User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Totter
  • 1 Post By PurpleBunny89

Thread: Canadian tire Battery Scam

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought a new top quality car battery from Canadian Tire for my Ford Explorer. It came with a "Best in the business" warrantee that was for about 5 years. Turns out the the warrantee is only good for 2 years and after that they prorate the thing. So the battery cost about $135 before taxes. It crapped out and wouldn't hold a charge for more than 2 days. Thankfully this happened just before the 2 year 'free' period elapsed. But I still had to argue with the guy and eventually get the manager involved to get a new battery. They tried to charge me $85, then $65, then they just wanted me to go away so they gave it to me. They claimed that the battery was still on the edge of being good. I was outraged but also thankful at the same time.

Right away I started having problems. The Ford kept dying after a week or so of being parked. So, knowing the problem could no longer be the battery, I took it to an Auto-electric place. They tried and tried to find a problem but the only thing they could come up with was that it was the battery. "Not so," I said. "It's brand new". So eventually they took it out and just let it sit on the bench unconnected. Within a week it was completely dead. I was on holidays while all this was going on so 2 months passed since I picked up the "new" battery. I then went to the Auto-Electric place and took my battery back to Canadian Tire for a replacement, thinking there should be no problem.

Well! They tested my battery and pronounced it completely useless. I presented them with my warranty and they brought me a battery, along with a bill for $65. They said I was now past the 'Free Replacement' period. I said if I had been given a battery that was actually good 2 months ago I wouldn't be here now so they should backdate the claim to that date and give me the battery free of charge. They said they had no control over policy, that being controlled by Toronto headquarters. I thought they were all independently owned. Anyway, I gave up trying to get them to see the logic in my claim and walked out. I'll get a Delco battery from the Auto-Electric place instead.

I give up on Canadian Tire. They treated me like crap and I'm not going back. People call it Crappy Tire for a reason I guess.
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire, Guess

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

FYI - the Costco Kirkland brand car batteries get great reviews and they are a LOT cheaper than anything comparable. I have heard a lot of bad things about Cdn Tire batteries.
    oscarandme likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought a new top quality car battery from Canadian Tire for my Ford Explorer. It came with a "Best in the business" warrantee that was for about 5 years. Turns out the the warrantee is only good for 2 years and after that they prorate the thing. So the battery cost about $135 before taxes. It crapped out and wouldn't hold a charge for more than 2 days. Thankfully this happened just before the 2 year 'free' period elapsed. But I still had to argue with the guy and eventually get the manager involved to get a new battery. They tried to charge me $85, then $65, then they just wanted me to go away so they gave it to me. They claimed that the battery was still on the edge of being good. I was outraged but also thankful at the same time.

Right away I started having problems. The Ford kept dying after a week or so of being parked. So, knowing the problem could no longer be the battery, I took it to an Auto-electric place. They tried and tried to find a problem but the only thing they could come up with was that it was the battery. "Not so," I said. "It's brand new". So eventually they took it out and just let it sit on the bench unconnected. Within a week it was completely dead. I was on holidays while all this was going on so 2 months passed since I picked up the "new" battery. I then went to the Auto-Electric place and took my battery back to Canadian Tire for a replacement, thinking there should be no problem.

Well! They tested my battery and pronounced it completely useless. I presented them with my warranty and they brought me a battery, along with a bill for $65. They said I was now past the 'Free Replacement' period. I said if I had been given a battery that was actually good 2 months ago I wouldn't be here now so they should backdate the claim to that date and give me the battery free of charge. They said they had no control over policy, that being controlled by Toronto headquarters. I thought they were all independently owned. Anyway, I gave up trying to get them to see the logic in my claim and walked out. I'll get a Delco battery from the Auto-Electric place instead.

I give up on Canadian Tire. They treated me like crap and I'm not going back. People call it Crappy Tire for a reason I guess.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

We had a somewhat alike experience with a Canadian Tire battery, not as drama laden, but my husband said he won't buy them anymore either. We went to Walmart.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I see you are new to the forum. Welcome to Smart Canucks.
    I am having a moment of deja vu.
    I think I read this thread already
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/345053-...y-scam-canada/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We had battery problems with them as well. My son is a very persistent person and does not back down, so we did get a free replacement.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I think this should be in the rant section, not the brag section.

I also think you should contact head office about this. In my opinion if you were given a new battery to replace the old one then you should of been given a new warranty on the new battery as well.
    oscarandme likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Thanks for the warning...I will steer clear of Crappy Tire! Have you taken this up with HQ? I would not let this go lightly
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Thread Information