User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Sorry SDM, I discovered Sally's!

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

To be honest- I never considered shopping at a beauty supply store. I always made the assumption I would be spending way more than I should or that I would be doing something horribly wrong. Surprisingly though, many products are cheaper- better quality and they have a decent reward program. Maybe I've been living under a rock and everyone knows about Sally's, and this post is pointless. But for those of you who don't, I thought I would share! It is now my #1 for hair stuff and self-pampering.

Sally Beauty has a "Sally Club" The membership is $5, however you get a $5 coupon on your receipt to use towards your next purchase. With Sally's Club- every month you spend $35, the following month you will receive a coupon for 15% off your purchase. So, lets say you want to get some new hair dye, misc stuff on sale, and spend at least $35- you can use the 15% off coupon to buy that new flat iron or blow dryer you really want next month. If you renew your membership the month your card expires, you receive a free Ion or Silk Elements products. (Ion makes purple shampoo if you're a blonde)

The Savings - I would say some product pricing is comparable to SDM, but with higher quality products. To get my hair done professionally, because it's incredibly long- I have to pay around $200. As a teenager I had too many bad experiences with box dyes and refused to use them (hair actually falling out, really bad!) At Sally's I had to purchase a lightener ($30) , developer ($3) and toner ($8) . It seems like a lot, but the lightener will probably last be a year- the developer I will be able to use one or two more times for my roots (You can also buy larger bottles), and the toner or a dye I will have to re-purchase the next time I do my hair. SDM Bleaches are around $19.99 a box, you will need two or more if you have med length hair.

Buying Online- Online pricing is WAY cheaper in-store than online up to a 30%-50% difference, but some products are the same price. You really have to make yourself a list of products you're looking for and do some comparing. Sally's collects tax when you check out- so you pay NO duties/fees when your package arrives. Once you know what you want- you can start ordering online and saving even more. Their flat rate Canadian shipping is $12.95. I wanted a flat iron that was $49.99 online but $64.99 in store, so pretty much anything else I added to my cart after that I was saving more than if I was to buy in a Canadian store. I have also been eying a new blow dryer. $29.99 online- $49.99 in store. If you're buying something on sale from the flyer make sure you enter the coupon code during check out, it isn't automatic (kind of a downer..)

I would really recommend any hair treatments you're considering, go in store and talk to the girls there. I would also suggest paying a little extra and buying all hair processing products in store as you may make a decision online- but the girls working there may suggest something completely different. Once you find you're consistently using the same thing- then you can simply order online since you know it works.

This vs. That- I can only really base this on products I actually use to do a comparison. For instance, I buy purple shampoo for my blonde hair. SDM only carries one brand of Purple Shampoo- and it's normally super expensive during 20x the points or during bonus redemption ($11.99) Sally's sells several brands of purple shampoo, between $8-$10. All of which are double the size of the bottle SDM has. Also, back when I used to use SDM's hair dyes- I lost a significant amount of hair each time I was re-dying from roots and fading. My hair became brittle and thin and took years to get back my massive mop when I decided to stick to professional salons. SDMs bleach products also aren't that great- They are expensive for what you get and I found it always left my hair feeling like a broom. SDM's brushes also aren't that great for what you're paying ($9.99-$14.99) I usually get their paddle brush and it would always break after a few months of use. I bought a paddle brush at Sally's that looks identical and is half the price. So if it breaks, at least I spent less money.

I just did my roots and used a toner (dye pretty much) with Sally's products. Being a novice right now the colour wasn't spot on, but it still looks great. But the FEELING is amazing. Salon bleaches normally would dry my hair right out, leaving it super tangly for awhile. Whatever was in the products I used left my hair feeling super soft and maintained a lot of it's body and thickness. (Ion and Wella)

Overall I'm really happy with Sally's and they have SOO many great and affordable products it's almost overwhelming. Shoppers stuff really turned me off of DIY beauty stuff at home. Even all their expensive Toni & Guy flat irons broke on me, but I kept redeeming for them because I didn't have to pay for them. SDM is still good for fragrances, food and vitamins. But for everything else now I think I'll be sticking with Sally's.

I was just wondering, who else shops at Sally's? What products/brands do you like? What deals do they normally have? What products don't you like? Just in this month's flyer they have lots of BOGO, $x's off, Free products w/ purchase and so on.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Roots, Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Sally's Beauty Supply is awesome. The one is Whitby is managed by a great lady. They always have great stock and great prices.

