User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Went to Target opening in Milton today.....it sucks.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Target did not buy zellers.

HBC shut down zellers.
    GeorgiaK and Briwantstosave like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Yusshin View Post
    Agree. From what I heard, Target forced Zellers staff of all levels to resubmit their resumes for hire. The Orillia location (from what my sister told me) doesn't have any of the old Zellers staff there; none were hired! which is why some people (who think that it's unfair for a tycoon to come and fire everyone) won't shop there too, because Target didn't favour Zeller employees for rehire.
    If you were to buy the lease from, let's say, a clothing store that was closing down, would you feel obligated to hire all of the old store's employees? Or would you start with a fresh, new look and hire employees based on your own store's needs and sales/service philosphy? I'm just saying this because I feel that Target's hiring process is being unfairly portrayed. Just because they bought some leases doesn't mean they should be stuck with whoever worked in the previous business. If I were hiring, I would make sure I favoured the best available candidates in order to ensure the success of my business.

Target had no obligation to Zellers' employees....they didn't take over or buy Zellers. The fact that they welcomed resumes from Zellers staff could actually be looked at as a positive. If people are looking for someone to blame for out of work Zellers employees, it's HBC who made that happen.
    Last edited by DianneS; Fri, Mar 29th, 2013 at 05:11 PM.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
    If you were to buy the lease from, let's say, a clothing store that was closing down, would you feel obligated to hire all of the old store's employees? Or would you start with a fresh, new look and hire employees based on your own store's needs and sales/service philosphy? I'm just saying this because I feel that Target's hiring process is being unfairly portrayed. Just because they bought some leases doesn't mean they should be stuck with whoever worked in the previous business. If I were hiring, I would make sure I favoured the best available candidates in order to ensure the success of my business.

Target had no obligation to Zellers' employees....they didn't take over or buy Zellers. The fact that they welcomed resumes from Zellers staff could actually be looked at as a positive. If people are looking for someone to blame for out of work Zellers employees, it's HBC who made that happen.
    Oh, yeah, I'm not for or against anything. I was just stating what some people told me (when I worked at Walmart) as to why they're not going to shop at Target at the Orillia Square Mall.

I'd want the best candidates, too. It kinda sucks that Zeller employees lost their benefits and, for some, 10-20 years of dedication to the company, but $hit happens. When I was a kid, Zellers was amazing - it was the place to go! - until Walmart came and within a year or two, Zellers was deserted. Then Walmart became a Super Centre and it all went to Hell for them lol the employees should've "felt" something at that point about their job security.

If I had a choice between a fresh-out-of-HS, happy, motivated 18/19-year-old and an old Zellers employee (who may or may not feel "cheated" or "entitled" to benefits due to having "earned" them through service with HBC/Zellers), I'd pick the one who would best represent my company and its values. If that's an old Zeller employee, OK, but if not, that's OK, too. Target has no obligation to do HBC employees any favours; however, it might've looked good on them if they had at least publicly announced some consideration for the job loss @ Zellers. I'm not sure if they did or not (even just something simple as "Target will welcome all applications by HBC employees and consider them for rehire").

