User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Sunshine List

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publicat...sclosure/pssd/

Every year the "Sunshine List" is posted for all to see.

It is a list this year of nearly 90,000 employees, paid via tax dollars, who earn more than $100,000 annually.

I know a few people on the list, they are hard working and well educated individuals that do a great service to the community and are very deserving of their pay cheques, however there are a lot of people on this list who are in positions that I think are GROSSLY overpaid.

I think that it is RIDICULOUS that, for example, Operators (bus/street car/subway car) drivers in Toronto are on this list.
    I know that it is expensive to live in Toronto, but when we have TTC drivers making as much as Police Officers, there is a problem.

A person making $35 an hour working full time, is bringing in about $73,000 a year. How much are some of these people making???

I do not know, I think that a lot of these wages are OUT OF CONTROL.

The list for Hydro One and OPG is 12 pages long...do these two companies really need that many employees making that much money? There are also a lot of people on the list that look like they are related (non-common last names).

I really think that the government needs to be more accountable for this.
    The average person does not make anything close to these wages in the Private Sector.
    This thread is currently associated with: Subway, Via Rail
    Last edited by i_forget; Fri, Mar 29th, 2013 at 07:37 AM.
    xox2010, walkonby and erin9mmm like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A few of the College Professors I had are on this list again. One was a terrible teacher.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I_forget, aren't those TTC employees on that list because of overtime? I know for a fact some guys never turn down the extra shifts JUST for the gravy they can earn doing it. Their regular pay per hour is not $35.00, well I do not think it is that high, it is similar to Police Officers making extra dough guarding construction sites and manning parade routes.
    GeorgiaK and i_forget like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I_forget, aren't those TTC employees on that list because of overtime? I know for a fact some guys never turn down the extra shifts JUST for the gravy they can earn doing it. Their regular pay per hour is not $35.00, well I do not think it is that high, it is similar to Police Officers making extra dough guarding construction sites and manning parade routes.

I looked it up, and from what I can see, it looks like a ttc driver makes about $30 an hour. $30 an hour over 52 weeks on a 40 hour work week is about $62,000.... So to nearly double their wage with overtime, they would have to be working 60 hour work weeks, EVERY WEEK.. That is a lot of overtime. I understand that through the collective bargaining process a lot of these people probably make more than $30 an hour, and I am generalizing, but still....

Screw university, I am moving to Toronto to be a bus driver.
    anisa, walkonby and ticul like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

^^^ ha ha ha , wise career move!

babies teach us acceptance

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    I looked it up, and from what I can see, it looks like a ttc driver makes about $30 an hour. $30 an hour over 52 weeks on a 40 hour work week is about $62,000.... So to nearly double their wage with overtime, they would have to be working 60 hour work weeks, EVERY WEEK.. That is a lot of overtime. I understand that through the collective bargaining process a lot of these people probably make more than $30 an hour, and I am generalizing, but still....

Screw university, I am moving to Toronto to be a bus driver.
    I think they make even more than that here, I know I heard once and I thought it was obscene. Plus you have to work 12 years on night shift before you can move to day shift but then again once you are in you are in for life. Unions pfffft.

Police here start at $60K I think and they ony work 4 days. they are all p.o.'ed because a pilot project whereby they were working 3 day weeks was discontinued under our new temporary ,mayor. Uh yeah 3 day week. WTH?
    anisa and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Some of my college profs, old highschool teachers are on that list. They are all good teachers but 100k+ for each of them is excessive IMO.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    I looked it up, and from what I can see, it looks like a ttc driver makes about $30 an hour.
    According to the TTC website, "As per the Local 113 ATU Collective Agreement, the starting hourly wage rate for this position is $23.59 (rate after successful completion of training)."

http://www.ttc.ca/Jobs/transit_opera...ecruitment.jsp

It's not an easy job with some being spit on (assault + possible infectious disease) and some being hit. Shifts can be brutal depending on the area given to work in. The Transit Commission may not be a nice "boss" either.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    According to the TTC website, "As per the Local 113 ATU Collective Agreement, the starting hourly wage rate for this position is $23.59 (rate after successful completion of training)."

http://www.ttc.ca/Jobs/transit_opera...ecruitment.jsp

It's not an easy job with some being spit on (assault + possible infectious disease) and some being hit. Shifts can be brutal depending on the area given to work in. The Transit Commission may not be a nice "boss" either.
    Yes, starting wage. Most of those drivers have probably worked there for many many years, so their wage is going to be a lot higher than $23.59.

Not many jobs are easy jobs.....especially ones where you work with the public. That is a risk everyone assumes when they choose the job they do. If they do not like their job, then quit and find something else.

Wages should be based on the skills and education needed to complete the job as well as an element of cost of living.
    Sky high wages for jobs like that are out of touch with the rest of society and have a negative impact on everyone.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

The Sun Shine list does not list private salaries like family doctors, lawyers, CEOs, CEO's bonuses etc. who can easily make much more.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I think they make even more than that here, I know I heard once and I thought it was obscene. Plus you have to work 12 years on night shift before you can move to day shift but then again once you are in you are in for life. Unions pfffft.

Police here start at $60K I think and they ony work 4 days. they are all p.o.'ed because a pilot project whereby they were working 3 day weeks was discontinued under our new temporary ,mayor. Uh yeah 3 day week. WTH?
    Police here are on 12 hour shifts, so I wonder if that's the same where you are - thus fewer working days per week. If they do three X 12 hour days, that's 36 hours, which some people work anyway instead of a standard 40 hour week. Plus, they would have day/night shifts, plus shift differentials.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Police here are on 12 hour shifts, so I wonder if that's the same where you are - thus fewer working days per week. If they do three X 12 hour days, that's 36 hours, which some people work anyway instead of a standard 40 hour week. Plus, they would have day/night shifts, plus shift differentials.
    Yes. Hospital workers do 3 x 12 hour shifts a lot - doctors, physio, nurses, etc.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Shwa girl, my sister is an ICU nurse, and frankly I don't know how she manages it with a family and all - not just the 12 hour shifts, but then switching between days and nights - having to work most holidays, etc.
    Also, she's always being asked to come in to do extra shifts - there's not only a shortage of nurses, but because of her specialty, not just any nurse can go in to work ICU.
    Nurses are rockstars!
    Last edited by Natalka; Sun, Mar 31st, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
    Patty Smyth and xox2010 like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Shwa girl, my sister is an ICU nurse, and frankly I don't know how she manages it with a family and all - not just the 12 hour shifts, but then switching between days and nights - having to work most holidays, etc.
    Also, she's always being asked to come in to do extra shifts - there's not only a shortage of nurses, but because of her specialty, not just any nurse can go in to work ICU.
    Nurses are rockstars!
    The health care system would absolutely fall apart without them. Also have to add that after my dad's recent stay in the hospital orderlies are taking on more and more tasks that nurses used to do as well.
    xox2010 likes this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post

but do not forget, they may be working 3 days but they need to still work the same amount of hours per week as before, so they are doing longer days. A lot of professions have compressed workweeks, for example, nurses, firefighters etc.
    Natalka likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information