The US Sally's has better prices, but at least we don't have to cross the border any more.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I love Sally's. Although, sometimes the staff are a hit or miss - they're either super friendly or act like you're bothering them. But, aside from that I love their products. I buy my nailpolish (China Glaze) and skincare there.
    Last edited by xox2010; Wed, Feb 13th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xox2010 View Post
    I love Sally's. Although, sometimes the staff are a hit or miss - they're either super friendly or act like your bothering them. But, aside from that I love their products. I buy my nailpolish (China Glaze) and skincare there.
    You are right about the staff. Whitby is good. There is one in Bowmanville that, IMHO, they should just shut down (really bad). There is a new one in Oshawa near RCSS on Taunton.
    xox2010 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never heard of Sally's before. I buy some things from Sephora, but I find them to be really expensive. They don't have the same products that I use from other stores so it's difficult to really make comparisons. I just find that the products are more than 3x the price, and I have to ask about whether or not it's really worth it.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly5 View Post
    I've never heard of Sally's before. I buy some things from Sephora, but I find them to be really expensive. They don't have the same products that I use from other stores so it's difficult to really make comparisons. I just find that the products are more than 3x the price, and I have to ask about whether or not it's really worth it.
    Sally's Beauty Supply is huge in the states. I am so glad they are here in Canada.
    Here is their Feb. flyer (US) and their website:
    http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aabj_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-SA-Site/Sites-SA-Library/default/v1361509580260/Flyers/USstore.pdf

http://www.sallybeauty.com/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have always loved a lot of Sally's products but I find the employees pretty craptacular they are very condescending but maybe its just my store?
    There are still quite a few things I love a SDM though that I won't give up on so Sally's won't be replacing them for everything.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Watch what you buy at Sephora- Many brands Shoppers Drug Mart carries for $5-$10 less plus your bonus points. If there's a brand you find you like there check SDMs website (they have a brand directory) or call your local beauty boutique SDM. I got this Korres Moisturizer for $49 at SDM + 20x points but it was $62 at Sephora. It seems like a lot but I had a facial rash from a medication allergy that never went away and I tried absolutely everything, a girl at Sephora gave me a tiny sample and it cleared it up 50%+ overnight. That was the first time I ever spent so much on a facial cream but I was desperate. I felt bad because the girl at Sephora was really helpful but once you factor in the $13 price difference plus the $10 in points, I'm not in a financial position to throw away $23 lol But I got a customer survey thing for the store with the girl's name and said how wonderfully amazing she was hopefully getting her some brownie points. There's also this Bliss product I bought that is $9 more at Sephora from Bliss's website, so I'm trying to find a Canadian cosmetic store that carries that brand (SDM doesn't)

CS wise at Sally's I can kind of relate. The girls that are at my location I think might be over-worked because there's always a hiring sign outside and it's a pretty tiny store. There's one girl that Is probably part time at my location I thought was really great and helpful- she sort of offered advice without me asking because I became discouraged from asking about products. They also have China Glaze on sale this month, woo!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I used to religiously shop at SDM, but I haven't stepped foot in there in 3 months since I became an Arbonne Independent Consultant. The products are absolutely amazing, and are free of parabens, formaldehyde, petroleum (yes, that's what mineral oil is...), and animal by-products (most mascara actually has bat poo in it...). I get paid to use products that I love, and to get together with friends and family and meet new people. I earn a lot more money now than I saved when I was couponing.
    Check out my new money-saving blog:
    http://www.malfinnsaves.ca/

Trading Score
    91 (100%)

they have a B2G1 deal with polishes this month. Does anyone know the regular price of their China Glazes? or other brands

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

smileyKY... I believe the regular price of China Glaze nail polish is around $6.99 each.
    smileyKT likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I bought the $5 Beauty Club membership in April.
    I got $5 worth of stuff today (sample packets) and paid nothing. The tax was included.
    When my receipt printed, they had ANOTHER coupon for 15% off $20 purchase.
    Love Sally's Beauty Supply. And they keep opening more and more stores too.
    www.SallyBeauty.com
    i_forget likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I heard of this store before but I never visited, until one day few weeks ago when I prancing around a shopping plaza near my work. I entered Sally's out of curiosity and was impressed by their offerings. I immediately bought a bottle of Seche Vite top coat (which I've been looking to buy for months). I found few other things that will keep me returning to the store.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KAT_5998 View Post
    I heard of this store before but I never visited, until one day few weeks ago when I prancing around a shopping plaza near my work. I entered Sally's out of curiosity and was impressed by their offerings. I immediately bought a bottle of Seche Vite top coat (which I've been looking to buy for months). I found few other things that will keep me returning to the store.
    Sally's is HUGE in the U.S. Glad you like the store.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I visited my first Sally's last week in England and man do I love the store. I spent £25 (about $40) and got 3 Seche Polishes, 2 China Glaze polishes. A new comb and a large and small hair donut.

There is a store back home but I never went in because my hair dresser said I needed a trade card to shop there. From what I hear she was wrong abd I am going to be all over that place when I get home.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information