User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Apple (Macbook or iMac) computers worth the price? My computer is dying..questions

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    Thanks maizy I will look into the Chrome books. So many choices. I have many people telling me to get the Apple. My computer is half working so maybe I will save up more and get purchase one eventually.
    I too would LOVE to have an apple, we just cant afford it right now. I have no need for all the word processing programs, so for me I think this was a good choice for the simple online things I do.
    Good luck with your choice.
    If you are thinking of joining Listia, use my referral http://www.listia.com/signup/736035

Why not give swagbucks a try?? You'll be glad you did! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/bonste

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

"Once you go Mac, you'll never go back."
    Couldn't have been said better.

Get yourself a student discount as well. Grab a hold of a Highschool/university student, show a student card and save around $100 on most models.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wouldn't say that "You'll never go back" always applies, why not have both? I found myself running into Windows only programs so many times that I bought Windows 8 for $99 at Newegg.ca, and installed on Bootcamp (which comes pre-installed on every Mac and now supports Windows 8) on my Mac Mini. That way, I could dual-boot when I needed to use Windows. That said, I do prefer OS X for most tasks, like email, web browsing, iTunes, etc. Here are the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 8 from Newegg, my Mac used 64-bit, most Macs do.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Also, if I may add, you can get a program on Apple computers that let it turn into a Windows computer...same layout, software, etc.

This can be helpful for programs that Apple don't offer or programs that you already have for Windows.

Also maybe consider looking at these if it helps with the price?

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/hom...ac/macbook_pro
    My Tradelist and Wishlist

Join the Purell Loyalty Program for easy rewards such as gift cards and coupons!

Get FREE Men's Boxers when 1O friends sign up
    http://www.comfortableboxers.com?kid=55D9S

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My PC is having a slow (and painful) death... and I am considering a macmini--$600 for the basic model. Can I ask how long you have had yours? and did you go with the basic model or the i7 model?
    Thanks for your post --you have already answered some of my questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by fergieonline View Post
    I wouldn't say that "You'll never go back" always applies, why not have both? I found myself running into Windows only programs so many times that I bought Windows 8 for $99 at Newegg.ca, and installed on Bootcamp (which comes pre-installed on every Mac and now supports Windows 8) on my Mac Mini. That way, I could dual-boot when I needed to use Windows. That said, I do prefer OS X for most tasks, like email, web browsing, iTunes, etc. Here are the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 8 from Newegg, my Mac used 64-bit, most Macs do.

Trading Score
    132 (100%)

I have a MacBook Pro and so does my 15 year old daughter. We love it. My son who is 12 has a PC ......and he hates it. He wants a MacBook so bad!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by smrtshop View Post
    "Once you go Mac, you'll never go back."
    Couldn't have been said better.

Get yourself a student discount as well. Grab a hold of a Highschool/university student, show a student card and save around $100 on most models.

I'm pretty sure it's restricted to post secondary students, along with teachers, and faculty.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

So I do like my macs. I have an iMAC, a dead ibook (its 10 years old and lived 8 years of functionality), a broken ipod touch (6 years old and the middle button broke), but for my tablet I bought the blackberry playbook. The playbook was significantly cheaper ($150) and does everything I need so I am happy with the purchase. The battery life in the BB playbook is not as good as apple's battery life and the screen is a little bit less sensitive. As in you may have to click 2 or 3 times to select what you want. However I can deal with that issue for the price differential. I love BB playbooks camera, many of the free apps, and the word document creator.

While shopping if you are still into apple products look into newegg.ca. I did see a refurbished iMAC 8 months or so after I purchased mine for less than half the price I got mine for. I was sort of bummed about it. There is not anything worth buying today on new egg from apple but that's where they send the inventory they aren't selling anymore from what I can tell. So check back there regularly.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I currently use the Macbook Air 13 as my daily driver and it's quite a step up from my old HP Pavilion laptop. I'd definitely recommend it!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've had a 13.3 inch Macbook Pro for over 18 months now. Got a really good deal on it for boxing day, it was $1000 compared to the $1250 original price. I must say it is an amazing device, couldn't be more satisfied. Apple products are a bit expensive yes, but you get exactly what you pay for, worth every dime. No complaints at all. ! good job apple

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry I didn't help to answer, but here you what other people of good will give you a satisfactory reply.

---------------------------------------
    Eastgoshopping

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have not reallly looked over all of the previous posts, but I have a bit of a suggestion for those looking for a cheaper option. I have an Ipad 4, and for when I go back to school, I really do not want to drag my laptop to class with me because it is really big and bulky, so I just bought myself a keyboard for my Ipad.

I am using it right now, and am getting use to a smaller keyboard, but for those that do not need a computer and a tablet can make do with their needs, this is good.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

actually, my charger had a problem. I went into apple because it wouldn't charge when in use, only a blinking green light. But when it was shut off it would charge. I had it a bit over a year and a few months and they replaced the charger, free. They said it was because there was no significant damage. I guess it all depends on the representative and what your problem is. In this case, something that I couldn't have done.
    My Tradelist and Wishlist

Join the Purell Loyalty Program for easy rewards such as gift cards and coupons!

Get FREE Men's Boxers when 1O friends sign up
    http://www.comfortableboxers.com?kid=55D9S

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In my personal opinion nothing "Apple" is worth the price. You are paying for a brand name. If you were to price out a laptop with the exact same specifications as a Mac you can find something for half the price. I say this owning a Macbook Pro. I bought it second hand as the price for a new one is way too pricy. When buying any computer it comes down to what you intend to use it for and what types of software you use as well. The majority of software you are used to using in Windows will not work on a Mac. Honestly I will not by a Mac ever again due to the price. In order to run many of the useful windows applications I had to purchase VMware fusion and create a windows virtual machine. Things to think about.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

3.2 years ago, we were running Windows pre Vista - waiting for something less crashy to come out. We went with Windows 7. After 8 months of it crashing and never integrating well with any of our peripherals - DH got frustrated and bought a used white Macbook from an Apple dealer. He would not touch the PC again! I was a little more stuck on the fact that we had paid good money for this computer and it was darn well going to work for us. However, the silly thing insisted on crashing regularly and emails locked up etc etc etc. Long story short - Kijiji came in very handy for selling the PC. I ended up with a refurbished Macbook pro from the same place.

I am hooked on the Mac - yes there is a learning curve. Yes there are some programs that will just not work with it (Ufile flatly refuses to create a software for Mac - so I have hung on to our netbook running Windows XP for its once a year exercise), yes some websites are not compatible. I find the largest learning curve is the mail program. It does not seem to be as flexible as some of the others I have used - but looking at the overall other frustrations - this is so minor.

And YES - I have peripherals that were working before and after a little finegaling - they now work just fine with the Mac.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information