Friskies/Whiskas for two cats and organic for two cats. Takes a while to move them all to organic.
    macw1960 and tccl21 like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mcandlish View Post
    I agree, my first year couponing I bought everything & anything when I got a good deal on it from coupons, my stockpile was huge - my family loved coming to dig through it. My second year i took a step back and looked at things that were sitting there for months & months collecting dust... Why did I have 5 bottle of hair gel when I dont use hair gel? Last year I used 1/2 many coupons, and focused more on buying things we actually use
    Sounds like my family. Couponed for everything and anything. Now I only coupon for things I love and that our bodies like too. We don't eat any frozen meals or even boxed pasta. We eat everything fresh (except frozen meat that I buy when on sale or good deal) with fresh veggies or veggies that I par-cooked and frozen. We don't drink pop only juice and water. I use to run to stores cause people saw deals - not anymore cause things always go on sale and we are a family of 6 so I can wait a few weeks. I always stock up on tp, cleaning products/laundry, litter and beauty products but only certain companies due to allergies. If I can't understand the label with weird ingredients I won't buy them.

Plus I used some of coupons to buy boxed things and hubby broke out in hives and my eczema flared up due to the additive that they had. Now I switched back to healthy food and it all cleared up so I know there is a connection to it. And I use to buy meat and veggies with pink stickers not anymore because we came down with digestive problems and got food poisoning twice. And we don't do stock piles here due to the taste of certain things in cans and boxes that just doesn't taste right even it the expiry date says its ok and little bugs seem to form.
    Now I buy want I need and want for the family and we have saved over $500 this year so far. I love all the comments here and I love the orignal post because my hubby and I were talking about couponing when he saw some thing go down a few times in Walmart.
    Last edited by anastasia1009; Fri, Jan 25th, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
    Natalka, Lynn49, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    174 (100%)

very interesting post. I can't help myself...unless you buy plain yogurt..it is not healthy for you. It has waaay too much sugar. Today I did my weekly groceries. I bought produce, bread (coupon), toothpaste (coupon) and, batteries (coupon). In total 4 coupons maybe. I would say on a regular basis that is all I use. My moto-if it comes in a box...don't eat it!! It is not good for. It drives me crazy that people think that special k-crisps, crackers, bars...blah blah is a healthy snack...it isn't!!! It is one big box of sugar! I guess good marketing by kelloggs though. Even dh told me yesturday, that the nature valley granola bar that he had a ton of calories and sugar. (he thought cause it was a granola bar it was healthy). Ok, sorry to rant...there are many coupons that are great and I think it takes awhile to figure out what works for you. great post op.
    Lynn49, macw1960, lecale and 3 others like this.
    LF: kashi from websaver and 50 cents any cereal printout
    FT: Mann's veg and more! Check out my tradelist/wishlist

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information