User Tag List

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Anyone else Planting gardens/flowers?

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

wow, a lot of busy bees I see. That is great to hear!! I ran out of dirt...again, sheesh, big bags sure go quick, not to mention getting pricey lol. We have to haul in some dirt for the raised garden beds. That should be a killer. Apparently there used to be a lot of cars and trucks on our property so I am not willing to take the chance of planting food in the soil due to contamination thus the raised beds. Spend tonight unloading wood for the beds that we were able to get from a neighbour, saved us big bucks. Trade is a wonderful thing lol. Sure couldn't afford to buy it all at the store. Tomorrow if it is still planned to rain, hubby will be building them, can't work in the rain.
    Started lining our newly dugged ponds, neighbour did a great job doing that for us. Our yard is going through a major transformation this year. I hurt, I'm dirty, and have eaten more dirt this last week then I care too lol, but loving every min of it
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

Oh forgot to ask, I got my hand on 50 strawberry plants, can they be planted in pots or should they go in the ground? I just worry neighbour kids will raid them. We live in a tiny town and they tend to get bored at 2 am. Thanks for any imput
    Also, feel free to share your gardening pics, I would love love love to see them
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i don't dare plant flowers on my patio.. my toodles likes to pick them a little too much but i bought her a little tree for her to take care of i just need to get a new pot for it
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

awwww, that is so sweet. What's the matter mom, don't want to keep buying new plants everyday lol.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by recessionisnotfun View Post
    Oh forgot to ask, I got my hand on 50 strawberry plants, can they be planted in pots or should they go in the ground? I just worry neighbour kids will raid them. We live in a tiny town and they tend to get bored at 2 am. Thanks for any imput
    Also, feel free to share your gardening pics, I would love love love to see them
    We've done a bit of both with our strawberries. We started with seeds indoors about 3 years ago and transplanted some in the ground and left some in the containers. I don't have a green thumb at all- wouldn't know a weed from a useful plant unless I put it there BUT I've noticed that the strawberries need a lot of thinning out every year and the containers get cramped for that reason, so if you leave them in containers, you'll have to be sure to thin them.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I think I got in wayyyyy over my non greenthumb head lol

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Perfect day here for planting...a little overcast and just breezy enough to keep the mosquitoes at bay. We didn't get a chance to garden last year as we had recently moved but, I'm really excited to finally get at it. Today, I planted summer squash, zucchini, cantaloupe, watermelon, and pumpkin seeds. We get out earth for another garden tomorrow...can't wait!

bdogsmom, we start most of our plants from heirloom seeds as well. May I ask where you get yours from? I'm always looking for new, interesting things to plant.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by recessionisnotfun View Post
    awwww, that is so sweet. What's the matter mid, don't want to keep buying new plants everyday lol.

well..about two weeks ago when we were visiting my mom i looked away for all of 1.5 min to grab the bags out of the back of the car and sure enough.. little miss toodle butt popped the heads off of ALL the tulips! and they hadn't even bloomed yet!
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I have one of my front beds partially planted with annuals. The irises I transplanted from my Grampa's homestead last year are up but no sign of blossoms yet. Also six planters in the front with annuals.
    The other front bed will be hosting tomatoes and cucumbers this year just to mix things up. I planted my raised veggie beds today, fingerling carrots, nantes carrots (strong top), golden beets and red beets (my fav), bunch onions and winter onions, garlic, three kinds of hot peppers, two kinds of lettuce, and dill.
    In the ground we still need to plant our spuds and peas. My rhubarb is getting big (also from the homestead garden). Also going to plant some lavender along the chainlink fence. I hope to get some more beds built too for sunflowers and sweet peas, and some edible flowers (in the main garden area). And I would love to build a bed for a shade garden on the north side of the house. I cleaned up my strawberries yesterday, and DH mowed today. Love spring!!

Pics soon
    http://superpoints.com/refer/hockeymomma
    Click here to join me at Superpoints and get free Amazon GCs!!

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I'm sitting here watching the rain today

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Only rained here in the morning really, so I was able to get back and do some more.
    Still tired out from yesterday, but managed to plant 2 urns and some annuals so far. Just got to clean up the freakin mess I made and put everything away and call it a day! Its supposed to rain all day tomorrow
    Do you want to buy and sell Bitcoin? Sign up for Ndax to buy and sell bitcoin in Canada. Other altcoins available on the platform too! Quick, simple and secure.!. Have a look around. https://one.ndax.io/bfQb65

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

It is really tiring isn't it? I had no clue, it looks easy dirt and seeds lol, but when ya do it all day...zzzzz lol

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

Hubbys got most of my raised planters built, just the huge potato one left wooo hoooo, now to find cheap dirt lol
    Last edited by recessionisnotfun; Sun, May 22nd, 2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: tired can't spell

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Iris, anyone have some advice?

I have a bed of these that came with our house, tall, beautiful purple irises. They fall over if we get bad rain or wind after they bloom.

Problem is, I get very few blooms anymore. I dug out some of the middle last year, thinking that the rhizomes (is that right?) were overcrowded and that would help. So far doesn't look like it helped. Maybe there's too much dirt on top of the roots?

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Yaa! will be planting tomatoes, so I can make some homemade salsa. I do not think I will plant flowers this year. I think I am just going to plant herbs and vegetables.
    Last edited by freshvintage; Sun, May 22nd, 2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information