User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: How can I earn some extra money?

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

A few things I do/have done:

Clean houses- I used to work for a house cleaning company, and was appalled at how much the clients paid and how much of that we (the cleaners) saw. So I went off on my own. When you know how to do it right, you can make some good money. (Can make between $30-$150+ per clean) Sometimes paid "off the record".

Cleaning cars- you can clean cars while people are at work! You'd have to get permission from the office first (I offered the owner/manager etc. a free car wash for letting me put a flyer in their office). You can do a few cars on the same day without travelling between jobs, and they come out at the end of a long day to a freshly washed car (inside and out). Usually paid "off the record". Can make $40-$80 depending on the vehicle)

Pet sitting- I used to live very close to a military base. These wonderful folks are often asked to go away for weeks/months at a time, and their pets have needs. If it's a long time they tend to board their dogs, but leaving the cats at home with a pet sitter is cheaper and the cats are happier. Depending on how often you go, and how much work is to be done you can make $5-$10 per visit. More if you're dog-walking. Usually paid "off the record". I'm currently cat/house-sitting for someone who lives close to me who paid me $300 for two weeks. I usually hang out and watch a movie with the kitty every few days at that price. And I get to bring my kids along who play in the backyard or watch a movie with me.

Delivering papers- it might not be much money, but it's not much work, and you can get extra coupons on insert weeks (please don't take them from customers- you usually get a few extra papers anyway). $60-$100+/month depending on how many papers you deliver. Plus if you ask nicely, it can be "off the record".

I had lots of luck also going to Salvation Army and Goodwill buying brand name baby clothes and reselling them on eBay. You have to go in the day after the trucks come in (ask the manager what day that is) , and really watch for holes or stains. Value Village is not a great place for reselling as they bump up their prices for brand name items. I once found a baby gap snowsuit for $1.99. Paired it with a baby gap hat that matched for .99. Resold it on eBay for $30+.

Creating resumes. You can do this online and they can pay via paypal, never even having to meet face-to-face. Customers send you their info, and you arrange it into a resume. Advertise that you'll do a custom cover letter for $5 if they hire you for the resume. One cover letter per position. They send you the info along with 1/2 payment as deposit. Then you send them a draft (with a large watermark) and after they are happy and pay the final amount, you send them the final product with no watermarks. I charged $30 per resume, and only had one person not purchase a cover letter as well. They often like to see samples of your work first. If you have someone else's resume on hand, make sure you black out identifying information before sending.

I'm also "swagbucking" though I just started so I can't tell you how long it takes to get anywhere. I am at 200 swagbucks though for one week worth of trying which hasn't taken any real amount of time out of my day. Almost halfway to a $5 gift card.

If I think of more I'll edit this. As you can tell, I prefer jobs where I set my own hours and price.
    Last edited by CanadianCouponCollector; Thu, Jun 27th, 2013 at 08:54 AM.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I agree with those that suggest cleaning.

I do high end residential cleaning and while yes it is hard work it also pays nicely. I'm talking $25-$30 an hour . You can also have a 4 hour min charge so it can be very good $$$. I love doing it. It allows me to work when I want and still bring home $$$ plus when you have your own business you have a lot of things to be deducted at tax time

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by harbie View Post
    I agree with those that suggest cleaning.

I do high end residential cleaning and while yes it is hard work it also pays nicely. I'm talking $25-$30 an hour . You can also have a 4 hour min charge so it can be very good $$$. I love doing it. It allows me to work when I want and still bring home $$$ plus when you have your own business you have a lot of things to be deducted at tax time

It's true. I live in a rural area and I pay my cleaning lady $25/hr just for a basic clean. WHen you really think about it there's not a ton of jobs that pay as well as that. BUT many people put a negative connitation on cleaning. . .therefore very few want to do it. The way I think of it is. .. . I get distracted waaaaay too much when I clean (my own place) If some one can come in and do it in 3 hours, I'm better off in the long run just doing the job I'm good at.

Have you ever helped a friend clean their house? It seems so easy, because there's no distractions. Well, if you can do that for $25-30 an hour. .that's awesome money. you can make in half the time what many take an entire week to make!

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I just wanted to add that alot of my high end clients also give extra for gas. For example I get and extra $10 each visit for gas and since I drive a Jetta TDI the fuel economy I get is fantastik so really it's just another $10 since it doesn't cost me anywhere near that in diesel!

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You may want to consider selling stuff on eBay.

When I say that, you may think garage sale trinkets. But that is not what I mean.

In your travels, you may encounter some bargains that you recognize as being great deals, but ones that are really of no use to you. So you leave them there for someone else. This is a reasonable course of action, to let the store sell the good deal to someone who needs it.

But what about turning that on its head, and buying the good deal, and using the power of the number of shoppers on eBay to sell your item.

