User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Dentist rant

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

cath, we've talked on here before about me being very similar to you as in being scared to go to the dentist, therefore delaying the problems even more... so I totally understand your feelings!

As for the prices, for that total amount for that much work - frankly, it seems like a decent price. It's too hard to compare prices, because fillings are all different costs, because it depends upon the amount of work that needs doing and the amount of filling which needs to be used - how many surfaces. Even extractions cost different prices, again depends upon the amount of time/effort it takes to get each out.

Don't be shy to tell your dentist about your financial situation - and here, at my dental office, his nurse knows too - and, more importantly, the main woman who books the appointments (she's an amazing fount of information, and knows how scared I am too, so she's very comforting and knows how hard it is for me to come in, so spaces my appointments accordingly).

I had been putting off going, then finally last year in the summer, too many teeth hurt and once I realized I was popping painkillers all day, every day - I knew I just had to get things turned around.

After exam and x-rays, I got The Big List, and it was horrifying to see it - I think there were 11 or 13, and some of those were for extractions.
    I had the dentist go through them, and order them from most important to least, so I knew what I was facing - and there were a few cases in which he had a tooth indicated as a lower priority, but it was one that was hurting me, so I made sure that was done earlier.

You know what was the biggest surprize to me? Once I started going, it became easier with each appointment - I had some one week apart, two weeks apart... I panicked less, my anxiety went down - and it's surely not gone, but it's WAY better than it used to be. I still sweat right through the back of my clothes, etc. - but the dental nurse is An Angel - she has a cool cloth for me, talks to me, etc.

I wish you luck with continuing on this journey - it can be tough, but it doesn't get easier to wait in terms of your dental health.

Hopefully looking into some of the suggestions people have made as to dealing with $$$ will help you out.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

He did not offer me some coupons and I forgot to ask...but in this cosy design office I have the feeling they dont know the word coupon...does the dentist are obligatory to offer some and order some?I can see many people patient benefit from that. And reduce futures cost...
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I hate going to the dentist also but my strategy has been that if I stay on top of things it doesn`t get as bad. I used to get them cleaned every 4 months because a medication I was on caused problems. My neice introduced me to Crest ProHealth a few years ago and I haven`t had a cavity since.

I also had a chat with my dentist about finances since we don`t have insurance and are on a fixed income. He agreed that if I come in every 6 months they will keep costs to a minimum...do dental check ($40) once a year etc.
    Last edited by Crochetlady; Tue, Feb 5th, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
    Natalka, Angela273 and cath007 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

$1500 is relatively inexpensive for 11 cavities. That figures out to about $136 ish for each cavity. That is the average dentists charge for services. The reason you think it's so much is because you have to pay for it. Medical health care isn't any cheaper but we don't ever know that because the provincial government pays for the majority of those visits.

Work out a schedule that works for you and your dentist and arrange to have a payment schedule as well. If you are still not satisfied then maybe look around for another opinion.

I understand you are upset and nervous but I don't think that Dentist is out of line charging that amount for 11 procedures. In fact I would not be surprised if you are quoted a higher amount from another dentist. Also the other dentist will have to do x-rays as well so factor that into your costs.

I absolutely despise going to the dentist but having ailing teeth can lead to all sorts of other medical issues.
    Natalka and Crochetlady like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    He did not offer me some coupons and I forgot to ask...but in this cosy design office I have the feeling they dont know the word coupon...does the dentist are obligatory to offer some and order some?I can see many people patient benefit from that. And reduce futures cost...
    My dentist's office doesn't have coupons either, I asked. I did ask for 'something', for gosh' sake - told them when I was a kid there was a 'treasure drawer' we could choose out of - I loved to pick out a pretty ring!
    Once in a while I get a mini toothpaste or floss.
    Crochetlady, Angela273 and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I usually get a toothbrush which I don`t use. I`ve been using the OralB ProHealth toothbrush because I have gagging isues when I use a manual toothbrush.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Cath007...I would get a second opinion...and watch this episode of Market Place:
    http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episod...-mouth-is.html

its all about how some dentists overcharge and say you need things done, even when there is nothing wrong.

I would definately be seeing another Dentist to see if their recommendations are the same.
    Last edited by Sunshyne1; Wed, Feb 6th, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
    Natalka, Angela273 and Tbites like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    Cath007...I would get a second opinion...and watch this episode of Market Place:
    http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episod...-mouth-is.html

its all about how dentists overcharge and say you need things done, even when there is nothing wrong.

I would definately be seeing another Dentist to see if their recommendations are the same.
    I will definettely watch this tonight .Thanks you for the link.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

usually dentists are not out to scam ppl.

if you would like to, you can ask your dentist for copies of your xrays. it is a common request, and they shouldn't mind.

if there is a dental school nearby you can ask one of the teachers there for advice.

dentists who are still students are not very experienced. even when they start working in a dental office, they are still doing a lot of hands on learning. if you need a lot of teeth fixed, then likely a few of them are side by side, and you want someone who is skilled and experienced who will have some more finesse with the finishing touches.

you can do as many teeth as you want in each appointment, it should not change the overall price.
    sometimes dentists will give you a break on the price. the nice ones do. maybe 10-20%? it really depends on the dentist.

be straightforward with the dentist and just say you can only afford a certain amount of money every month. they understand that students have a tough time with expenses. if it is a nice dentist, they will help you work out a schedule that is best for you and your teeth.

the last thing you want is to delay the time too much, because it will cost you a lot more.

best of luck,
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    usually dentists are not out to scam ppl.

True, but theres no harm in getting a second opinion.

if you watch the video it happens more often than people think.

Cath007..did you say that the last time you went to the dentist was 3 years ago???

Smart Canuck couponclippercaitie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    171 (100%)

It is crazy, I hope everything works out for you

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    True, but theres no harm in getting a second opinion.

if you watch the video it happens more often than people think.

Cath007..did you say that the last time you went to the dentist was 3 years ago???

Because of some circonstances....yes unfortunattly 3 years ago and for the video link you put in here. I was shocked

But you know what I like about this site and you guys the members...well we all experiances some similar things in our life,and life is not just about cooupons,so it is good to see opinion and experiances,links given and informations you dont know at 100% by others
    anisa and Natalka like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Good news for my dental visit. I have no cavities and no wisdom teeth to be found. I just turned 28 yesterday and threw up countless times during my pregnancy, so I wasn't really sure if my teeth was what was causing my jaw pain. Saw the optometrist this morning and my mild prescription has not changed since the last time I saw him. Looking to possibly get new glasses next month. Dentist, optometrist, and gp all do not know what is causing the jaw pain. :/
    cath007 likes this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Hope they will find the causes of your pain Angela
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    104 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Good news for my dental visit. I have no cavities and no wisdom teeth to be found. I just turned 28 yesterday and threw up countless times during my pregnancy, so I wasn't really sure if my teeth was what was causing my jaw pain. Saw the optometrist this morning and my mild prescription has not changed since the last time I saw him. Looking to possibly get new glasses next month. Dentist, optometrist, and gp all do not know what is causing the jaw pain. :/
    Did they have a look at your sinuses?

My dad was having jaw pain, went to the dentist, they found nothing, so finally asked my uncle (a GP) who suggested it might be because of his sinus problems.. it was. His own GP is a moron and had seen him countless times about it before...

I also used to clench my teeth while I slept when I was stressed, which caused jaw pain. I didn't know I was doing it, because I wasn't grinding my teeth they didn't catch it as dental. I suppose there's tons of possibilities and they've probably checked all that, but I thought I would mention it just in case
    Natalka and Angela273 like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information