User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Looking for Opinions on ING

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    120 (100%)

i'm considering opening an account but i just don't feel confident enough.
    i know you need cheques from another bank in order to open an account.
    i wish this wasn't the case, as i would need to order 100 cheques just to close my current account and make the switch.

but if it was worth it, i might be convinced to go for it.
    any input would be helpful and appreciated.

EDIT:
    i've been reading that they were bought by capitol one which kind of scares me!
    if anyone knows of another bank that gives you no fee banking without a specific balance, that would also be helpful!

thanks!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by anawhatsme; Mon, Mar 25th, 2013 at 11:35 AM.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

PC is no fee and they're in lots of the Atlantic Superstores.
    I don't use their services, so I cannot vouch for them.
    walkonby likes this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    120 (100%)

thanks alicia.
    i don't know anything about them either.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anawhatsme View Post
    i wish this wasn't the case, as i would need to order 100 cheques just to close my current account and make the switch.

EDIT:
    if anyone knows of another bank that gives you no fee banking without a specific balance, that would also be helpful!

thanks!!
    OP, where are you located?

ING USA was bought by Capital One
    ING Direct Canada was bought by Bank of Nova Scotia

President's Choice Financial is run through CIBC.
    You can also look at Canadian Tire Financial.

Look at ING, PC, Canadian Tire Financial and there are a e a few others. Compare your bank needs and then you can make your choice.
    walkonby likes this.

~LC
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have ING banking and I find them very good. I don't believe you need a cheque to start an account. I remember signing up online and then as long as you have the bank transit number, institution number and account number (which is normally found on a cheque, but you can also call your bank and find out, or it is also usually located on direct deposit forms) you can transfer money from your old account into your ING account. It takes about 2 days to transfer the money. I used to have PC which was also good, but there are not many CIBC branches that are close to my work/home. With ING you can withdraw money from any credit union, which I find convenient as I have a First Ontario Union by my office and a Meridian Credit Union close to my home. For the first three months or so, they hold any cheques you deposit for a few days, but after you "prove yourself" they allow you to access the funds immedietly. No complaints with ING
    lucy16076 and Shirnette like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anawhatsme View Post

EDIT:

thanks!!
    Hi there,

I had some doubts about switching to ING to be my main banking account, mainly because I had to switch my loan payment over and a couple other payments as well. I switched to ING in October 2011 and it was really simple. Yes I had to send in a cheque for $100 to officially open the account, which also links it to that account (which comes in very handy) but you do get a cash bonus when you open it as well!
    Ask your bank if you can just get one cheque printed off...some banks do that and some don't. I believe it's about $1-$1.50 that way.
    Also, I keep a TD account..the lowest account the $3.95 per month one just to use for when I get cheques or cash to deposit, that way it's not held if you just deposit it straight into your ING account (at a machine). And sometimes you just need to be able to go into a bank for somethings.
    That's why its good to have the accounts linked, to transfer back and forth to avoid waiting for held cheques.
    And it's very simple to find a machine to grab cash, or transfer money and you aren't charged. They have an ABM finder on their phone app and it's usually any credit union machine that you can use.
    I have saved $309.32 in bank fees since I've been a member, those account fees really add up every month!

If you have any other questions, please PM me!
    Shirnette likes this.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

For my day to day spending, I use PC Financial. I have several CIBC atms close to me as well as a Loblaws. I also like the fact that I get PC points just for paying my bills using my PC account. There are no fees and they just recently came out with an iphone app which makes balance transfers and paying bills really easy.

For my savings, I've linked my PC account to my ING direct account. I transfer money directly from my PC account to my ING direct RRSP account. You also get a sign up bonus of about $50 when you deposit your first $100. I believe the savings interest rate is 2.5% for all deposits made until June 30 2013.

I don't pay any fees for using PC or ING which makes me a happy camper.
    PM if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

If you don't have an orange key, please consider using mine.
    40028613S1
    lucy16076 and Shirnette like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Please feel free to use my Orange Key below if you are planning on opening an ING account to take advantage of the 2.5% promo
    Tangerine Orange Key - 34427019S1

Become a new Tangerine client and open a Tangerine Savings, Chequing, TFSA, GIC or RSP account with an initial deposit of $250 or more and use Orange Key - 34427019S1 to earn yourself a free $100 deposit bonus. http://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I opened an ING account about a week ago. On open it requested that i send a cheque in to do a deposit to my thrive account. From my understanding this actually ends up giving my ing account access to my credit union account. And in all honesty I'm not sure i like that. I havent sent the check in as of yet as i'm contemplating my options.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Best to compare the various banks near you for terms of their accounts. Also check what the method is for using the debit card's quick pay features. You might not want to have the feature in use>deactivating the chip means you cannot use the debit card outside of the bank's tellers areas or bank's ATMs.

I had the chip turned off on a card for a joint account (in case parent needed me to do banking) and discovered I could not use the card for debit purchases afterwards by swiping or by inserting the chip end. Besides that card has a $200 limit on quick pay purchases that has to be reset by PIN entry and I don't want extra steps on such cards. Really.

So on my own account, I left the chip alone and have not used any quick pay feature, just the debit and bank card functions.
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Apr 11th, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I can give you an insight on ING, it will obviously be a good one (haha looking at my SC name )

I like ING for the user friendly platform and good service. I opened an account in 2005 and I have never been dissatisfied with them. You have to go to a National bank atm for all your transactions and they have great rates (2.5% at the moment). I keep the external account as well, the account from which you write your first cheque in your own name to open the ING account. The reason why I keep it is in case I need a certified cheque etc. But for regular business I only use ING.

As for the cheques can't you order a 10 or 25 count? Makes no sense to get 100!
    walkonby and Shirnette like this.
    MY ORANGE KEY 16680564S1
    Every time a friend opens a Tangerine Account with $100 or more and uses your Orange Key, you'll both get $25.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I use ING as my everyday account. It is great. There are no fees. I am happy and have had no issues.
    walkonby likes this.
    Sarah T. Bruno
    Mom, Corporate Trainer, Online Entrepreneur and incorrigible smiler
    Learn more about my mission at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sarah...99625710163080

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I've been with them from the get go(lost count of # of yrs).i've never had any issues.You'll need to send a void chq of another ac with a different bank to transfer $.It is very simple.I only have a savings ac now(also had GIC some time ago ) which I barely use though sizeable balance.The interest rate back then was very high...:only thing...they are the 1st every year to send a slip showing interest made to be claimed as income with Rev Canada.I also have reg savings & a tax free savings AC with PC bank....I refuse to pay any unnecessary fees to banks (they make trillions and I'm trying to make that ...The recent sale to Scotiabank seemed seamless as I haven't noticed anything different...:Go open that Ac & keep some money in your wallet.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I use ING for my main chequing account. I have used them a few years now and they have great service and a very user friendly website. The only thing is there are only 5 ABM machines in my city that are linked to their "exchange" network where you can use them with no fees. One is on my route to work so its fairly convenient for me to get to. The only thing I suggest is make sure you keep another bank account at a different bank because if you ever lose your interac card they have to mail you a new one. This has happened to me twice and if I did not still have a TD account I would have had zero access to my money while waiting for a new card in the mail!

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

I have used PC Financial for years as my main bank account with ING as my investment account. I love the situation. PC also allows you to order free cheques and it has no min balance for a fee-free savings account. I also have my mortgage with ING and the kids' savings accounts with them. I am very happy with my banking with them over the last 5 years.
    lucy16076 likes this.
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information