User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Apple (Macbook or iMac) computers worth the price? My computer is dying..questions

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My HP computer(desktop) has been crashing and glitching. (I've owned it for two and half years). I'm sick of trying to fix it (out of warranty).

I hear so much about how Apple computers are great etc. An Apple MacBook Pro Laptop 13.3" starts at $1199.00 and a iMac (21.5" screen, keyboard, mouse) starts at $1299.00. There isn't a built in DVD drive but you can purchase a small lightweight external one for around $79.99 that plugs into the computer via a USB port.

I thought about a tablet but prefer a computer with keyboard set up.

Is it true... Apples are less prone to viruses (I'm guessing you still need a anti-virus program), smoother running software, last years compared to a pc with microsoft?

Basically I use a computer for internet, email, photos, music and some documents (letters, spreadsheets).

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Microsoft, Via Rail

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

I have a Macbook Pro and I absolutely love it! They really don't get any viruses at all and is so smooth running. It barely freezes and glitches at all and it lasts a long time. Although, for some people it needs some getting used to in respect to the trackpad and some of the programs and such
    Granger and halen like this.
    My Tradelist and Wishlist

Join the Purell Loyalty Program for easy rewards such as gift cards and coupons!

Get FREE Men's Boxers when 1O friends sign up
    http://www.comfortableboxers.com?kid=55D9S

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

About 5/6 years ago my adult son bought a MacBook, 2 years ago he upgraded & passed his old unit to his adult sister. Last year my wife got a Mac book. I am the last hold out with PCs. I can say there is a small learning curve getting started, the Macs wireless technology seems to work at least 3 times faster then PC, the Mac Book battery lasts about 3 times a PC on a charge. I don't see any of my 3 family members switching back anytime soon. They are expensive, their accessories are expensive, their software is expensive - but they flat out work. You just gotta learn the secret hand shake.
    Granger likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a Macbook Pro and LOVE it.

It runs beautifully, never freezes. Super long battery life. Mine has the DVD drive, i7. Bought it refurbished online from Apple.

It took me no time at all to get use to the small differences between it and a windows based computer.
    Granger likes this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone! I need to save more money and then I will purchase one.

More questions..

I currently have a Canon Pixma MX410 all in one printer (printer, copier, scanner, fax). It came with both a windows disc and a Macintosh disc. I'm assuming this will set up wirelessly with a Apple computer? The printer is two years old.

Three months ago I bought a Cisco/Linksys EA3500 router for wifi (printer and smartphone). I'm assuming this will also work with Apple?

Will Gmail, Shaw Webmail, Hotmail work on an Apple?
    Last edited by toban; Tue, Apr 16th, 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

I am a Apple reseller and I own a Apple iMac 27" and I LOVE IT - and YES NO VIRUSES!!!

If you look at ANY other brands and their TOP LINES the prices are the same
    Granger and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I wouldn't say no viruses. While Apple is targeted less than Windows, there still are issues with Malware and viruses, and you still need to be careful where you browse. Honestly, I can't say I'm that impressed with how Apple handles malware. They tend to practice security through obscurity, and while this practice is improving, they are nowhere near as proactive as they really should be. As Apple's market share increases, so do the risks, and they have been successfully exploited in the past.

In terms of reliability and support, there aren't many issues. I would definitely consider paying for Applecare, but overall you'll get much better service than buying one of HP or Dell's consumer lines.

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    More questions..

I currently have a Canon Pixma MX410 all in one printer (printer, copier, scanner, fax). It came with both a windows disc and a Macintosh disc. I'm assuming this will set up wirelessly with a Apple computer? The printer is two years old.

Three months ago I bought a Cisco/Linksys EA3500 router for wifi (printer and smartphone). I'm assuming this will also work with Apple?

Will Gmail, Shaw Webmail, Hotmail work on an Apple?
    To all three questions, yes. You'll need to download a new printer driver from Canon's website, but it should work without any issues

The Router will work fine, as Apple uses the same wireless standards.

Webmail will also work fine, and Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Opera all have Mac versions.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just to add, Apple has a built in Mail client you can use to bring all your emails together.

