User Tag List

Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree3821Likes

Thread: Frugal March chatter (Marching on with Savings) cont'd Frugal Feb....

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

I'm in.

I'm shopping only free, or close to free, personal care items. Other than that I am going to continue with batch cooking and I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on sales for fish and chicken breasts.
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

lecale- I know what you mean about long hair- I need a haircut!. I had my hair cut into a short layered bob last summer. I have grown it out since. I can cut my own bangs, but would NEVER attempt to cut the rest. Especially because it is so wavy. I cut DS' hair yesterday, but didn't take enough off the top. So I will fix it today. To get a decent haircut in my area has been tough without breaking the bank. So far the only one who really knows how to cut wavy/curly hair charged $90 all in for a shampoo and a haircut. I almost don't want to try somewhere else because it has been such a waste of money being unhappy.

Even though we were over by a bit last month- we still managed to save $60 in groceries last month. And I still have a few things left in my freezer! Starting the meal planning today for the next week.
    macw1960, lecale and jasperandchar like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Glad that you are Marching on with us.

FB has chicken breasts on this week for $2.00 lbs
    Metro I don't know if it's just my store because they did a reno but check your flyer just incase - they have Lean Ground Beef on for $1.88 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by SimplifiedMommyTips View Post
    I a glad that this continues, I need to get right on our budget every month so I could extend my maternity leave , thank you for starting this thread. My stockpile in the freezer is getting low so March will be my time to stock up again for meat, I need to find for good deal for meats and other frozen stuffs.
    gourmetsue, macw1960 and lecale like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

It's all the small stuff that blows the budget, I need printer ink as well but I see it as an investment which will pay for itself with the savings from the coupons I will print. As for spices they are generally expensive but if you can hold out for that .99 it will be a flavourful experience (lol).

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Discretionary budget: dh gave himself a frugal hair cut with the clippers...I think I can't avoid it any longer, my hair is too hot, I am going to have to budget a haircut. I also need some office supplies, printer ink anyway. There are a few pieces I'd like for the kitchen. Realistically I would like to spend $50-100 because February I bought nothing exciting.

Transportation budget: February I was over budget in cabs and under budget in busses and they cancelled each other out. This month I have more appointments and I am doing volunteer stuff out of the house so I can use the extra tickets from last month to make up for that. No changes.

Regular bills: Have to phone Bell because they jacked our bill up by $40

Food budget: For the longest time I just didn't get why I was always higher than dh on my grocery tab, and $200 seems a load to spend on one person. I'm all stocked up to bake. I need one of those $.99 sales on bagged spices though. (Spices are another place my budget leaks $$$). I'd like to try and get $50 off my grocery bill so I am going to be strict with myself here. I'm sure there are some Tuscan veg in the back of the freezer lol.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

My dh is awful in a grocery store, he will always buy something that is not on the list but it's the price I pay for asking him to go to the stores near his work.

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    The calendar has been flipped over to March and I am ready to start. Today and tomorrow will be spend days as I have to by flea medication for cats (preventive & budgeted for) and fresh fruits & veggies tomorrow.

Don't really know what I can do different except don't take DH shopping with me as he likes to spend more especially in the grocery store as he always has to check out the meat.
    gourmetsue and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

awesome that you have a plan it makes a huge different. FB has chicken breasts on sale this week for $2.00 lbs if that appeals to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunraven View Post
    I'm in.

I'm shopping only free, or close to free, personal care items. Other than that I am going to continue with batch cooking and I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on sales for fish and chicken breasts.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

So I have decided that I am going to make the following changes in March

I will make larger portions/batches of food to freeze like Sunraven (other than my weekly baking).

I will make an effort to watch 'Til debt do us part & Princess tv shows by Gail Vaz-Oxlade as I find them motivational and do appreciate some of her money saving tips.

I need to stock up on meat this month so my Metro (I don't know if it's because they just did a renovation) has Lean Ground beef on for $1.88 lbs so I plan I purchasing multiple packs to make (spaghetti sauce, garlic meatballs, meatballs with no sauce, used up some of my Ol el paso kits, shepperds pie) and anything else I can think of that the family will eat.

