User Tag List

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree1584Likes

Thread: Frugal February Chatter

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:26 PM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 12:20 PM.
    macw1960 and jasperandchar like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

oh my gosh Lecale! That's too funny. I have a Breadman machine and it is so loud. It sounds like someone is breaking into the house. I couldn't imagine running it before everyone was out of bed.
    macw1960, lecale and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    When turkeys were on sale this fall, sales were scarce and the stores seemed to only have bigger birds (rather than the 10-12 birds that suit 2 people). dh pulled a 15.5 lb turkey from the freezer and is making stuffing, so I can assure you I will be eating turkey something for the rest of the month.

We had an 18 lb turkey at Christmas and that took us 3 weeks to demolish. turkey, potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, all this stuff under $.99/lb. The best leftovers recipes last time were (1) turkey rutabaga barley soup made with stock (2) turkey a la king, white meat, green pepper, fresh mushrooms, peas, cream of soup (3) turkey vindaloo, a curry made with two shredded red onions browned in oil seasoned with cloves, mustard, cumin, malt vinegar, chili, curry leaves. I ate this in a wrap. dh of course would not touch it and was happy not to be responsible for polishing off the last of the bird. Anyway it's been exactly a month since we got rid of the turkey, here we go again.
    When I buy a turkey for the three of us, DH, DD (2) and I, once I cook it and we have that meal, I then make turkey soup. Any left over meat gets frozen to eat later on. Otherwise, we would be in the same boat, turkey for breakfast, lunch and dinner until it was gone!

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

I would loooove to learn to make bread too. Not the loaves, we only go through 1/2 a loaf a week as is it, but would love to make buns to go with dinners!

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I have a question on s frugal subject.

Does WM has a 2 week return policy on anything and everyting in the store. For example if I purchased Advil Nightime today and they are on sale starting Friday, will they reimburse me the difference?
    I just called my local WM and was told that it depends on the product but generally speaking the answer is Yes, you have 14 days from the date of purchase.
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher1962 View Post
    I just called my local WM and was told that it depends on the product but generally speaking the answer is Yes, you have 14 days from the date of purchase.
    macw1960 likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    thanks
    You're welcome
    I had wondered the same thing awhile ago but never thought to ask until you brought it up
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

DH is doing the banking after work tomorrow sigh....still on track so far (knock on wood), hopefully next month will be a breeze after already having completed "Frugal February", I think we need to create a virtual "Frugal February Diploma" lol - see below I know I'm 15 days ahead but post what your diploma will look like.

I will be sending him to FB on Friday after work to get
    cheap sugar 2kg for $1.77 - limit of 4
    Navel oranges .88 lbs
    Lactantia Milk $3.88 - $1.00 tare pad = $2.88 WOWZERS

Frugal February diploma.pdf
    macw1960 and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Love the diploma!!!! It is very official!

Just checking in- been doing really well. Haven't spent anything since Friday night (groceries) except the one taxi cab ride that I knew I would need. Everything is going great. But this not shopping for Lent is getting difficult. Even though Lent just started (today)- I have been doing this since the first of Feb and there are some really great sales out there!
    Last edited by matty's mom; Wed, Feb 13th, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    No, you definitely don't need to have a fancy bread machine! I got mine years ago for free on kijiji. Its sticker on the back says it was made in 1996. It still works fabulously! I don't use it often because a loaf of bread will go bad/mouldy in 24-48 hours. I need to get a proper slicer/cutter thingie to make regular sized slices and not big gigantic chunks.
    Why don't you slice it and freeze it? Then just take out slices from the freezer as you need them....

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I find that each week I need to be more & more creative with respect to grocery purchases.

matty's mom

I know what you mean about the challenges of shopping and lent having just started I've been thinking the same thing, however, I plan to do most of my Easter shopping next month even though I plan to keep doing the FRUGAL challenges probably until May (eek). Having said that I has a miscellaneous weekly fund that sometimes does not get all used and sometimes it does and that is what I will be using to purchasing my Easter Goodies.

I think as long as you stay in your forecasted budget you are still on track.

Thoughts & concerns are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    Love the diploma!!!! It is very official!

Just checking in- been doing really well. Haven't spent anything since Friday night (groceries) except the one taxi cab ride that I knew I would need. Everything is going great. But this not shopping for Lent is getting difficult. Even though Lent just started (today)- I have been doing this since the first of Feb and there are some really great sales out there!
    matty's mom and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I purchase fresh loaves of bread from WM at $1.00 & I cut then in halves and freeze them in Ziploc bags for the week, I take out 1 pre- packaged 1/2 loaf that we eat we dinner each night.

I freezes really well and thaws very quickly.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Well Happy Valentines Day all!
    Ended up going to the Bulk Barn with the older kiddies last night while littlest was at therapy.
    They had $2 each from my grandma to spend and it was a good lesson for them to weigh(literally) their options and look at prices.
    I spent $13.70 on chocolate wafers, sprinkles and the like. Not the cheapest date but I have dropped $30-$40 in there sometimes so I was watching my purse believe it or not!
    I made pink/red popcorn and the kids picked little red foil wrapped hearts to give our with their valentines today. It ended up costing me $3 each per class(popcorn and the chocolate hearts) which I think is not bad considering it could have been much worse.
    We are doing pizza for supper tonight (which we already have) and Dh is buying me a heart shaped pizza for $11.99 from Toppers...its a yearly tradition (we don't do gifts, just cards) so I am looking forward to that

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Hi All,
    Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours. And whatever you do today may it be filled with lots of Love.

That's so funny. We are doing pizza tonight too for our Valentine's dinner.
    I figure it's cheap and fun to do.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information