Your printer will likely work, when you go to connect to it, the application will search for the driver and in most cases, it'll find it. If not, you'll have to do it manually but the chances are, you'll find it. The setup process is pretty quick too.
    Granger likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

be sure to get the apple care protection plan for 3 years or whatever they offer. i had a macbook pro logic board die on me shortly after the 1 year warranty was up. apple will do nothing for you if your computer is out of warranty. i've always used apple computers and still do. they are very good, but you know what mass production can do to products.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have an iMac and two MBP's; they have been great. Mac's aren't immune to viruses, it's just that there is a warning before anything is downloaded onto your system (you need to type in your name and password). I never buy extended warranties for anything, but I bought Applecare. For some reason, I am comfortable taking apart a PC, but not a Mac...

I didn't have any trouble hooking up the iMac to my printer and from there, it networks with the other Mac products. I have yet to get either of my PC's to network with this printer. Yes, they are more expensive, but there are also a lot of useful features included that are worth the money.

My sister bought a Samsung laptop last Fall; I had purchased a new 15" rMBP that summer....last time I talked to her, she said the battery would only hold a charge of 45 minutes! Mine holds four or five hours and the 13" will hold a charge of over six hours!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Macs cost way more than they should. Something like a hackintosh is more reasonable, a *fake* mac laptop or desktop. They take a bit of work but are worth the savings.
    Windows isn't that bad, if you hate it that much, you could try linux.
    Linux I'd say is more immune to viruses than macs(no one uses linux, no point in making virus for it). They also tend to be more flexible, but have less programs and games, if that's what you need.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone I'll have to wait awhile before purchasing. Unfortunately there are household issues that need to be addressed before I can purchase an Apple. I visited the Apple store and looked at the iMAC and Pro. I liked the Mac Book Pro but I'm guess I'm not use to the smaller screen compared to a desktop style computer such as the iMAC. $1,299 for iMAC, $199.99 for extra warranty, cd/dvd drive attachment $79, plus taxes. He said if I buy a computer, I could sign up for a 1 year course ($99) and come everyday to learn the system etc. The Apple consultant was very helpful. At the moment I can't afford one due to things that need to be done around here, but maybe in the near future.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Toban, I too was recently left without a pc
    I thought about getting a tablet. All I use it for is email, visit a few websites, stream a few shows.... I had a budget of $300 or less. Off to Futureshop I go and put my trust in the salespeople. (I dont even have a cell phone so it goes to show how "techless" I am LOL)
    He listened to me and showed me the new google chromebook. It was $269. It has an actual keyboard to type on, so no need to buy an additional dock if you prefer the keyboard. Bigger than a tablet & can do a bit more than a tablet. Smaller than a laptop but can do less than a laptop. It does not have windows, but runs of google chrome OS. Has a HDMI port, 2.0 &3.0 USB ports, battery runs for 6 hours before a charge, apparently it does it's updates invisibly & often and without you asking, and something to do with its built in virus protection so no need to worry about viruses. Comes with 2 years of google cloud for free.
    I got it yesterday so I am still trying to figure it out, I seem to like it so far, it has everything I need except I need to figure out how to have a webchat with DH who is working in another province. I cant figure that part out yet.
    If you are looking for an inexpensive little machine maybe go take a look at the chromebook.

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    My HP computer(desktop) has been crashing and glitching. (I've owned it for two and half years). I'm sick of trying to fix it (out of warranty).

I hear so much about how Apple computers are great etc. An Apple MacBook Pro Laptop 13.3" starts at $1199.00 and a iMac (21.5" screen, keyboard, mouse) starts at $1299.00. There isn't a built in DVD drive but you can purchase a small lightweight external one for around $79.99 that plugs into the computer via a USB port.

I thought about a tablet but prefer a computer with keyboard set up.

Is it true... Apples are less prone to viruses (I'm guessing you still need a anti-virus program), smoother running software, last years compared to a pc with microsoft?

Basically I use a computer for internet, email, photos, music and some documents (letters, spreadsheets).

Thanks!
    toban likes this.
    If you are thinking of joining Listia, use my referral http://www.listia.com/signup/736035

Why not give swagbucks a try?? You'll be glad you did! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/bonste

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks maizy I will look into the Chrome books. So many choices. I have many people telling me to get the Apple. My computer is half working so maybe I will save up more and get purchase one eventually.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.

I've had apple computers for the last 5 years (iMac and Macbook Pro). I've never had an issue with viruses. Things just work and that's how I like it. I gave up on PC's when I spent more time and money fixing issues, than I was spending on leisure time. Yes they can be pricey, but the money and time saved of not having to fix things, makes it worth it for me.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Granger, Candini, i_forget and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information