Regardless if they did or not, they still have no obligation to auto-rehire HBC employees. Like I said, though, I heard a lot of people (pre-opened @ OSMall) bashing Target simply because they weren't going to favour rehiring HBC employees. I think if the HBC employees deserve the position and Target feels they'll positively affect their coming into Canada, then they'll be rehired anyway \0/ I just hope any rehires don't get all grumpy because they hafta start new with low wage (not sure if Zellers gave raises) and no benefits from day one.
    tjthemanto and momof3heathens like this.
    Because of fake prints, stacking manus is no longer allowed
    But you can still stack Coupon Zone + 1x Manu, like other Maxi / Loblaw Stores
    Did You Like Our Service? Make Sure To Submit A Comment Sheet At Our Store!
    Comment Box is located beside the Coin Star Machine.
    Help Me/Us Earn an "A" For Customer Service!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Apparently Walmart employees were favoured for hire at Target. If you were an employee at Walmart and you were willing to switch over to Target, they were apparently going to increase their pay, as well. I heard minimum wage at Target is $12 to begin with; don't know if that's true or not.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Baggravation View Post
    Apparently Walmart employees were favoured for hire at Target. If you were an employee at Walmart and you were willing to switch over to Target, they were apparently going to increase their pay, as well. I heard minimum wage at Target is $12 to begin with; don't know if that's true or not.
    Maybe a scheme to draw in customers, because some people like to go by certain cashiers + new cashier family would shop there instead of Walmart... Sounds smart to me Walmart being the biggest competition 'n all.
    Because of fake prints, stacking manus is no longer allowed
    But you can still stack Coupon Zone + 1x Manu, like other Maxi / Loblaw Stores
    Did You Like Our Service? Make Sure To Submit A Comment Sheet At Our Store!
    Comment Box is located beside the Coin Star Machine.
    Help Me/Us Earn an "A" For Customer Service!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Ventured into Burlington Mall's Target store through the Guelph Line entrance. Carpet squares are still off-gassing; nice seeing the Starbucks shop to the left of the entrance-bonus points for two water fountains just past the coffee shop (muggy day!). Store map holder was there too-well, pictograms have replaced words on the map which is mostly red with tiny logos for departments, if you can match the left legend logo to corresponding one on map. Took me over two minutes to figure out grocery (two bags of varying sizes) section was represented by the red wall along Prospect St. Checkout lanes by those doors (Guelph Line parking lot); compare to the narrow "tunnel" of red leading into the mall (two other doors have been walled up along the Prospect St. side where freezers/fridges are located. That tunnel has a high ceiling, three self-checkout scanners on one side with high overhead LED lights somewhat dimly giving some illumination. Carts lined up against other side of tunnel with observant Target staffer on duty.

Found Bath section readily. Overhead signage is red with white lettering-that darn lighting... shadows in areas of the store. How do the staff manage (since most seem just out of high school or in their 20s)?

All floor staff are either touting some kind of mobile device that links into the PA system or an inventory checking device (constant beeping). Seemed there were more staff on duty than customers. The store lighting seems dim in spots. Not a fan-reminds me of Zellers' wind-powered lighting fluctuations...

I spent maybe 10 minutes before I heard the mall call me to have a look elsewhere. Rating out of 10-7.5 for now. Next time, I'll make a list of flyer items of interest and see how easy it is to find them.

I see the store fixtures being similiar to Zellers. However, Target has just enough stock on shelves to fill them without the heaps we have associated with Zellers. Target is the neat store.

Shower curtain assortment-Threshold has some more colour in its assortment than the neutrals one tends to see at Walmart. $21.94 for shower curtains; $14 and change for shower liner in solid neutral/white. There is a clear vinyl shower curtain with colourful lettering for subway stops (London Tube stations) as well on the display.
    Reg. Coke 2L bottles with polar bears/old lettering-PIN caps-if you want to buy the pop at $2.29. Diet Coke bottles with new lettering/graphics-no PIN caps.
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Apr 30th, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

RE: Zellers employees - Target set up a hiring website just for old Zellers employees. They can sign up in advance for the job fairs on there, find positions etc. I think Target has been more than fair to us.
    cmontario and Briwantstosave like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Second visit last weekend (first visit was on first day).... SO MUCH improved. Lots more stock and selection... It's getting better.
    Ciel and Baggravation like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live close to the border and just go to Target in the US, much cheaper prices.
    Poirot likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    89 (100%)

US is a buyers market as a result of minimum wage and other factors. This leads to lower prices. In realty, we really would not want this here. I would rather have my neighbor making a reasonable wage (which really isnt that reasonable) over getting items dirt cheap, as in the states Targets
    anisa, GoJays, xox2010 and 2 others like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by nichols View Post
    US is a buyers market as a result of minimum wage and other factors. This leads to lower prices. In realty, we really would not want this here. I would rather have my neighbor making a reasonable wage (which really isnt that reasonable) over getting items dirt cheap, as in the states Targets
    Your comment put a HUGE smile on my face
    anisa and mhmartel like this.

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

... Our Target location (not open until August) did offer previous Zellers employees the option to apply before others. They did not hire all of them, of course, but they did hire some "older" employees who had been at Zellers for a long time. They do not want people to confuse Target with Zellers and did not want the same service Zellers gave. Only the best got through.
    anisa likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information