• 1 Post By MBCouponMom
  • 1 Post By wendyjane
  • 2 Post By Peachykeen2007

Thread: Need help asap

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Hello,

This might get little long my husband works here in Winnipeg and he is making 10 a hour even though Min wage went up in Oct.He has asked his boss for a .25 cent raise and his boss basically laughed at him.My husband works sometimes from 9 in the morning until 10 at night and they dont pay him overtime for that either..he ask them if they will pay him overtime when he works over 40 hours a week and they say no.There not paying him for Stat holidays either my husband brought it up to them the day before Good Friday that he wants to get paid for stat holiday and they said we will see.

My husband makes incentive when he works if that makes a difference his boss found out from a co-worker about how my husband feels as if he is being basically ripped off so his boss wants to talk to him tonight..but i want to make sure we are prepared for this conversation.His boss does not provide pay stubs either just hands them a cheque and thats it my husband has requested one yet to see it though.

His co-worker feels the same but does not want to risk anything so he is kind of cheering my husband on to handle the issue for them all.

So basically what i want to know is does he have a leg to stand on? any links that could help me? what should he say to his boss to get the point across? my husband fears he will cave on all this when his boss calls because he hates confrontations and actually really likes his boss but wants to get paid min wage and for holidays.He hates when he tells them things that there always like well i will get back to you or i have to consult the other owners..who then battle it out over my husbands request.

he is talking to his boss around dinner so any help before then would be awesome.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

holy cow. how long has your husband worked for him. for one. you can go to the labour board as some of those are mandatory if your FT and been with a company more than 3 months. also your husbands boss MUST provide pay stubs, he's supposed to be paying taxes CPP etc. and has to prove these to the government etc.
    i hate to say it but its best your husband look for work elsewhere as fast as he can, this guy doesnt' sound good at all. this site isn't letting me tell you that there are major issues that would make me want to run.
    Last edited by MrsSunshine; Tue, Apr 9th, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
    fitzgirl likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    142 (100%)

That is not right...your husband can definitely report that to the labour board. You guys deserve better!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Well he talked to his boss and his boss seemed super confused had no idea that Min Wage had gone up in Oct though really as a business owner that should be something your aware of.It seems like his boss just came to the country opened up a business and was completely unaware of how things are suppose to be ran.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

It's important to get a pay stub showing taxes being taken off, etc. As much as that's the employer's responsibility, it's also the employee's responsibility in that income tax doesn't care. If you owe back taxes, you owe and that's it, irregardless of the employer's responsibility. If proper taxes are not being deducted, that also might mean he's making a lot less than minimum wage.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    42 (100%)

you should get in contact with the MB Labour board (like everyone else has said) here is a link to their website
    http://www.gov.mb.ca/labour/labbrd/

My husband dealt with them a few years ago and they are great at answering questions and giving advice.
    wendyjane likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    92 (100%)

yes, notify the labour board and make sure he tells his boss the way he is running his business is illegal.
    You have to get paid min. wage, for overtime and you need the pay stub.
    He should also get back pay for the .25 hr since October.
    wendyjane likes this.
    Breyden's, Lizzie's, Alexa's & Danica's Grama
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/[email protected]

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I hope the meeting went well. Here is a link to the Employment Standards regarding General Holidays in Manitoba.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/labour/standard...,factsheet.pdf

This is a link to the Employment Standards website. There is a ton of information there including contacts if there are further issues.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/labour/standards/
    wendyjane likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks! so more of a update we got the stubs e-mailed to us and when my husband was talking to his boss his boss told him that he had 2 options

1.They will pay him 10.25 a hour but he wont get commission off of sales
    or
    2.They will pay him 10.00 an hour and he will make commission off of sales

Thankfully my husband will be done with the company in the fall as he is going to college

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

There also going to pay him what the owe him for stat holidays..so were making some progress.

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

Depending on how long your husband has been working for this "company" he is OWED backpay in the form of the .25c/hr minimum wage differential, any and all statutory holiday payouts and probably alot more by the sounds of it. Please please look into the above manitoba labour board information that earlier folks have given you and look into it - this company is not just ripping off your family but probably many many others. Please!
    MBCouponMom likes this.
    RRLF Disney Movie Reward codes found inside Disney dvd/bluray cases
    View my tradelist here: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/4073305-post7.html
    Wishlist here: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/248827-...a/#post4396113

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

NOT only what Wendy said but WHAT COMPANY is this?????
    bmpsmommy and MBCouponMom like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I have encouraged him to take this up with the labour board on his next day off because this company is such nonsense.They are not a huge company and have only been in business the last two years and have just a small amount of employees 5 at the moment.

Thread Information