User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Question about butter from Shoppers drug mart

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pettyfan4343 View Post
    3 weeks ago, Shoppers drug mart had butter on for 2.99. I purchased 4 pounds. Of the 3 of the 4 have had to returned to be replaced and they butter has gone moldy/bad.They have replaced it with no question

My question is how long should butter stay fresh in the fridge?..I would have thought 3 weeks and it should still be ok

has anyone else had problems with butter from Shoppers?
    Non grocery stores like SDM usually don't have a high turnover of items like butter etc , depending on which location you go to. So lot of times they have old or close to expiry grocery items on their shelves, as no one has bought them and they are not being replaced with new stock. Zellers also often used to have that problem with their groceries

The SDM butter itself is not bad , sometimes its just a question of how busy that location is and if the turnover is high or not.

Was the SDM butter close to expiry ?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never seen an expiry date on butter and I find this a bit odd/confusing.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    297 (100%)

Never had any problems either and I use alot for baking so I freeze it with no trouble.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Several years ago I got butter from SDM that went sour after a couple weeks. Now I cut it in half and put half in the freezer.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Was it salted or unsalted butter? I'm just curious because we don't go through a lot of butter but the only one that's ever gone moldy on us was unsalted.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by itsakeychain View Post
    Was it salted or unsalted butter? I'm just curious because we don't go through a lot of butter but the only one that's ever gone moldy on us was unsalted.
    o crap, the one i got was unsalted. i got it just because everyone else there at the time was getting unsalted, peer pressure in affect. hope mine will last time enough

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by itsakeychain View Post

The butter was unsalted..

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Honestly, my family dont go through a lot of butter neither and I buy them whenever SDM has them on sale then I bring it home and freeze it right away. I only ever buy the unsalted cause I use them only for baking and make my own butter popcorn so I can adjust the salty-ness. I have even left the block of opened butter wrapped in its original foil in the fridge for cant remember how long, maybe more than a month? and its still fine...no problem at all! But although my SDM carries a small limited amount of groceries, I went there 4-5 times a day when I was on mat leave and the stuff doing the grocery order always changes the food due to the demand at that location.

Anyways, basically what im trying to say is that from my experience, i dont think it has anything to do with the butter being salted or unsalted

Quote Originally Posted by cinpow View Post
    o crap, the one i got was unsalted. i got it just because everyone else there at the time was getting unsalted, peer pressure in affect. hope mine will last time enough
    Last edited by Crissy86; Fri, May 3rd, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
    pippinelkhound likes this.
    RRRRRLF $10 Pampers coupons and FPC Burnbrae Farms Nestlaid shell eggs!!!
    Come join me on Swagbucks & start earning PayPal and Amazon gift cards now! Please sign up using my referral link. Http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Crissy86

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I have never had a problem with the SDM butter.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crissy86 View Post

Anyways, basically what im trying to say is that from my experience, i dont think it has anything to do with the butter being salted or unsalted
    The salt acts as a preservative which allows the butter to be "best before" about 3 months longer than non salted butter will. The expiry date on butter is usually on the case box that it arrives in. The only way to find out what the expiry date is to ask someone to check the box for you.
    sweetproserpina likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information