• 2 Post By olivercat
  • 2 Post By torontogal12
  • 4 Post By olivercat
  • 3 Post By smileyKT
  • 1 Post By macw1960

Thread: Letter Scam

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Today I got a letter from 'Mystery shoppers' saying I had been chosen to be a new mystery shopper in my area. It asked me to shop at a couple of stores and provide feedback AND also send off two Western Union wire transfers to two different people and record the cashiers responses. It included a cheque for $3900+ --and the cheque looked real--and even better ---the companys name on the cheque is Ash City, with their correct address and everything!
    Because my business deals with Ash City, I called a rep. with this obvious scam info--and they are incredibly concerned--because the cheque looked perfect! (faxed them a copy)
    BUT, here is what got me so peeved off: I called the local OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) about the scam and they said call a different number that deals with scams--so I did--and they said call the OPP ---did I miss something here? They are always saying they need the publics' help to stop these crimes that scam innocent people out of their hard earned dollars --but in this case they did not care--I bet if someone important got one of these letters and called them it would be on the local news!
    Anyway, (finished ranting), I am posting this so that you can share this with anybody you think may recieve this letter--so that they can toss it in the waste bin--and not get scammed!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I think the place to call is Phonebusters. That is awful!!!
    macw1960 and oscarandme like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i think rcmp deals with fraud

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I checked --they will only touch fraud if the amount is over $30,000. They suggest your local police --for me OPP!
    Talk about running in circles!

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    i think rcmp deals with fraud

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post

Tried them too!-- Tried, first online, and hit a brick wall in answering some of the long list of questions. Then I called them--and this is the answer: since their was no loss of funds ($$) on my part, I am not a victim of fraud. I pointed out that I did not attempt to cash the cheque, but could have... that is attempted fraud...but because it was not sucessful and did not involve enough dollars----oh, well,,,, because I notified the company who is named on the cheque--they can report (as a business) the forgery!
    So that is why I am suggesting that you pass this info around to family and friends--because by the time it makes the news many people will have fallen for and lost money,,,,sad.

Trading Score
    91 (100%)

Wow, thanks for letting us know.

Too bad reporting this scam seems to be turning out so frustrating!

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Nothing like passing the buck around!!! So nice to know we are well protected. LOL
    oscarandme likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

We must get atleast 45 emails a day of crap. You block them, block their domain and they still come back. We do not know what to do. DHsays it's all that couponing you do. I can't dany it because am unaware that relaying all my information in mailing lists and stuff - his aregument is not valid.
    olivercat!

Now they are progressing to letters. Great. Aniother issue I had called about is that we live across from an elementary school and there is a path that also cuts through the park near the school and while gardening I often see some people that kind of linger and wondered as a concerned citizen if there is a pedaphile list we can check in Canada to be aware in our neighbourhoods. I called the police and they made me file like why do you want this, my concern for the children was not enough. They said they prefer not to give access to the public was the jist of it. We do not give access then they know. Hugh??? Why can't we have access like the states? If I were in charge of a school, Iwould make certain that my teachers and ground caretake would have access or be aware of possible threats. Anyways, all I can do is when I hear a child scream - and i do not see them, only hope it is just children playing because there is no way to find out if there are any in our neighbourhoods and I don't even have children. The Ottawa Police was totally useless for that instance.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry you had to go through that.

Thread Information