• 1 Post By oscarandme
  • 2 Post By shirl57

Thread: Green Works Save $1.50 off coupon - my experience and questions

NR3
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello everyone, i just wanted to share my experience today.

First off i went to CT(Great Lakes Drive, Brampton, Ontario) When i got to the cashier she told me they don't accept the printed off coupons, and that they will only accept the actual vendor coupon. She said that it takes a long time to get reimbursed for the printed off coupons (not sure if i believe that).
    So i just said ok no problem and left without the Green Works and with my coupons.

Next up, i tried to price match at Walmart , but because of the hassle i got from CT i decided to verify if i can use the coupons there, i was told yes i can used it there along with the price match with CT flyer.However i was also told that because the coupon says "One coupon per purchase" i can perform 1 transaction ONLY, and if i wanted to use the coupon multiple times i would have to do individual transactions at different cashiers for each one because each cashier is only allowed to do only 1 of these types of transaction (i thought that was fishy because i've never had to do that before using more than one coupon)
    I got 5 Green Works dish soap to go with 5 coupons (but i had 10 coupons with me in my bag) , against what she told me (she was just a regular cashier and not a manager)

At the register i informed my cashier that i have the coupons, and he said it's ok for me to use the coupons towards the 5 bottles, and i told him i had 5 more coupons to use and he said it's ok, that i can go get 5 more (he was really helpful)
    So on my way back to the register now, i heard from across the other registers the lady shouting to me and my cashier "THE LIMIT IS ONLY 6" (in caps because she said it really loud, i felt kinda embarrassed) so i told my cashier it's ok pls only ring in 6.
    i also gave him a heads up because i heard and saw the lady telling another cashier about how i asked her when i came in the store and that she told me i can only buy 1 to go with only 1 coupon, (more embarrassing)
    My cashier said it was ok and that he verified with another cashier if he can carry on the multiple transaction and it was ok.
    And that the other lady was just being rude because she worked there longer and thought she was a "big wig" employee.

So i left Walmart very happy because it all worked out in the end, but i also left very very very confused.

What does "Limit One Coupon Per Purchase" really mean?

Was i wrong for going against her and matching 6 product with 6 coupons?????

Any advice???
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    knitting nurse and paciad like this.

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

My approch is "One per purchase" is one per product purchased not "one per transaction" Hope that makes sense
    momgoneawol and mandy403 like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Brampton is absolutely the WORST with coupon policies, especially printed coupons!
    Everywhere I go I just have to "play innocent and dumb," because I find that they do not like it when you try to prove them wrong.
    All I can say is to find a location that works and stick to it. Usually at the Walmart on Bovaird and Main I go to the younger cashiers around my age, they seem to just make sure the coupons are valid.
    Trying printed coupons at SDM has also been such a hassle for me, I have only been successful downtown while on campus at school.

Anyways, I've totally gone off topic, more into a rant.

To answer some of your questions, I notice that a lot of cashiers will each do something different and tell you different things. Bottom line, just keep trying don't get frustrated because once you do get the deal you intended to get you will feel great!
    Last edited by paciad; Tue, Apr 16th, 2013 at 11:33 PM.
    cbou and amcintyre780 like this.

NR3
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by scbpooh View Post
    My approch is "One per purchase" is one per product purchased not "one per transaction" Hope that makes sense
    Thank you so much, that is what I thought. Since I have used individual coupons for items in 1 transaction before. Example - Degree Coupon last year.
    This is why I was so confused.........But not deterred :-D!
    scbpooh likes this.

NR3
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by paciad View Post
    Brampton is absolutely the WORST with coupon policies, especially printed coupons!
    Everywhere I go I just have to "play innocent and dumb," because I find that they do not like it when you try to prove them wrong.
    All I can say is to find a location that works and stick to it. Usually at the Walmart on Bovaird and Main I go to the younger cashiers around my age, they seem to just make sure the coupons are valid.
    Trying printed coupons at SDM has also been such a hassle for me, I have only been successful downtown while on campus at school.

Anyways, I've totally gone off topic, more into a rant.

