User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 15 killed and 150 injured in Texas fertilizer plant explosion

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
    My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

damaged by storm.....not a blast..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yea I know but it was still a chemical plant on fire.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
    My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Gee, absolutely terrible!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

CNN - They are reporting 5-10 dead so far. Not sure if those early estimates were a little high.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Here is a video of the explosion as it happens. Warning: It's gut wrenching as you hear the little girl pleading with her Dad and saying she can't hear. Shivers I tell ya.

http://video.news.com.au/2380291128/...t-of-explosion

Do you have a link to that incident gryphon?

So that would mean all those building you see before the explosion are now gone.

Why would you build a house that close to a fertilizer plant? How close were they really?

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I wouldn't see why you'd build near a plant but they also could have been there before the plant was built. Or for some odd reason they built there. I updated the thread title to reflect this morning's count from the Falls/Fort Worth news site which says 15 killed and around 150 injured. Still quite horrible.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

CNN According to police so far they are 2 confirmed dead one is most likely the volunteer fire fighter who was on scene and called the plant owner. Very sad.

CNN - It is being treated as an act of arson. (how can they even tell that at this point?)

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I wouldn't see why you'd build near a plant but they also could have been there before the plant was built. Or for some odd reason they built there. I updated the thread title to reflect this morning's count from the Falls/Fort Worth news site which says 15 killed and around 150 injured. Still quite horrible.

Hopefully casualties remain on the very low side. Hard to imagine it will but thankfully the plant was empty.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I cannot believe that the government would allow there to be a fertilizer plant so close to residential areas.

Anyone with half a brain knows the potential risk of an explosion or fire would cause this sort of damage.

All those people who are injured and dead....sad.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

If it was arson, I hope the person responsible wasn't actually planning on causing such a catastrophe.
    i don't know if that came out right. arson is bad, i just hope it wasn't part of a bigger plot.
    Patty Smyth likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So sad...

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

West plant labelled crime scene

Gov. Rick Perry on Thursday said he is seeking a federal disaster declaration for West, Texas in the wake of the deadly explosion at the fertilizer plant. Speaking from the DPS command post in North Austin, the governor said he has already spoken with President Obama about his request and thanked him for his attention to the disaster in the town north of Waco.
    "Last night was truly a nightmare scenario," Perry told reporters.
    In West, meanwhile, crews in the neighborhoods surrounding the deadly explosion at the 51-year-old fertilizer plant still expect to find survivors, an official said Thursday.
    The death toll from the explosion could be as high as 15 and two of those killed were paramedics, Swonton said.
    He told reporters he that officials did not know how many people have been rescued or how many are still missing. Crews were conducting search-and-rescue operations throughout the neighborhoods surrounding the plant. He also said the blast appears to be an industrial accident.
    Meanwhile the area around the plant was labeled a crime scene.
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Thu, Apr 18th, 2013 at 01:32 PM.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Until we known when which was built is a lot of speculation, though looking at the town map it appears to be a long thin town. I've heard it's around 2 miles long by half a mile wide. according to wiki it's area is 1.6 square miles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ci..._explosion.svg

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

West Fertilizer company told EPA last night's explosion could never happen

A massive blast at a fertilizer plant in West, Texas, on Wednesday night injured and killed an untold number of people. According to the plant's own emergency planning report, however, such an explosion was more or less an impossibility.

The Dallas Morning News got its hands on the West Fertilizer Co.'s report, filed with the EPA and local public safety officials assessing the risk of fire or explosion at the plant, which had an estimated 54,000 pounds anhydrous ammonia on site. Given last night's terrible explosion, the company's own worst-case scenario was, in retrospect, astonishingly mild (emphasis mine):
    The report, reviewed Wednesday night by The Dallas Morning News, stated 'no' under fire or explosive risks. The worst possible scenario, the report said, would be a 10-minute release of ammonia gas that would kill or injure no one. The second worst possibility projected was a leak from a broken hose used to transfer the product, again causing no injuries. The plan says the facility did not have any other dangerous chemicals on hand. It says that the plan was on file with the local fire department and that the company had implemented proper safety rules.
    head/desk...

eta..bold is by the Slate author, not me in case any-one's confused.
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Thu, Apr 18th, 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information