When I am planning a grocery trip or an outing I always grab 2 beverages (1 for the ride to the place I am going & 1 for on the way home) so that I will not be parged and purchase a pop or coffee while out on the road, dh is now even doing the same thing (I am impressed), if going on a long haul into the city I will pack snacks for the kids so that we don't have to pull into McDonalds etc for something to eat.

My baking supplies are stocked, however, I will purchase some Robin Hood Flour which is on sale this week at G&T for $3.97 - $1.00 coupon = $2.97 pretty good price for name brand in my opinion.

I am also breaking my expected hydro bill cost into 4 payments this month so that instead of having to pay the large sum at the end of the month which hurts the bank account I will pay so much each week and see how that works and may continue this strategy on into future budgeting.

Ds's birthday is March 3rd so we will be splurging on his birthday with a BUDGETED Lunch to Pizza Hut with the inlaws. My inlaws and parents will be paying for themselves that goes without saying (lol).

\Best of luck to everyone.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Well, it is March 1st and my budget is already blown. I am scared to add up what our groceries will cost this week as there are so many things on sale. Also going to buying a ton of convince foods (granola bars, snack bars) that I can keep to just toss and go at the end of each week. But I figure $0.99 for a box of granola bars is way better than $1.99 for a small bag of chips or chocolate bar.

My schedule is going to totally blown and expect to pretty much no energy with the switching back and forth between locations. Getting up at 5 twice a week is going to hurt, but I think the fact I am doing it every other day will make it hard to get into a routine since one day I can sleep till 6, the next day I will be up at 5. Hoping for the best but I know me so expecting the worst. I do not run well on lack of sleep but on the bright side instead of looking at it as a month I am looking at it as 8 days. Yes playing games with my own mind.

Hoping if all goes well this weekend we will stay under $100 for grocery (ouch that is twice our normal budget) and hopefully come Sunday I can make some homemade stuff to off set the convience foods I will be tossing in to get me through the week without take out. It is so much easier when I am in regular location and do not drive by 7 Tim Horton's and way too many fast food places to count and am on my normal schedule where I have more time to cook and prep.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

SassyAshley, you just reminded me of my mom. She used to say nature's convenience food was fruit. My mom use to say that "they even come with a wrapper!" (skin/peel). LOL!

It is hard to "grab and go" when one is sleepy. I remember arriving to work with a container of gravy (nothing else) thinking I had the last nights dinner! LOL!
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

something to consider for those that have long commutes may be investing in a good quality thermos for your coffee, hot chocolate, etc this way you have no excuse as you are not doing without your hot beverage fix and most likely to stay away from Tim Hortons or other fast food places for your coffee.

Also a thermos is a great way to have a warm/hot lunch with little cost to you as they are your leftovers = soups, stews, pasta etc. and this way you don't feel the need for the fast/convenient take out restaurants on every corner of the streets (lol). Also consider portion sizes for lunch, freeze them and bring several containers to work each week and leave them in the freezer there if they have room, take them out in the am for the following days lunch.

I guess I was lucky in 1 sense when I grew up we never stopped for coffee, treats, my mom always have a beverages packed and snacks for our road trips, appointments, etc. so I grew up with this way of life and it doesn't drive me nuts or craving for a coffee while out and about.

Dh finds it more difficult but has only stopped at Tim Horton's 2 times last month (Feb) which is a huge change. He mentioned the other day that he prefers bringing the coffee from home because he likes the Folgers better than Tim Hortons coffee and the price is definately great, with pennies for each cup & he doesn't have to wait in the long lines of the drive threw waiting to place & get his order which can take quite a few minutes at 7AM so it's a win win situation. He gets his travel mug ready in the am and off he goes with this huge insulated tumbler which stays warm until he gets to work and there is enough coffee in the tumbler to last his whole commute.

Any tips on passing by those temptations????

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, thanks for this thread.
    Fallen Pixels, thanks for the February version.

