User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Stupid Social Services

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I'm so glad u stepped up to help that woman. She clearly needed it. I must say I was a little offended of the word you chose to describ her. Developmentally delayed would have sat better with me. But at least she has help now because of you.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I appreciate your sentiment, and your worry for this poor lady's situation, but the "r" word is not okay to use anymore, it is equivalent to calling a dark-skinned person the "n" word. There are even public service commercials about it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y5hLlXnAOQ

I know it used to be a common word, but just a heads up that it can be seen as a really bad word.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Caelinsmomma View Post
    I appreciate your sentiment, and your worry for this poor lady's situation, but the "r" word is not okay to use anymore, it is equivalent to calling a dark-skinned person the "n" word. There are even public service commercials about it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y5hLlXnAOQ

I know it used to be a common word, but just a heads up that it can be seen as a really bad word.

My son went in for some genetic testing 2 years ago at a large Childrens Hospital in Ontario.

On the requisition form it actually had a category for testing called "Mental R'ardation".

I found it interesting at the time that how it is so commonly unacceptable to use the term because people are so offended by it, however it is (well was, I do not know if it is still) still a term that is used on requisition forms.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by peachies View Post
    I'm so glad u stepped up to help that woman. She clearly needed it. I must say I was a little offended of the word you chose to describ her. Developmentally delayed would have sat better with me. But at least she has help now because of you.
    Oh. I did not know that.

I guess in 16 years the PC creeps will call 'Developmentally delayed' offensive and replace it with something new.

Sorry if anyone thought that was an ugly term.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

the thing is that certain accurately descriptive words are turned into slurs and then considered inappropriate because of that.

then a new descriptive word is used, and that is turned negative, so it is back to the books for a new word to use.

it's never ending. the R word is shocking to most ppl these days, but when used in it's original context it was simply a description of the state of developement.

no worries, i am sure most ppl reading realized you were not using it as a slur.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Oh. I did not know that.

I guess in 16 years the PC creeps will call 'Developmentally delayed' offensive and replace it with something new.

Sorry if anyone thought that was an ugly term.
    I understand you weren't using it as a slur or to be rude...and your probably right, it seems every word becomes offensive at some point.
    vesper likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post

Sorry Vesper...but "PC creeps"...when did people wanting to be called the words they choose to describe themselves as being creepy??

All i want is for people to understand I'm the Supreme Ebilness Her Magestic Penguiness The Overlady of Spheniscinae and Cool Kid and not some random pretender to the throne.
    emg and vesper like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Sorry Vesper...but "PC creeps"...when did people wanting to be called the words they choose to describe themselves as being creepy??

All i want is for people to understand I'm the Supreme Ebilness Her Magestic Penguiness The Overlady of Spheniscinae and Cool Kid and not some random pretender to the throne.
    Sorry your imperial majesty .. but when I was in high school PC creeps tried to ban school from keeping score during games because score keeping was considered offensive. They tried to rename 'Easter Egg' 'Spring Sphere' among other things. PC Creeps are creepy.

Folks with mental ation are 'Free People' if you wanted to ask me. There are not delayed, we are.

I respect your opinion as a Arctic Light & Dark Grey Flapping Bird however (as I bow on one knee).
    abbasgirl, karma33, emg and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

vesper likes this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just heard the lady is back in the area, but at a government run apartment building or something like that. I'm very pleased. Going to buy her a few hats, because I was told she adores hats!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    My son went in for some genetic testing 2 years ago at a large Childrens Hospital in Ontario.

On the requisition form it actually had a category for testing called "Mental R'ardation".

I found it interesting at the time that how it is so commonly unacceptable to use the term because people are so offended by it, however it is (well was, I do not know if it is still) still a term that is used on requisition forms.
    It's still used as a medical term - especially in the States.
    I've been working with people with disablilities for a long time. The "right" words can be very confusing, especially if they keep changing. As a general rule, I especially just try to put the person first instead of their disability when referring to them (eg. "child with autism/man with schizophrenia" instead of "autistic child/schizophrenic man"...or worse just "autistic/schizophrenic").
    But while words are important, it's really the attitude behind them that makes them offensive or not. Clearly Vesper was treating this woman with dignity and respect. So keep up the good work!
    Last edited by abbasgirl; Thu, Mar 7th, 2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typo

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Good going Vesper, that was real good of you not to turn your back on that situation ,to help a person in need and we all get to learn from it also.

Bronwen and vesper like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

UPDATE:
    This guy had been arrested and I'm told will plead guilty this Thursday to domestic assault, and because he is currently serving a suspended sentence for an unrelated charge, and has both summary and indictable convictions, it is expected the judge will impose a sentence that should see him remanded for a few months! Yahoo!!

No idea what happened to the lady, she does not live around here anymore.

p.s. I am still gone from here, just wanted to update folks on this. Bye again!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Thanks for the update, vesper...

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information