• 2 Post By DianneS
  • 2 Post By imagine
  • 2 Post By annedougherty
  • 3 Post By Kyles_Mama
  • 2 Post By CrazyQT
  • 4 Post By momof3heathens
  • 3 Post By FallenPixels
  • 1 Post By shopperwho

Thread: SMD Question: does it matter WHEN coupons are scanned?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was looking over some of the SDM brags from the weekend's 185000 point event and i noticed that everyone scans the coupons at the end. I always get my cashier to scan them with the products (like... scan the tide, scan the tide coupon, then scan the glade, scan the glade coupon)... i find it so much easier to keep things moving- especially at shoppers where the counters are smaller than my nightstand.

SO my question is: on the "spend X get X" days... do the coupons need to be scanned at the end if the coupons are being used to lower your total below the threshold? Does the total ACTUALLY need to reach 75$/50$ on the computer AND THEN use the coupons?? I always spend way more than the needed amount... and i'm worried about testing this theory out in case it doesn't work!.. I figure an SC/SDM expert would know!
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

theoretically it doesn't matter when the coupon is scanned and I agree that it saves time to have the coupon with the product so that they can check the size requirements etc BUT if you get a cashier that won't scan your magical offer of the day because you haven't met the magical offer threshold BECAUSE the coupons used have reduced your subtotal THEN it does matter when the coupons are scanned and would hold off handing them over til the offer has been applied
    torontogal12 and kmiecp like this.
    RRLF Disney Movie Reward codes found inside Disney dvd/bluray cases
    View my tradelist here: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/4073305-post7.html
    Wishlist here: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/248827-...a/#post4396113

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I always present my coupons with each applicable product. It makes life easier for both me and the cashier, and it saves time for everyone else in line. Nothing worse that a cashier having to go through all the bags trying to match products with coupons. If you are shopping on a 20X points day where the computer automatically adds the points, then it makes no difference when you present the coupons. WendyJane is correct though about shopping on days where you have to give them an actual SDM coupon in order to get bonus points. In that case, depending on your store, you may need to do coupons after the sub-total and SDM coupon scan.
    Last edited by DianneS; Mon, Jul 1st, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Shoppers counters are so small that by the time I finish unloading my basket, the cashier has already scanned and bagged everything. So I always end up doing the coupon scanning at the very end.
    luckbealady and Karlina like this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

I try to do it at the end, just so i am SURE I am over the threshold and won't miss out on my points. I find the problem at Shoppers (which is not a bad thing) is that often things ring up cheaper than the shelf price.
    scbpooh and luckbealady like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    I try to do it at the end, just so i am SURE I am over the threshold and won't miss out on my points. I find the problem at Shoppers (which is not a bad thing) is that often things ring up cheaper than the shelf price.
    If your Shoppers has a price checker scan everything there before you check out at the cash register.
    Last edited by Poirot; Mon, Jul 1st, 2013 at 02:55 PM.

Trading Score
    67 (100%)

I ask the cashier what they'd prefer. Some want them with the products, some at the end. Usually the ones who say they want them at the end don't really bother checking the items, they just enter the coupons all in quickly.
    lizamarie, FrugalKris and Karlina like this.

Curious what all the hype is about SWAGBUCKS? It's the b
    est online program ever! Send me a message if you have any questions or want to learn more.
    Join here:
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/kylesmamma

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    If your Shoppers has a price checker scan everything there before you check out at the cash register.

Yeah, I can't be bothered to do that with a buggy full of stuff lol

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It doesn't really matter. If you want to be 100% sure that you are at or above the threshold then do not give the cashier your optimum card until the VERY end even if he/she asks for it. Once they are finished scanning your products and processing your coupons, ask them to hit total. Look in the top right hand corner of the cash register screen and it will say something like "with an optimum card you would have earned 500 points" or something like that. If it's $50 limit then you want that number to be 500, if it's $75 you want it to be 750. REGARDLESS of what the cashier tells you, you will receive bonus points as long those number are 500 or 750.

Your total out of pocket could be 12.95 after coupons but the screen will still say you could have earned 500 points. IF it's any lower then you need to add something to your cart to boost it up to 500.

Remember to give her your optimum card after you see the total though. LOL

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Yup. What they said.

On a side note, what is with the super small counters and shopping carts any how?
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    This does not work as there are multibuy offers and offers that require the subtotal button to be pressed before the price takes effect (say you buy 5 of a 4 max price etc)
    luckbealady, Karlina and web3 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

"especially at shoppers where the counters are smaller than my nightstand."

Hahahahahahahaha
    lizamarie likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I do the same ask the cashier (coupons with product or at the end), most want it with the product I find....and it's easier for me to check over my receipt with product vs coupon used...I make a list so I meet the spend X and if any doubt I add a couple of extra items

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I tape them to my items. I don't typically buy things unless there's a coupon (IF I ever have to, it's only because it's a sale and/or great points deal). The cashier I go to loves this, as she prefers to enter the coupon when she sees the item it's for. She always subtotals after "2 for" deals and "BP wub2" etc. deals. I watch the base points if it's an 18,500 event because I try not to go too far over the 50/75 seeing that there'd be no bonus points for anything beyond that. But for the 20x I'm always well over the minimum so I don't watch that too much.

Thread Information