User Tag List

View Poll Results: 25 Hour Work Week? What do you think?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I could do a lot with 3 days on and 2 days free.

16 45.71%
  • No. I don't want to work to 80 years of age.

6 17.14%
  • I am retiring at 55. Freedom 55 Baby!

5 14.29%
  • Keep the 40 hour work week. Don't mess with success.

8 22.86%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: 25 Hour Work Week? Yes or No?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Wow, I have BEEN the patient in this situation in the ER, almost exactly with several nurses trying, then when older, experienced Super IV nurse came, boom, it was in.
    Thanks for sharing Natalka.

The Super Experienced Employee idea works in retail, blue collar jobs, with executives and even with secretaries/administrative staff too. When you lose an older, wiser, teck savvy Super Admin person, the whole office seems lost.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't think amassing a million dollars by retirement is that difficult.

Assuming you start with $0 at age 25 you need to save about $400/month to have a million at 65 assuming average annual interest of 7%. If you can't start saving till 30 because you were paying off your student loan or whatever then you need to save about $580/month. Not out of reach for someone making an average income assuming they're not living lavishly.
    Shwa Girl and Travelnut like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Assuming you start with $0 at age 25 you need to save about $400/month to have a million at 65 assuming average annual interest of 7%. If you can't start saving till 30 because you were paying off your student loan or whatever then you need to save about $580/month. Not out of reach for someone making an average income assuming they're not living lavishly.

see the trouble with this lays is finding a job that pays enough and in a living situation where you can afford to set aside $400+ a month.. and i'm not talking about people living lavish lifestyles.. it's a good chunk of people who have limited incomes and after rent/basic mortgage(not talking lavish houses.. but realistic to fit their family needs) utilities, insurance, groceries there isn't a spare $400.. we also have a wide selection of highly educated people who are carrying rather large loans and cannot find a job.. it really does depend on where in the country you are living.. the average income will leave you living paycheck to paycheck in my town
    i_forget likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Still, you are living the dream, as the researchers are suggesting.

I am really thinking about the 25 hour work week and what it takes for me to make this happen

my work schedule alternates like this:

week one - 27 hrs
    week two- 42 hrs
    week three- 39 hrs

so, i don't know if i have it that good
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Older does not equal dead wood in MANY cases.
    No doubt about it, but you're taking my words out of context. As part of employement cycle in a business, it's just as important to make sure your staff isn't getting stagnant by helping employees leave, by giving them a pension, as it is when you're hiring them. What do you think downsizing is all about? It's laying off people that are no "longer required", and they often target older workers because they earn more than younger employees.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Not possible if someone is to work for only 25 hours a week. Unless they have another income stream coming in, of course.

And what's an average income to be able to put away $400/month (after tax, of course) for the rest of your life and be able to afford small luxuries? I can see someone with no obligations being able to manage it, but anyone not fitting situation, I bet it's a struggle.
    matrix82 and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal50 View Post
    my work schedule alternates like this:

week one - 27 hrs
    week two- 42 hrs
    week three- 39 hrs

so, i don't know if i have it that good
    If my math is correct you are working about 36 hours per week, on average. At least you get some weeks with free time to take care of your personal appointments or relax.
    frugal50 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yeah you just wouldn't be able to afford the kind of lifestyle we have all been accustomed to with a 25 hour work week. Although it would sure be nice!!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I could not afford to go down to working 25 hr weeks. Working full time barely pays the bills, and we live frugally.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Working at minimum wage how would someone make their rent, pay for food and cover bills?
    It would be $1083 per month before taxes and deductions.

Rent where I live for a two bedroom apartment is around $750-1400 per month, excluding utilities.

My spouse works 45+ hrs a week just to pay bills and I work more than fulltime.

The idea sounds great, but unless employer's are going to pay more than minimum wage or costs drop dramatically, it is not liveable.
    Shwa Girl and i_forget like this.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    Working at minimum wage how would someone make their rent, pay for food and cover bills?
    It would be $1083 per month before taxes and deductions.

Rent where I live for a two bedroom apartment is around $750-1400 per month, excluding utilities.

My spouse works 45+ hrs a week just to pay bills and I work more than fulltime.

The idea sounds great, but unless employer's are going to pay more than minimum wage or costs drop dramatically, it is not liveable.
    You are right. People working minimum wage and living alone would have a difficult time. People making minimum wage, living with room mates and family and share food costs, utility costs, etc and take advantage of every benefit available in the ir province, may be able to do this.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

[QUOTE=Shwa Girl;5306181]You are right. People working minimum wage and living alone would have a difficult time. People making minimum wage, living with room mates and family and share food costs, utility costs, etc and take advantage of every benefit available in the ir province, may be able to do this.[/QUOTE

The key is may be able to do this.
    Use this link

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information