User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: A mouse climbed in my bed last night. I was terrorized by a little mouse.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Thank you for your comments!

After I saw it strolled away from my room, I was afraid it would come back after I fall asleep. But I think the mouse trap scared the mouse a little bit (I know I kid myself bc seriously that mouse just walked away casually like nothing happened). I keep scanning my bed every few minutes or strain my ears for the slightest sound. I left a small recyling bag outside my room and the mouse keep messing with it for long time so at least I know the big one is outside but I still don't know where the smaller one is (the one that crawled on my bed). I don't know if it got scared and leave me alone or it's still hiding in my room waiting to strike. I am getting more traps today and will look for an exterminator on Monday. Meanwhile, I am exhausted and cat is not an option, I love cats but can't take care of them at this stage of my life.

I also need to fix the entry points from outside, just need to buy some steelwool and supplies to block the holes. I am going to start another round of cleaning and I rather be at SDM shopping, no time to look for the mcneil nasal sprays now.

PS. I don't know if I did the right thing, should I unblocked the hole to let them go somewhere or try to trap the ones already here? If I let the gate open more may come in.
    bluerose and operabob like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It is winter, if there is a hole, more will come in.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Last year we had 2 mice, the first one I just found dead (cat got it) the second one I heard but never saw until the cat got it again. He literally didn't eat for almost 2 days and stayed in the basement looking for it until he found it. I have to admit the first one I screamed and freaked out but I would def rather find a dead one then an alive one. good luck, seems like you got a lot of good tips from fellow SCers

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

im sorry that the mouse scared you but i really really hate those sticky traps they are so cruel.
    One time as my last job, we were having a mouse issue , we kept finding droppings around the chocolate/impulse candy by the cash and little bites taken out of the chocolate bars.
    so they called in pest control where they set up little sticky traps.
    One day we could hear one of the mice shrieking in the lunchroom but could not pinpoint it.
    One of the guys looked under the vending machine and there was the poor little mouse stuck to the glue shrieking because he was stuck, the guy who found him took him out from under the machine and put the poor little guy out of his misery.

Maybe i'm too empathetic but I just find those traps so cruel

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dawn_sweety View Post
    Last year we had 2 mice, the first one I just found dead (cat got it) the second one I heard but never saw until the cat got it again. He literally didn't eat for almost 2 days and stayed in the basement looking for it until he found it. I have to admit the first one I screamed and freaked out but I would def rather find a dead one then an alive one. good luck, seems like you got a lot of good tips from fellow SCers
    Could you please lend me your cat? I'll pay hourly rate in high value coupons.

I agreed with everyone about the sticky trap and any other slow death method. In a way I am glad I don't have to deal with finding a half dead mouse, I rather evict them. In fact 2 weeks ago, I found a small brown mouse in my empty recycling box, it was trying to jump out but couldn't. It looked distressed so I took the box to front door and release it. It ran and cling right on to the meterbox and I have to keep stomping my feet to scare it away, then it turned around and ran straight back at the door but it was closed so it ran to my next door neighbour's. Shortly after I heard a swoosh sound so I thought it got in my neighbour's house and end of story...a few days ago I found out there's a hole near the meterbox that's why the mouse was clinging to the box instead of make a dash across the street. I am sure it found it's way back inside my house the same day it got released. Anyway, they have been ignoring the all snap traps I set with peanut butter, bacon and liver.
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Your experiences with mice is making my skin crawl just by reading it. I remember when I was a kid, my sis found one under the stove in the kitchen. She screamed and ran upstairs as fast as she could (with me and mom right behind her). Thank God our cat was a mouser, he got it in less than 10 minutes.

Borrow a mouser from anyone you know, and plug up any holes you may have, they will keep coming in if they find any point of entry to your house.
    operabob and Decaf like this.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    Could you please lend me your cat? I'll pay hourly rate in high value coupons.