So, Frugal March goals include:
    1. spending less on gas for car -- by filling up when prices are low and paying cash for gas
    2. eat from the freezer more -- buy some perishable fruits and veggies when necessary

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I do take alot of fruits and such with me, so those are great but I also do like to keep a couple granola/snack bars on hand for when the fruit just isn't doing it for me. I have been try to make more and more homemade ones but not sure I will be able to this month. Between the change in hours, losing sleep (oh how I hate springing forward) and quite a few things going on this month not quite sure where I will find the extra time.

Oh yes I have been there get to work only to discover my lunch is not what I thought it was. NOthing like thinking you grabbed left over pasta to find out all your brought was plain boiled potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    SassyAshley, you just reminded me of my mom. She used to say nature's convenience food was fruit. My mom use to say that "they even come with a wrapper!" (skin/peel). LOL!

It is hard to "grab and go" when one is sleepy. I remember arriving to work with a container of gravy (nothing else) thinking I had the last nights dinner! LOL!
    I have travel mugs which I use now, but at my normal location we have a kettle and numerous people here drink tea so we keep milk on hand so we can all make our own. My plan is to make it at home and take it with me. My huge concern is weather, with the longer commute and the fact that I have to open the store if we have bad weather I need to just get out the door. Hopefully we will have good weather and the way it works out in my head can go into action and the only added expense will be gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    something to consider for those that have long commutes may be investing in a good quality thermos for your coffee, hot chocolate, etc this way you have no excuse as you are not doing without your hot beverage fix and most likely to stay away from Tim Hortons or other fast food places for your coffee.

Also a thermos is a great way to have a warm/hot lunch with little cost to you as they are your leftovers = soups, stews, pasta etc. and this way you don't feel the need for the fast/convenient take out restaurants on every corner of the streets (lol). Also consider portion sizes for lunch, freeze them and bring several containers to work each week and leave them in the freezer there if they have room, take them out in the am for the following days lunch.

I guess I was lucky in 1 sense when I grew up we never stopped for coffee, treats, my mom always have a beverages packed and snacks for our road trips, appointments, etc. so I grew up with this way of life and it doesn't drive me nuts or craving for a coffee while out and about.

Dh finds it more difficult but has only stopped at Tim Horton's 2 times last month (Feb) which is a huge change. He mentioned the other day that he prefers bringing the coffee from home because he likes the Folgers better than Tim Hortons coffee and the price is definately great, with pennies for each cup & he doesn't have to wait in the long lines of the drive threw waiting to place & get his order which can take quite a few minutes at 7AM so it's a win win situation. He gets his travel mug ready in the am and off he goes with this huge insulated tumbler which stays warm until he gets to work and there is enough coffee in the tumbler to last his whole commute.

Any tips on passing by those temptations????

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Spend less this month... If I can do that, I'll be happy.

Didn't start out with Frugal February...just didn't plan.
    However I did try to be frugal for lent...(Mid Feb-March 31)
    Hasn't gone so well had 1 B-day party and another one coming up.
    So 2 party during this time is expensive. Plus March break coming up.
    Plus I need meat, fruits, milk, bread, juice. Wish my Metro had the ground beef on sale.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

baby steps they all add up!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvToUseCoupons View Post
    Spend less this month... If I can do that, I'll be happy.

Didn't start out with Frugal February...just didn't plan.
    However I did try to be frugal for lent...(Mid Feb-March 31)
    Hasn't gone so well had 1 B-day party and another one coming up.
    So 2 party during this time is expensive. Plus March break coming up.
    Plus I need meat, fruits, milk, bread, juice. Wish my Metro had the ground beef on sale.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (57%)

I really want to figure out how to spend less than 1.5 hours at the grocery store. I only do 1 grocery shop a week, usually Friday mornings (stock is good and the store is quiet). But it still takes me between 1.5-2hours a week... Is that average?

Maybe it's cause I am sorting to price match of checking the coupons I don't know! Lol
    We don't need to be rich, don't need to be famous just to have a good time!

Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread Information