User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Practical experience with rainbarrels in Toronto area?

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I am trying to figure out if having a rainbarrel is worth the trouble in terms of actual rain collection through the summer in the Toronto area.

I can get a 200'ish litre barrel for about $55 from the city, i believe. So the actual cost is not an issue.

I am curious about what people in the area have experienced in terms of rain collection.
    - does a standard size barrel ever fill right up to the top during watering season?
    - or will i be so successful at collecting rain that i should not have one, but two barrels?

what are some realistic expectations?

thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I am north of Toronto and my grandparents always had rain barrels as long as I can remember to water their gardens, plus it helps that we sell them at work so of course Opa had to test them before we could sell them to anyone.

In the last few years depending on the year they have some years are great the barrels are always over flowing but other years they were always dry. It really does depend on the year.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

anisa!

I wish I could contribute. I will look forward to replies because we received one free from a neighbour and have not had the chance to set it up in the appropriate place to access the garden and landscaping. I do not know the size, It is somewhat big. That'sall I know and would probably need some patio stones under it to stabalize it. Need to talk to DH about it.
    improperganda likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

thank you braggravation

oscarandme... perhaps i will get one and see how it goes. i have a postage stamp sized front yard... i honestly do not need much to water it LOL
    improperganda and PammieD like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

We went cheap. We use a Rubbermaid garbage can, with the lid turned upside down. When the rain stops, the lid goes right side up. Last year, we watered with the Rubbermaid for the whole summer. We had most of our plants in pots. This year there will be veggies so may or may not work.
    Rubbermaid cost $9 on sale at Zellers (reg. $16)

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

^ well isn't that interesting!

did you put in a spout or just scoop up water with a watering can?
    i am guessing you would have cut a hole in the lid. did you cover it with mesh for mosquitos?
    is there a specific reason you turn the lid right side up after the rain has stopped? this wouldn't work for me, i am too forgetful! suggestions?
    improperganda and Shwa Girl like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    ^ well isn't that interesting!

did you put in a spout or just scoop up water with a watering can?
    i am guessing you would have cut a hole in the lid. did you cover it with mesh for mosquitos?
    is there a specific reason you turn the lid right side up after the rain has stopped? this wouldn't work for me, i am too forgetful! suggestions?
    We have a Rubbermaid jug to scoop the water. The jug has a spout so it's easy to water with, and easy to mix plant food in the jug.

We turn the lid right side up in case any animals are attracted to the water. The neighbour's cat uses our backyard as his own, so we wouldn't want to find him in the water.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

^ thanks

yeah, i did not think of creatures.
    R

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

awesome ideas. I've been wanted to get one for my house (well my parents house lol). I want to convince my father its a good thing and by good thing I mean saving $$ lol. Is it hard to hook one up? I (aka my friend) will prob end up setting it up ourselves. I'm okay at building things but im a 24yr girl so Im not sure I could do it. lol
    anisa likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Go for it!Just check out youtube videos for ideas and how-tos.Don't think you can't do it just because you're "a 24 year old girl".Guys aren't born with automatic tool using super powers -everyone has to learn somehow
    Giseledta, anisa and improperganda like this.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

lol Im not saying im some wimp but realistically Im pretty sure I couldnt do it all by myself. But I will be def looking at some youtube vids.
    itsmewhoelse likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Rubbermaid plastic garbage can (aka cheapo "rain barrel" is outside ready for the first rain. We are supposed to get some rain on Saturday
    anisa and improperganda like this.

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

I'm from Toronto and installed a rain barrel last year and it filled up pretty quickly and constantly when rain fell, we have it connected to the downspout that comes from the roof and a diverter that sends the water back down the spout once it senses the barrel is full.
    anisa and improperganda like this.
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

depending on the size of your roof and how much of it is serviced by the downspout you will use to fill your rain barrel will determine if one barrel is enough. at my house i have 3 on the go. one gets filled from the garden shed roof, one is filled by the back porch roof and the third gets overfilled by the side of the house roof. it doesnt take much rain to fill a 200L barrel.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

^ i didn't even think of the shed. thank you!
    R

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information