User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CaToonie
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Hi to all in my hometown,

I will be in Edmonton in June visiting relatives. I was just wondering if anyone on SC can tell me where the best thrift stores are in Edmonton.

Thanks all,

Wendy
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

My mom goes to Value Village on 34 Ave and approximately 99 st?? (just east of Gateway Blvd). It's on the southside of 34 Ave.

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

The value village just moved on the west end to mayfield common at stony plain road and 170 street. I love Value Village!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Thanks Ladies,
    In Kamloops, we have 7 church thrift stores that have really good prices. Is there any that anyone knows of in Edmonton. I have not lived in Edmonton since I moved to Kamloops 20 years ago. I do miss Edmonton and try to visit every 2nd year.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The value village on 137th ave just before fort rd is a really great one.

Trading Score
    108 (100%)

There is a bunch of thrift stores in the westend that I like to hit.
    There is an MCC on Stoney Plain at 15311 Stony Plain Rd (this is where I park)
    Across the street and down a little bit is the Bible for Missions Thrift Store at 15222 Stony Plain Rd
    A little ways down Stoney Plain across from the IGA is the Harbour for Life which is sold by the pound at 15501
    Then I drive over to the Goodwill which is also just a few minutes down stoney plain rd at 10004 169 St NW
    Then to the new Value Village in Mayfield Common which is back across Stoney Plain Rd at 204 Mayfield Common

Here's a link to the locations on Google http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...1&ie=UTF8&z=15
    Last edited by mvandekuyt; Sun, May 29th, 2011 at 06:18 PM.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I vote for the stoney Plain Goodwill. I find Value Village too expensive and they are for profit so you get charged tax. The MCC on Stoney Plain is also well priced. Value Village has good selection but is quite a bit more expensive, you get charged tax, and most of the money goes into private hands.

Trading Score
    108 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysdaddysgirl View Post
    I vote for the stoney Plain Goodwill. I find Value Village too expensive and they are for profit so you get charged tax. The MCC on Stoney Plain is also well priced. Value Village has good selection but is quite a bit more expensive, you get charged tax, and most of the money goes into private hands.
    Agreed. I get my best finds from Goodwill and the Harbour for Life store.
    I'm no longer couponing and my dogs have passed away. I can't figure out how to delete my profile. Sorry for the inconvenience.

K4Q
    Female
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

the. Bissell Hope Mission thrift store way on the southside is my favorite. I don't know the address offhand, but it on Elwood Drive west off 91 street.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Hi again,

Thanks for the info ladies. The last time I was in Edmonton I only made it to 1 Value Village and I was sad.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Don't forget the Salvation Army thrift store, on 111 ave, and 145 st, just a few blocks east of the Wholesale Club. Good Luck!

Trading Score
    108 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coolmum95 View Post
    Don't forget the Salvation Army thrift store, on 111 ave, and 145 st, just a few blocks east of the Wholesale Club. Good Luck!
    Definitely - I live right there so that is a great one to start at and not far from Stoney Plain!
    I'm no longer couponing and my dogs have passed away. I can't figure out how to delete my profile. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Wow! Thanks for this helpful topic!
    I'm actually in Edmonton right now, in the process of house hunting and pre-relocating. Might be worth it to take a gander around some thrift stores and see what's available.

Any thoughts on costs of small storage units in the area? OR the best ones? We need to buy lots of furniture and stuff to reno the house and it might be worth it to pick up a few things in advance if the price is right..

Thanks everyone!

I'm Delicious TheOriginalTruffles's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Storage units are very costly in Edmonton. Edmonton is truly the Gateway to the North and storage is at a premium because of all the oil patch workers. At one point we were paying over $200+/month for one. Any savings you find on furniture will quickly disappear in the storage rental fees.

ETA: I'm from Victoria, too. :D

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

KK! Thanks for the idea of costs!
    Might be better just to get an idea of what sorts of used furniture options there are out here for now..and whether we're better in the next couple months to pick up furniture used in Victoria and the Interior of BC and add to the cost of moving if we need it right away, or we can essentially store it and move it free (family with cube vans) in October from the Interior.

Sorry! Just thinking out loud (in writing )

How do you like Edmonton after moving from Victoria? I've lived in Victoria for 5 years and now we're thinking we'll be in Edmonton for 5 at least..

I realize it's cold-I grew up in Winnipeg and I know acclimatization will be tough...but other than the cold! Lol. It seems there's lots to do in terms of bowling, arcades, comedy clubs, etc.-all of which Victoria doesn't have and would definitely be nice.

Sorry to hijack this thread! I'm still interested in thrift stores and any liquidated furniture type stores, btw!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information