I'll give you an example. I go into Mark's Work Wearhouse for the Boxing Day Sale every year. Specifically, I look for good work boots (bonus for safety boots) on crazy sale.

Well, a couple of years ago, I went in and saw very nicely made and attractive steel-toed safety boots in size 14 and size 15 for $20. I, like most people, just picked them up, marvelled at their size (even though I am a size 12 1/2), and put them back down.

But thinking about it afterwards, being a size 12 1/2, I can tell you first hand that it is crazy hard to find boots that fit me in Canada. Finding nice boots that fit me is even harder. I can only imagine how difficult it is if your feet are that size. I would therefore assume that people whose feet are that size would be willing to spend a pretty penny to get good footwear.

Now, I'm not saying to get into the business of selling shoes to Andre The Giant, but rather, to resell items that are unbelievable deals, that others would be willing to buy. This is especially good in that you can do the buying part of your business on your regular buying rounds for yourself. And then your selling can be done mostly at home.

Just a thought. The idea is worth every penny that you paid for it!
    LIVE SIMPLE likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There are some survey websites that will pay you money to take surveys. You can take them on the bus when you have nothing better to do (assuming that you have internet). It usually works out to minimum wage or higher overall.

Just make sure that it is a reputable survey site

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

I try to think 'inward' rather that 'outward' when wondering how to make extra money. Today I made about $50 canning applesauce and making a big batch of raisin bread and buns for our family.....our bank account is much happier when I keep the grocery bill low

Im Frugal & I Know It! mandygeering's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have just updated my list of ways I make money online! I hope you enjoy! http://www.funkyfrugalmommy.com/2014...ey-online.html
    Horndogg likes this.
    Please visit my blog! http://funkyfrugalmommy.com I host giveaways, post recipes, jokes, freebies and more! Hope to see you soon!

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

Quote Originally Posted by mandygeering View Post
    I have just updated my list of ways I make money online! I hope you enjoy! http://www.funkyfrugalmommy.com/2014...ey-online.html
    nice logging site but do you really make money from your site? and how?
    Coin Out:
    https://coinout.com/referrals/new?r=MZC6CYR

Still paying with PayPal
    http://superpay.me/members/withdraw/list.php?ref=Truckerswife2

Trading Score
    369 (100%)

I am a Distributor with It Works Global. They are great! All products are natural and help promote healthy living. There are body wraps, skincare, supplements and lifestyle products. You can work from home and/or primarily online, be your own boss, set your own hours and it's very simple and straight forward to promote ranks. Be a stay at home Mom, work part-time hours with full-time pay! Like anything, you got to put in a little work to reap the benefits of working at home but I am loving it so far, business is booming! Right now, if you sign up before March 31 you are eligible for the $10,000 bonus if you promote ranks within your first 3 months, as well! There is a link in my signature or you can PM me for more info!

West Coast!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The subreddit called beermoney on reddit.com is a good place to start

friends and deals
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i came across this link .. it's worth a try. it's free and there's a 25 $ bonus to register.

http://TheWeeklyJob.com/?id=46749

friends and deals
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke_ View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to earn some extra cash? And how exactly you went about doing it. Maybe you started a dog walking business or something?
    I have my mornings free generally and wouldn't mind hearing advice on ways to go about making extra cash!

Thanks
    Small task takes just 30 seconds to complete and earn 10$ per task.
    follow the link
    http://TheWeeklyJob.com/?id=46749

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    194 (100%)

the Weekly job had a similar site a few months ago. I quickly earned a few thousand dollars on it and of course when time came to check out there were constant technical glitches that wouldn't allow me to access my money unless I signed up for various sites they would get referral fees from and I had to pay to join. They were very clear on the fact that if their server had issues recognizing my paid subscription to whatever site they had me sign up for, I would simply have to sign up for another one...kinda sketchy! The biggest thing for me was that the email address on the site bounced back.

Scam adviser gives it a 10% rating, making it high risk - read the details here: http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/theweeklyjob.com

Last edited by spanishpoet; Thu, Aug 7th, 2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Want to learn how to coupon? Check out this ultimate guide to couponing in Canada!

Love Swagbucks? Check out Treasure Trooper! Same idea, but also has a chat room and pays to play with dragons! Pays in USD! Click here for a $5 bonus when you sign up!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    194 (100%)

Personally, I've had some success and really like the SFI program for affiliate marketing and sales (http://www.sfi4.com/13181799/first). If you're interested, pm me and I can send you some free tokens to use on their e-comerce site.

I also have links to various ways I make extra money on the blog I run http://www.moneysavvyme.ca - Hope you can find something helpful there.
    Want to learn how to coupon? Check out this ultimate guide to couponing in Canada!

Love Swagbucks? Check out Treasure Trooper! Same idea, but also has a chat room and pays to play with dragons! Pays in USD! Click here for a $5 bonus when you sign up!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information