I agreed with everyone about the sticky trap and any other slow death method. In a way I am glad I don't have to deal with finding a half dead mouse, I rather evict them. In fact 2 weeks ago, I found a small brown mouse in my empty recycling box, it was trying to jump out but couldn't. It looked distressed so I took the box to front door and release it. It ran and cling right on to the meterbox and I have to keep stomping my feet to scare it away, then it turned around and ran straight back at the door but it was closed so it ran to my next door neighbour's. Shortly after I heard a swoosh sound so I thought it got in my neighbour's house and end of story...a few days ago I found out there's a hole near the meterbox that's why the mouse was clinging to the box instead of make a dash across the street. I am sure it found it's way back inside my house the same day it got released. Anyway, they have been ignoring the all snap traps I set with peanut butter, bacon and liver.
    I remember from your first post that you said you snapped your thumb once trying to set the trap, do you know anyone with nimble fingers who could help you set them? If the trap isn't set on a 'hair trigger' they can sometimes eat off it without setting it off. I was using cheap traps from a dollar store, but after setting them a few times, I was able to get them so you would have to place it ever so gently on the floor not to set it off. And of course place them around entry points and always against walls since that's their normal path.
    operabob, Decaf and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Mice First things first, get yourself a new companion, a nice kitty. Then, sent up a ton of traps. Mice carry so many dangerous diseases. You'll have a lot of cleaning to do once your positive you gotten rid of them all. As for the tape you put over the hole in the wall, that won't stop them, mice chew through just about everything, it may help to get some of that expanding foam that comes in a tube from home depot or any hardware store, even Wal-Mart carries. The stuff that you fill a hole with, then it expands and becomes hard as a rock. It'll take them a bit of time to chew through it, and hopefully in the meantime, you can catch them and close any other holes you find that they're coming out of. I wish you the best of luck.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

operabob, Judstir, Natalka and 2 others like this.
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

that is freaking horrifying!!!!!!!!!!

and yes, female cats are better hunters
    operabob, Judstir, Decaf and 1 others like this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I am all creeped out now, but feel your pain OP. We get 'em almost every winter in the basement. We first heard something crawling around up inside the drop ceiling, nothing makes you more on edge than that mysterious scratching and the 2 cats then just staring intently upwards.
    DH placed the snap traps ( yes multiple traps up there) ....and reset numerous times till all are dead. I never looked at one dead one ever, or set anything. BIG FAT CHICKEN here. lol

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

My female cat (despite living on the streets for several years) couldn't catch a mouse, depends on the cat. The male one could catch anything he wanted. So doesn't have to be a female just not a lazy cat.
    But then u will have to buy a dewormer for the cat if it doesn't regularly eat birds and mice
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Years ago, when one of my sisters had a mouse in their home which they just couldn't catch - they had tried everything! - she (who absolutely hates cats) was so desperate she asked to borrow our cat at the time.

Now this really was a HUGE deal - she has a fear of cats, not just a dislike.
    Our cat at the time was Pouf - a male cat, who then would go outside sometimes, and would bring me 'presents' of dead birds (gah!) on the doorstep, so we thought there was a chance he might be a mouser.

So we set him up at her house and he was there for almost a week, and no go.... they still knew the mouse was in the basement somewhere. They finally got it a week later, but don't know what type of trap they used.

Bonus to the story: my sister actually 'liked' having Pouf curl up on her legs on the couch, and found it nice to pet a purring kitty.... I still find it amazing she did this!

When I was a teenager, I remember waking up at night to 'crinkling' sounds at the base of my bed - turned on the light, and there was a grocery bag on the floor, with something moving in it..... OY!
    I just shut the door, went down to the basement for the rest of the night, and my mom (yes, she was brave!) dealt with it in the morning.
    The bedroom I was in then was right next to the attached garage - so actually it was surprizing it didn't happen more often.
    Last edited by Natalka; Sun, Feb 17th, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I bought this type of traps http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en based on the great reviews but none of the traps I set caught anything...those damn mice are too smart. Last night was awful, I was lying there listening to them chewing on the walls, they ran back and forth inside the walls I think.
    operabob and Cathy_D like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information