To answer some of your questions, I notice that a lot of cashiers will each do something different and tell you different things. Bottom line, just keep trying don't get frustrated because once you do get the deal you intended to get you will feel great!
    I hear ya! I too have played that trick lol. But yes my couponing experience in Brampton is by far the worst.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

NR3!

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. alot of us get the same problem at CT and totally depends on the cashier and as "paciad" confirmed that is a location with lots of issues. Like she mentioned weither WM or CT or anywhere find a location that you know you probably will not have an issue, doesn't mean you won't every so often. But what bothers me is that cashier that screamed it out... That bothers me...If EVER you encounter a situation like that again you do the following:

DH is very outspoken by nature but when it comes to on the spot situations - I have told him right away...do the following:
    (the 5 Ws- WHO-WHAT-WHERE-WHEN & WHY).

1. WHO: Ask their(employee) name right away. Take the time to write it down, borrow their own pen if you have to (so they know you mean business).

2. Ask to speak with the manager in front of the cashier or the second one you were humiliated in front of. Explain the situation and explain that that was unprofessional, uncalled for and unecessary and you need to know how your employees are treating your loyal customers. And express that you expect this type of behavior to be corrected and that you were humiliated in front of your staff and other patrons. (Print this out if you need to and read it out if you have to, practice if you need to).

3. If you still receive no respect at the very least and no satisfaction at all (write the managers name on a same piece of paper) explain that you will be writing to head office and will be explaining what happened on this date (note date, note time, cashier name of the "screamer know-it-all" and the name of cashier that dealt with you or they can find out from receipt who processed you and the manager on duty name and the details as mentionned above and explain that you are appauled, dismayed and disapointed in the service you were given at that location.

4. In person and in email mention that you have done your research and this location is known to be problematic and disrespectful to its customers by several cashiers in their employment. and clearly this issue is ongoing and nothing is being corrected.

5. WHO, 2 cashier names , WHAT, customer service, WHERE, location, WHEN, date,time, WHY (explain situation).

There is no reason anyone should experience this type of service and trust me we all have. Situations arise often in our daily lives and when you know you are right, you fight. That bothers me because if I would have been there and I have and walked away and felt terrible and like a thief when I did nothing wrong and neither did you. You learn and this is a lesson I have learned by myself and sometimes you just have to stand-up when you know you are right and make a stand. Not a spectacle, she has covered that part and she is the only one looking like an idiot. But this type of behavior...some people should retire if they have had enough of dealing with people or remember that they are paid to be professional and that WAS NOT!!

At this point send an email to HQ and explain the situation, that is what I would do. And again this is just advice but this has saved some dignity on our behalf, new found respect and sometimes compensation for the trouble received. I have always believed in giving feedback weither good or bad and have worked in industries that expected and appreciated any feedback so I believe it is my duty as a consumer.

I hope this helps or at the very least do not let them bother you I am bothered for you so you can let it go-I got it.. Thanks for sharing and if you decide to write please let us know how it turns out. We are the consumers, the store is open because of us, the employees have jobs because of us and they should act like professionals.
    Last edited by oscarandme; Wed, Apr 17th, 2013 at 05:54 AM.

NR3
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@ oscarandme, your advice was really really helpful. greatly appreciate it.
    i think i will be contacting HQ because we should not be scorned upon for doing something within our right!
    maybe i will go back to walmart and get the woman's name and so on.
    will keep you guys posted on any response(s) i get.

thanks so much for allowing me to "vent"

Onwards with Our savings now
    scbpooh and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I'm proud of you. NR3 - Even whle you are there, speak with the manager and resolve it there. Good luck and take care.
    NR3 likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you to "oscarandme,", that was perfect advice and very clear. I totally agree.

On occasion, some couponers (I hate to say) sometimes abuse their couponing "skills" and/or feel entitled with an arrogant attitude. If a cashier gives them grief, I feel no sympathy for that particular couponer. Sadly sometimes it's the rotten apple couponers that leave a bad taste in a cashier's mouth and makes it bad for the rest of us.

