User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: So who else doesn't own a dishwasher?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have one but it needs a valve replaced or some quick fix that my husband hasn't gotten around to doing in over a year. I actually don't mind doing dishes by hand...normally, I wash and my husband dries. Don't ask why our three able-bodied teenagers don't lift a finger to help.
    thriftygranny likes this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    I have one but it needs a valve replaced or some quick fix that my husband hasn't gotten around to doing in over a year. I actually don't mind doing dishes by hand...normally, I wash and my husband dries. Don't ask why our three able-bodied teenagers don't lift a finger to help.
    Telling them no food for a day if they don't help works wonders lol

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    When we renovated our kitchen (believe me, it was a need, not a want) to create space, we allowed space and wiring for a dishwasher (for resale value) but asked that a removable cupboard be inserted instead. My boys have always dried the dishes and hubby washes....they have great conversations during dishes duty. I can think back to when my eldest was just a lad of 5 or so, drying dishes, and turning to his Dad to ask, "Daddy, do people get babies like dogs get puppies?" And so arose an opportunity for another father to son talk Boys are older now but conversation still happens by the kitchen sink and conversation can be rare now a days so we'll keep the dishwasher out of the house.
    What a wonderful story! Reminds me of when I was growing up, and my sister and I would do dishes together; we always had lots of fun!
    Same with when my son was young; as soon as he could stand on a stool, he'd help me wash/dry dishes.
    Sometimes he wanted to do them 'self' - so he got all the plastics to wash, and all the bubbles he wanted!

We do now have a dishwasher, it's a portable full-size, not a built-in. It hurts my hands/arms way too much to wash dishes - and honestly, I miss it. I found doing dishes to be a nice time, very contemplative, kinda of comforting...

Husband does whatever can't go in the dishwasher, bless his heart!
    Last edited by Natalka; Thu, Feb 7th, 2013 at 12:49 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Yes, his name is David (hubby). Seriously, it's the first thing on my wish list for when we eventually renovate the kitchen. We don't have one now and I resent the time it takes to wash dishes, although to be fair, hubby has taken over that duty since he retired on weeknights. I do most of my weekly cooking on the weekend and I swear it takes as much time washing the dishes as cooking the food. It would be so nice to just put it away in a dishwasher and be done with it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Delete - double post. Sorry!
    Last edited by blueeyetea; Thu, Feb 7th, 2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: double post

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

This is probably the silliest thing you've ever heard, but we do, and pretend we don't. When we first moved in, I cleaned everything. I made the appliances sparkle. Then I got to the dishwasher. I opened it once, and promptly shut it. It was the most horrible yellow inside. That day I vowed when we redid our kitchen, I'd have it taken out for more cupboard space or replace it if we were within five years of selling.

Funny, I can stand many messes, but the grimy insides of a dishwasher was too much for me.

My sister and her DH are similar. She figures if she's going to take the effort to pre-rinse or wash larger pots and pans, she may as well wash it herself.
    walkonby and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

We don't have a dishwasher and because of that I cook and bake less. Our kitchen is incredibly tiny so its a major pain to have to stop 1-4 times in between making a meal just to do dishes in order to create space. That and also our kittys get fed wet food twice a day so thats 6 bowls/dishes right there. It does pile up. Normally I don't mind doing the dishes but in our new place we will have a portable dishwasher and I am looking forward to it (but not the hydro bill - will be running it at night).

The funny thing is that growing up we had dishwashers and my sister and I never loaded it and refused to hand wash either but when I went to my grandmothers I ALWAYS helped with dishes. Sure, I dreaded it but I just complied. I'm not sure what it is - maybe because my granny was nicer to me then my mom or maybe the cinnamon rolls and homemade bread made it a little bit more worth it but I always helped with the dishes at Grandmas and I still do when I go there now. Its something one must prepare themselves for when visiting Granny is that she will make you help her with the dishes *giggle*
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

We dont have one.... BIL offered to get us one really cheap when he worked at home depot... but I declined, only because we would have lost precious stockpile space LOL
    Anna Michele likes this.
    Get paid for your opinion! http://legerweb.com/J4Z12
    Join Swagbucks and earn free money and giftcards!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melissabrien

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

We have a dish washer and would never go without it, our house did not have one when we moved in we quickly changed this. We love out dishwasher, there are currently two of us living in the house and only turn it on maybe once a week as we do, do some dishes by hands. But let me tell you my mom does cake decorating and wow does it get all the greasy icing off.
    Crochetlady and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Had one, it broke, and we got a newer top of the line Bosch. LOVE IT and use it about 3-4 times a week. And I don't care about hydro and added costs. There I said it!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaK View Post
    Had one, it broke, and we got a newer top of the line Bosch. LOVE IT and use it about 3-4 times a week. And I don't care about hydro and added costs. There I said it!
    There are 2 things I don`t want to be without...my dishwasher and dryer. I will compromise on when I use them to save on hydro but DON`T ask me to give them up. lol
    GeorgiaK and Anna Michele like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

An old dishwasher came with our house when we bought it 8yrs ago. We got rid of it right away and never replaced it, we don't intend to buy one either.
    i_forget and Anna Michele like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

We don't have one.. our last house had one and TBH it makes life much easier. It only takes me 10-15 mins to do dishes but I hate doing them.
    Crochetlady likes this.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Yes we have one here, a portable one, but it doesn't get used that often (maybe twice a week at the most). It's a bit noisy so I usually avoid putting it on at night, and I won't put it on during the day except weekends and holidays because we're on "time of use hydro". And I have no issue washing plates and bowls...what I hate washing are the pots and pans, and those usually don't fit into the dishwasher well lol

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have one, its name is me

Even though I would love to not wash dishes, I do not see the point in having one....I had a dishwasher growing up too.

you have to load it, run it, unload it. There is rinsing and then the cost of running it, maintaining it and buying it.

i already do the loading and unloading of the dish tray, I already rinse my dishes, so I do not see how filling up the sink and taking 5-10minutes to wash up since I am already half done is worth the extra money I am spending to deal with the appliance.

i don't care if I have a sink full of dishes.
    if I entertained a lot, that would be a different story, because thinking back on Christmas, entertaining is a lot of work, but for day to day living, it is just one more think I can live without.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information