User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Shoppers Drug Mart/Optimum

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi all,

I dont understand why everyone is so crazy about Shoppers Drug Mart? Their prices are rediculously overpriced! I get my eggs and milk there, and the odd toilet paper that goes on sale, however they even increase the price when you buy items in bulk. They have promos where you spend $50 or $75, which is great if you buy a ton of sale items that you need, but that's not really a good promo if the "sale" items increase in price the more you buy? Is there anyway around that??

Thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    Last edited by Chado; Wed, Feb 6th, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
    Beautiful custom wedding and celebration cakes, professionally designed!

http://www.chickbosscake.com

Proudly serving Southwestern Ontario!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have no problem spending $50 to $75 on sale items to meet the promotions. Anything I buy on sale is significantly cheaper than what I would pay at the grocery store. You really need to know your prices to make good comparisons. Also, if something I know I will need in the future is on sale, like toilet paper or paper towel, I will buy several of them and store them until needed (sure theres a max usually of 4, but that will last me a long time). This combined with the points you get back on 20x the points days make shopping here really worthwhile.

I don't really know of any sale items that increase in price the more you buy, unless you're talking about going over the max of 4. There are items that decrease in price when you buy more...

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I got a free XBOX360 this year by redeeming my points. Yes, it's overpriced. However, sometimes SDM has amazing deals on eggs, milk, PB, toilet paper and other stuff. If you match those deals with coupons and buy those items during a 20X points event, then you'll rack up Optimum points very fast! Plus, on top of those points, you can earn bonus points by purchasing certain items.

I don't agree with buying things that you don't need to get points, but if it's things you purchase anyway, you may as well buy them at SDM and get money back
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I got over 1000.00 in free stuff at Christmas. There prices are high but if you use coupons such as Manufacturer coupons, and there in store coupons to bring the price down you can get a ton of points for little money. It is worth it if you know how to do it.
    carlyincanada and Venuila like this.

Trading Score
    185 (100%)

Last year I got over $2000 in free stuff from the optimum program. And I redeemed $370 since january 2013 I LOVE OPTIMUM

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Also sometimes they have great mark downs that you can use a coupon with and pay next to nothing, It takes a while to figure out the point system but if you read the threads prior to the spend $50 or $75 get 20x you will see what others plan to buy, lots of times there are bonus points on items as well so thats an added bonus. Hope this helps I learned a lot by constantly reading the threads.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Don't buy things full price. Shoppers sale prices are the same or better than other stores. Walmart or Loblaws won't give you points, so if something is the same price, buy it at SDM instead.

I am like you. I find it very difficult to spend $50 minimums at shoppers because I won't filler stuff at their inflated full price. Some people on this board have big families or buy a lot of food/diapers/baby formula. If you don't have kids, it is very hard to get the $50 minimum, but every once in a while there is a good flyer that has enough other stuff that you can get to $50, like toothbrushes/toothpaste/vitamins/soap, etc. It also takes planning. For example, if you skip grocery shopping a week and have zero food, go to SDM instead of Loblaws or whatever first. You can get a lot of stuff at SDM that you would buy anyway and they cost the same as the grocery store. Eggs, cheese, milk, hummus, fish, frozen dinners, cereal, baking supplies, pop. You'll find a time when you can make the minimum, but it won't be every week. You shouldn't compare yourself to the brags you see on here because everyone has different spending habits
    Last edited by torontogal12; Wed, Feb 6th, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
    uanoor, Silk, FallenPixels and 5 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    369 (100%)

I really don't find SDM that over priced but maybe it's just what I buy there. I hardly buy health and beauty products there anymore, it's more diapers/formula and items they have on sale that are usually one or two day only. I find their sale prices on PB, VH Sauces, Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Lean Cuisine, among others are the same or better than other stores. And when shopping on 20x/other promotion days and combining those with BP coupons the points really add up quickly. Especially when you can bring you OOP below $50 for 20x the points.
    carlyincanada and Valerey like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

If you have ever experienced redemption, you will want to do it again. My first was Mega in 2011 when I had 50 000 points. Little by little I learned how to save money and collect points. I started shopping only during promotions and I collected 95 000. But ever since I joined this forum, I have reached the highest level in no time. So, I am looking forward to my next reward.

Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I agree with torontogal, everyone's spending habits are different! For example, I'm in my mid-twenties, living with my boyfriend who's university. I can't compare myself to mothers who purchase diapers or enough for a household of 4-5. My purchases are mostly beauty, a few medications and food on rare occasions. I'll never get the massive amounts of points others get, but I still get some!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    -1 (0%)

I am lucky enough to get full Optimum Points on all of my Rx Meds.
    That alone earns me several thousand pointd every month!
    Even IF i didn't do any "other"shopping there I would stil have enough to Do at least 1 full 95 k and a 50k redemption
    By only shopping on Promo days/events and Couponing heavily.
    You can earn bonus points for next to nothing.

My last SDM Brag. $0.75 subtotal and under $10 w/taxes earned me almost $20 in banked SDM points.

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/339788-...-taxes-canada/

Mostly its luck that falls in my favour. I stalk the Clearance sections on a regular basis.
    Do my best to match up coupons, check SC from the Store before I go/When I get there to see if there is anything I should watch out for...
    We text each other our best finds and hope for the best.
    walkinglady and carlyincanada like this.

plc
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I've only been an Optimum member for about 3 years now and wished I had signed up much earlier. There are alot of things that SDM has the best price on and if you shop thier sales and only buy what you need it is worthwhile.
    carlyincanada likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Same case as me.Just turned 30,recently married. Us two in a tiny shoebox apartment. Not a lot to buy and not a lot of space to store it anyway! I buy same stuff as you
    Quote Originally Posted by MTLcouponer View Post
    I agree with torontogal, everyone's spending habits are different! For example, I'm in my mid-twenties, living with my boyfriend who's university. I can't compare myself to mothers who purchase diapers or enough for a household of 4-5. My purchases are mostly beauty, a few medications and food on rare occasions. I'll never get the massive amounts of points others get, but I still get some!
    carlyincanada and FrugalKris like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chado View Post
    Hi all,

I dont understand why everyone is so crazy about Shoppers Drug Mart? Their prices are rediculously overpriced! I get my eggs and milk there, and the odd toilet paper that goes on sale, however they even increase the price when you buy items in bulk. They have promos where you spend $50 or $75, which is great if you buy a ton of sale items that you need, but that's not really a good promo if the "sale" items increase in price the more you buy? Is there anyway around that??

Thanks
    We're just really careful what we buy there, only the sale items - and knowing the prices in your area is really important. I go through all the flyers Wednesday and Fridays when they come, and make my master shopping list for the next week, so I can compare sale prices right away.

The only thing I don't like, is that for about the past year here, haven't been able to do any of the $50 promotions because not one of the three locations which are nearby will have all of the items I want, so that's a big pain.

What we always buy there on sale - milk - 4.30/4l; cheese - Everyday Market cheddar is awesome, and goes on sale, plus when Saputo and Armstrong are on sale; eggs, 1.99; Royale TP; Life tissues (their 3ply are awesome!); Life paper towels; store brand basket coffee filters; sometimes they have Tylenol and Robax on sale, with coupons they are a good price, same with Lactaid.
    carlyincanada and coupon girl like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kbearry View Post
    I don't really know of any sale items that increase in price the more you buy, unless you're talking about going over the max of 4.
    This is exactly what I am talking about. If I go over the max like when eggs are $1.99, or butter is $2.99, the prices increase to an amount that I can get cheaper at another grocery store?? Let alone trying to spend $50 or $75 in one single trip. Does the min $50 or $75 have to be in one transaction only? Otherwise, as I mentioned before I am not fooled into spending more money just because of Optimum points. I can save more money by spending way less at another grocery store (Optimum points value vs cheaper prices over the long haul).

So unless you have a large family as people stated (which I dont), or you happen to make it to the $50 min purch with buying about 2-4 of several different items before the "sale" price spikes due to this "MAX purchase per item rule", then this promotion is a PASS!
    Last edited by Chado; Thu, Feb 7th, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
    Beautiful custom wedding and celebration cakes, professionally designed!

http://www.chickbosscake.com

Proudly serving Southwestern Ontario!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information