User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree307Likes

Thread: Expensive Healthy Eating

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

I don't think eating healthy is very expensive. I don't coupon as much anymore because I cannot eat many foods that coupons are for. My diet is strictly meats, some dairy and produce. Maybe 5% grain based foods. Nothing pre-made from a box or freezer. I have a local grocery store (Goodness Me) that has lots of great sales on Organic Produce. Fortinos does as well. The only bread I normally eat is bread I make myself (Water, flour, salt, sugar, yeast-pretty easy)

We get all our meat from costco. We buy Beef, Chicken, Salmon, Rainbow Trout and usually something different to change it up (Different kind of fish, veal, pork, whatever) We spend around $100 just on meat. We cut it up into portions, vac seal it and that is enough meat for us for a few months. The other night I made a whole roasted chicken for dinner which was $5 at Fortinos which had enough left overs for my husband to make wraps the following day. Our side was $0.75 worth of broccoli and carrots. The night before that we had rainbow trout baked in the oven and peas/corn as a side. I don't know what exactly the trout cost. I think a tray costing $17-$19 comes with 6 very large fillets, enough to feed two people. Organic frozen peas and corn were about $2.99 a package and I only used about a handful of each, I can't really put a price on that but I hardly put a dent in the bag.

A bag of organic apples is usually $3.99-$4.99, it usually lasts us 2-3 weeks. $2 worth of bananas ($0.70-$0.90/lb for Organic) lasts a week more or less depending on how many are in the bunch. I don't buy ALL organic (I cannot afford meat or dairy). But produce is normally pretty inexpensive regardless of what you're getting. Tomorrow I'm making cauliflower soup and I'm throwing in a chicken breast and a pork chop and adding carrots, onions and Hungarian dumplings. It's pretty much pennies a serving as it normally last several days afterwards from just 1 cauliflower and it's traditionally made with leftover meat but we want to clear out the freezer lol I also have a dumpling recipe you make out of stale bread.

I personally drink lots of coffee, tea and water. Try having a large herbal tea or glass of water before dinner, it'll normally keep you full all night. I do drink some orange juice but water it down 30% so it lasts me over a week.

This spring/summer we plan on doing a lot more hunting and fishing, thus providing us with lots of healthy food essentially for free from mother nature. It couldn't get much cheaper than that.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    I decided to check out Chinatown today since I needed some stuff to make chili for my sister. I got the biggest green pepper I've ever seen for .60 and a 2lb bag of onions for .89! It cost me a whole $1.50 which is probably the price I would have paid for just the green pepper at the grocery store!

I checked out the fruits and was not impressed with the prices. I think they are way cheaper in the summer so will be buying from No Frills when they go on sale instead because it ends up being cheaper. Produce is still really cheap though if you go for all the greens and sprouts! I wish I knew what to do with bok choy and a bunch of the other greens they have for .99.
    Fruits are much cheaper in season. I find No Frills to have much smaller fruit and I end up throwing out more core or peel so it's technically more expensive.

Bok choy and gai lan are lovely when steamed on their own or with garlic. You can add oyster sauce (mushroom based) to taste if it's too plain. Have a look at the nearby restaurant menus to see how it's prepared or what with. King's Noodle at Spadina and Dundas has a take out menu at the cash. Gai lan is also nice in congee (rice soups that can be prepared by boiling rice or in rice cookers). Moq qua (can't remember how they write it in english) is a fuzzy squash that is amazing when boiled in beef broth in it's own soup. Mum made it from scratch though, so if you add bouillion cubes or packaged broths, it will taste off from the original.

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    So um anyone have good ideas for stuff like bok choy etc? I can't remember all the names of the greens they had but I don't know how to prepare any of them or what they would be good with! Pretty much the only thing I would know how to do is bean sprouts since I absolutely love them when I do chow mein. I'm also assuming that chinese cabbage is the same as our cabbage? It was super cheap too and I love steamed cabbage with pepper and salt. My dad and I can eat bowls of it...who cares if we have anything else with the meal just let us eat cabbage! LOL!
    Those vegetables have a mild taste so they go well with everything. It's like cheese, but less expensive and gave me the lowest charted cholesterols my doctor had seen in her life. Bonus! Maybe that makes up for my crazy mad tofu habit?

I can't say for the cabbage. I don't think I really care for cabbage grown locally, but Chinese cabbage is also nice in soups or with a bit of oyster sauce, sugar, and a pinch of salt. I think you need my mom on speed dial. She's amazing at this kind of thing. Beware though, she'll make you crave the foods you hate with her recipies. And she doesn't do measurements. It's all "when it looks enough".
    Crochetlady likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm gluten free - and that can be expensive if you buy GF packaged stuff. I tend to steer away from most of that - but will stock up while in the US. I'm not much of a meat eater, but you can make some easy, yummy soups and stews for fairly cheap. Beans, chicken broth (or boullion or water), some veggies, frz. corn, canned tomatoes make a great chili - and lots of it! I buy a lot of organic, and much of the broths etc. are more expensive because I need them to be GF. If I could buy regular - even cheaper! there's some great frugal recipes out there by googling
    Crochetlady likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information