BUT for the majority of all of us honest and law abiding couponers, I agree too that this cashier's attitude was totally uncalled for. I too, have fallen victim to the occasional nasty cashier and too have felt as though I was the one at fault, yet I wasn't.

Ironically yesterday I too was at CT twice, once in the afternoon, and later in the evening. In the afternoon, I had a couple Greenworks coupons and the cashier was unfamiliar with internet coupons. So her supervisor explained to her that

- 1 coupon per perchase means - 1 coupon per 1 product; while

- 1 coupon per transaction means - 1 coupon per entire transaction (whether 1 or 50 items in total of everything you buy).

So I had no problem. Then in the evening I came back as had forgotten a few things earlier and had 2 more coupons for GW. Had a different cashier who was very new and intimidated by the coupons. This time they called a different manager (night shift) and he was confused also. So I had to explain to them what had been explained by the day supervisor.

Although 3 of the 4 people were not comfortably familiar with the wordings, all were very patient and pleasant.

But I know sometimes the per product vs per transaction trips people up.

I think it's a good thing to carry our policies around for these specific types of reasons, so if a problem does come up, we can show them the policies of their individual business. Good luck my friend.

"Oscarandme" - I have printed off your explanation. I don't like to run into this type of problem, but if this situation occurs with me, at least I have steps to follow up. Thank you.
    oscarandme and NR3 like this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

shirl57!

Thank you for the kind words and I thank you too for explaining the difference. It is odd that it is still open to interpretation. Coupons have been aroun for years. Stores should have this down pat by now, if not time to pull up their pants and train their employees properly or atleast have it printed out near the cash so they can also refer to it. I think sometimes the staff are not given adequate training and we often blame them on their interpretation when their knowledge should be based on written facts, training and experience. I went to Independant Grocers today and offering coupons as a mode of purchasing was as if I took out some crayolas and drew a 20.00 bill on a piece of paper in front of them. My first and last time using a coupon there. Too bad because it is a nice store but that kind of turned me off. No biggie, did not feel like fighting not that I usually do but I went okay, will go to WM. The lady behind me said, that is what I always do, they are terrible here for that. It's okayI picked-up coupons I did not have, a few items I wanted to try on sale and a lesson learned.

Thank you again and those guidelines are there in case. Live and learn and that is what I love about SC..we are always doing both, together.

Quote Originally Posted by shirl57 View Post
    Thank you to "oscarandme,", that was perfect advice and very clear. I totally agree.

On occasion, some couponers (I hate to say) sometimes abuse their couponing "skills" and/or feel entitled with an arrogant attitude. If a cashier gives them grief, I feel no sympathy for that particular couponer. Sadly sometimes it's the rotten apple couponers that leave a bad taste in a cashier's mouth and makes it bad for the rest of us.

BUT for the majority of all of us honest and law abiding couponers, I agree too that this cashier's attitude was totally uncalled for. I too, have fallen victim to the occasional nasty cashier and too have felt as though I was the one at fault, yet I wasn't.

Ironically yesterday I too was at CT twice, once in the afternoon, and later in the evening. In the afternoon, I had a couple Greenworks coupons and the cashier was unfamiliar with internet coupons. So her supervisor explained to her that

- 1 coupon per perchase means - 1 coupon per 1 product; while

- 1 coupon per transaction means - 1 coupon per entire transaction (whether 1 or 50 items in total of everything you buy).

So I had no problem. Then in the evening I came back as had forgotten a few things earlier and had 2 more coupons for GW. Had a different cashier who was very new and intimidated by the coupons. This time they called a different manager (night shift) and he was confused also. So I had to explain to them what had been explained by the day supervisor.

Although 3 of the 4 people were not comfortably familiar with the wordings, all were very patient and pleasant.

But I know sometimes the per product vs per transaction trips people up.

I think it's a good thing to carry our policies around for these specific types of reasons, so if a problem does come up, we can show them the policies of their individual business. Good luck my friend.

"Oscarandme" - I have printed off your explanation. I don't like to run into this type of problem, but if this situation occurs with me, at least I have steps to follow up. Thank you.

Thread Information