User Tag List

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Anyone else Planting gardens/flowers?

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by recessionisnotfun View Post
    Oh forgot to ask, I got my hand on 50 strawberry plants, can they be planted in pots or should they go in the ground? I just worry neighbour kids will raid them. We live in a tiny town and they tend to get bored at 2 am. Thanks for any imput
    Also, feel free to share your gardening pics, I would love love love to see them
    Everyone I know has said that strawberries tend to take over your grass if you plant them in the ground. I planted one of mine in a hanging pot and the other in a patio pot. I'm not sure if you'll need to worry about the neighbour's kids more than the bunnies and squirrels which looooove to eat strawberries. My one friend said a squirrel ate half of every strawberry so the entire batch was inedible. Poor thing.

Three plants failed to bloom this year so I'm pretty disappointed. One was my anniversary gift and fairly expensive, so that was a huge letdown.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

My husband just finished making me 2 waist high beds for my strawberries, so maybe that will help lol. Those ones are in my fenced in back yard.
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

I'm Delicious TheOriginalTruffles's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I've done all the annuals, plus 2 blueberries, 2 raspberries, 1 chokeberry, and a couple of Costco pots of strawberries. I planted the berry bushes in my front garden up against the house so they are more protected in the winter. The strawberries were planted in a edged corner in the backyard by the apple tree. I'm excited to see blossoms on my apple trees (they were planted last year). I might get a pie or two worth of apples this year.

In the back gardens (I have 3 raised beds and 2 slightly-raised corner beds) I planted 8 tomatoes and 4 broccoli.

Tomorrow, I will seed in the back gardens: bok choy, parsnip, 2 varieties of carrots, spinach, 2 varieties of lettuce, bush beans, beets, pickling cukes, slicing cukes, green onions, yellow zucchini, spaghetti squash, pattypan squash, peas, snow peas, dill, basil, tarragon, and parsley. In the front garden, I will seed knee-high sweet peas and climbing sweet peas.

I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow night. It's a good thing I got a good deal on Tylenol Body Pain Night at LD on Saturday.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

My goodness! Just reading through the posts and some of you are really avid gardeners!

I think I will enjoy gardening more once (a) we have a place of our own and (b) the children are in school. Right now I find it so hard to go out and plant things because the kids are all over the place and in the garden and if I wait for them to go to bed then it's too dark, etc. SO for now I am just focusing on planting some flowers in the front, there is a garden there with some purple lilies growing from a previous tenant, but there is a big bare patch in the middle. I have a bunch of different flower seeds so I think I'll try to get out there today and plant those in, should be past danger of frost now, and if it does get cold I'll just cover them up.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalTruffles View Post
    I've done all the annuals, plus 2 blueberries, 2 raspberries, 1 chokeberry, and a couple of Costco pots of strawberries. I planted the berry bushes in my front garden up against the house so they are more protected in the winter. The strawberries were planted in a edged corner in the backyard by the apple tree. I'm excited to see blossoms on my apple trees (they were planted last year). I might get a pie or two worth of apples this year.

In the back gardens (I have 3 raised beds and 2 slightly-raised corner beds) I planted 8 tomatoes and 4 broccoli.

Tomorrow, I will seed in the back gardens: bok choy, parsnip, 2 varieties of carrots, spinach, 2 varieties of lettuce, bush beans, beets, pickling cukes, slicing cukes, green onions, yellow zucchini, spaghetti squash, pattypan squash, peas, snow peas, dill, basil, tarragon, and parsley. In the front garden, I will seed knee-high sweet peas and climbing sweet peas.

I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow night. It's a good thing I got a good deal on Tylenol Body Pain Night at LD on Saturday.
    Awesome! So much work!; can I visit at harvest time?

Lua
    Female
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

got all of mine planted on friday!!
    photos here: http://startingoutfit.wordpress.com/...garden-week-1/
    Join SWAGBUCKS! Get free amazon $!!!
    My Blog: http://mypinkthumb.com

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Looking good, Lua.

I finished the back garden with what I described upthread but added a third type of lettuce and some corn, too. I don't know if the corn will come up as it is old seed. We'll see. If not, I'll plant some more bok choy (love that stuff).

I still have to plant the sweet peas in the front garden but my back said they could wait.

Oh, and Natalka, you are welcome anytime.
    Last edited by TheOriginalTruffles; Tue, May 24th, 2011 at 10:35 AM.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

GREAT pics Lua!!!! Thanks for sharing
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I was really hoping to see some pink Lily of the Valley this year. Nope, just green leaves. The white ones are doing well, but I was hoping to see just one pink one, just so I know it's there. It's okay though. It's green.

I am in super sulk mode over my peony that didn't grow. All the days pouring over peony pictures to choose the perfect shade of pink, in the perfect shade, with the perfect shape. Then, DH and I drove 2.5 hours east to pick it up, so it wouldn't get damaged in the mail and 2.5 hours back (have you seen gas prices lately?!). All to have it culminate in not growing. Also, the seller doesn't carry it any more so I can't try again. :'(

I know I'm being overly dramatic. I had high hopes for that plant though. Has anyone else had a big letdown in their garden this year?

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Has anyone else had a big letdown in their garden this year?
    One of my cherry trees is terribly sad looking this spring. We had so much snow this year that the jack rabbits were able to reach the bottom third of branches. They really did a number on the tree.

The branches have 1-3 leaf clusters so I'm hoping that they will come back in a year or two. Next winter, if the snow gets too high again, I'm going to throw up some chicken wire around the tree.

I wish I knew how to trap. I'd toss those rabbits in my stew pot in a New York minute.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I didn't get to plant my garden yet too much rain here, it's been raining the last 4 days, and 3 more to go I hid my flowers I potted so they wouln't drown, poor things. All my garden stuff is still in cups. I'm sure glad I didn't plant them before this rain, there would be nothing left.
    Sweet sparrow, you're not being dramatic at all, when ya have yer heart set on something, spend the time and gas and it doesn't work out it is very disheartening. Sorry to hear that.
    Truffles, sorry as well to hear about your tree. It should come back from what you have said, don't lose hope yet

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No , i dun have interst in planting , but my mother has lot of intrest in planting or gardening........

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I got some done, some lillies, oriental and asiatic and then just a few annuals. Have lots more to buy/do. I try to spend about $100 a year on perennials, so I've slowly been building up my gardens over the past 6 years.

... if it weren't for those peskly squirrels.....

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I potted 12 pink and white Gerbers (I think lol) along my balcony and I want to start growing a tomatoe plant, my mom does every year and there fantastic!

Smart Canuck GottaLoveFreeebies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I planted all my veggies other than tomatos and peppers and brocoli. It keeps freezing here at night still!!! maybe tomorrow. MY lettuce is poking up today! Cannot wait! I bought my transplants and some perrenials yesterday using our local dealfind deal!!! $20 for $50 at a greenhouse!!! Bought 3 and so far used 2!!!! They were out of peppers and will go back once I decide what I need still!!!

I have irises and jumping jacks in bloom!!! love it!!! And FINALLY my shade garden looks have decent!!! Need to grab a few more colorful perennials for that area -just need to figure out what! Also picked up a garden gnome bird bath yesterday!

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information