User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Minimun salary is 10,16$ per hours since may 1 in QC

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

So lets do the calcul:
    Working at 40 hres per week(week full) at minimun salary will bring you 21 112$ per year...does the impots are counted in that?

Poverty limit salary: 23 647$ per year...

You work full time,,,not arriving and considering poverty limit...what is wrong with that?

Maybe a little better if you are working with tips,but it is like 6,95$ per hour,not 10,16$

Yay for couponning lol...it is not a leaisure it is a priority
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Mia and Autumn7 like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

there is a reason why minimum wage is minimum wage... if you have no skills and or education and are working at a job as such then why should you make more? Also increasing it will only inflate prices even more and even cause some layoffs to happen as employers are unable to keep employes at the new wage. $10.16 an hour is still more then other provinces and is pretty good.
    cath007 and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I am going to assume that the annual wages based on 51 weeks (not 52 because some holidays fall on weekdays and new people might not get holiday pay until 3 months or more on the job) might be closer to the realI am going to assume that the annual wages based on 51 weeks (not 52 because some holidays fall on weekdays and new people might not get holiday pay until 3 months or more on the job) might be closer to the reality.

Also, there are different minimum wages applying to different jobs. It would be a good SmartCanuck discussion to point out which wages apply to which jobs. Most professions have their own acts/statutes under provincial law that relate to their earnings and thus are exempt from the provincial employment lawAlso, there are different minimum wages applying to different jobs. It would be a good SmartCanuck discussion to point out which wages apply to which jobs. Most professions have their own acts/statutes under provincial law that relate to their earnings and thus are exempt from the general provincial employment act.

I have never understood why serving staff in food places don't qualify for regular minimum wage (like retail and office staff) because not everyone drinks yet serving staff have to move/lift/clean so much on a shift-there are sore muscles to compensate, and then there are the cheapskate customers who won't tip. Really, pay the staff. And that d*** tipout policy that affects some restaurants where servers either fork over a percentage to the owners or to different groups of people. Serving job ads should disclose all this information--no excuses if owners are planning to siphon earnings from serving staff. I have never understood why serving staff in food places don't qualify for regular minimum wage.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, May 8th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
    matrix82, cath007 and ticul like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

SK has the same minimum wage for everyone - there are only four provinces which don't.

Alberta $9.75 General Workers
    $9.05 Liquor Servers
    BC $10.25
    $9.00 Liquor Servers
    Saskatchewan $10.00
    Manitoba $10.25
    Ontario $10.25 General Workers
    $8.90 Liquor Servers
    $9.60 Student Under 18 (less than 28 hrs/wk)
    Quebec $9.90 General Workers
    ($10.15 as of May 1, 2013)
    $8.55 If Gratuities Apply
    ($8.75 as of May 1, 2013)
    New Brunswick $10.00
    Nova Scotia $10.30
    PEI $10.00
    Newfoundland & Labrador $10.00
    Yukon $10.54
    NWT $10.00
    Nunavut $11.00

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

It would be a good SmartCanuck discussion to point out which wages apply to which jobs I agree with what you said Ciel and I have the same point of view.
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Thanks you for the chart information Natalka You are great in research

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

You're welcome, cath!
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by idonovan View Post
    there is a reason why minimum wage is minimum wage... if you have no skills and or education and are working at a job as such then why should you make more? Also increasing it will only inflate prices even more and even cause some layoffs to happen as employers are unable to keep employes at the new wage. $10.16 an hour is still more then other provinces and is pretty good.
    I think some new Canadians, even with degrees in their own country, with many skills and years of experience, must take minimum wage jobs as they start over in Canada. Some are parents with children. Some are attending school + working, to get their education to Canadian standards.

So, it is not so cut and dry to some adults making minimum wage. The stores are not all the same. It is a difficult life for some -- not of their own choosing. Please remember this.
    CrazyQT, cath007, emg and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I am aware but it is what it is. These jobs are jobs that do not require an education regardless of who is working them. It may be hard for them but well some of the new Canadians came here not out of political reasons or war but of there own free will/ doing... they made the choice to come here they should not be treated any different. Also just because you have a child does not mean you should be treated any different in a minimum wage job. There is other help for this of course. I am not sure how it works for people who had to come here for reasons beyond normal control but still minimum wage is still there for reasons stated before and i would assume its still better then the alternative.
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I am aware but it is what it is. These jobs are jobs that do not require an education regardless of who is working them. It may be hard for them but well some of the new Canadians came here not out of political reasons or war but of there own free will/ doing... they made the choice to come here they should not be treated any different. Also just because you have a child does not mean you should be treated any different in a minimum wage job. There is other help for this of course. I am not sure how it works for people who had to come here for reasons beyond normal control but still minimum wage is still there for reasons stated before and i would assume its still better then the alternative.
    Oh my.
    I really hope there is room for compassion when making the decision on minimum wage.
    *felling sad at your response*
    So sad.
    cath007, Mia and Aridne89 like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

People have to work retail and fast food. If no one did, there would be no one to serve you. I believe that minimum wage is far too low for those working retail and fast food... yes you can say it's their "choice" and that they could get an education and make more money, but if everyone was educated and no one wanted to work these "menial" jobs, who would run these places? robots? I would honestly be willing to pay more for my un-unnecessary purchases like clothing and cosmetics if it meant that people were being paid a living wage.
    The thing that irks me the most, being a former retail worker, is that people complain when they are being served by teenagers and young adults. They complain that they want to talk to an adult, not "kids". But, in the same breath, they put down those adults for working at these jobs. What would happen if no adults worked at fast food and retail jobs and only teenagers making minimum wage did?
    Can't win no matter what.
    Last edited by xox2010; Sat, May 11th, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Canada is such an organized country but yet she has to reconsider and make significant changes in a minimum wages policy.

There is a HUGE difference between of working, for example, of a student of a wealthy family, who wants to earn money by himself for his education, or pocket expenses, or whaterever he needs, and a parent, who can hardly afford essential food for his child with the minimum salary. And I even don't talk about education, forget about that! You know, even a doctor with PhD degree can work as a cashier here (as an immigrant, of course). I know personally teachers (and not only, but engineers, doctors,...) with Master's degree working as waitresses in a restaurant (or cashiers in a store, or workers in a factory - and that is totally normal). But, of course, they don't complaint. Every job is respected here, and yes, at least they have a job!

So, yes, minimum wages must be set up ACCORDING to the social level of the family from where the employee comes. In that case there would be less families in need and more people would work (and would be willing to work!) at any job.

As for the minimum wages in Montreal, I do think, they are very low comparing to the higher sales tax levels (almost 15%) in Quebec.
    Last edited by Mia; Mon, May 13th, 2013 at 12:13 AM.
    cath007 likes this.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wonder why they don't have the same mini wage across Canada? Like one mini wage for the country?
    Free $175 CASH BONUS open Tangerine bank account $50=chequing, $25=savings, $100=savings program use 36121543S1as the'orange key' CAll1-888-826-4374 refer family/friends,$50 to you + $175 to them Earn up to $3,250 Visithttp://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I work minimum wage and barely survive but I still understand why it is that way if you were paying more because someone was earning more they would end up paying more of there wage aswell and if you look at the math involved you end up spending more of a % of your check and therefore end up with less money. Its hard for me to explain but as someone who just finished macroeconomics I truly believe giving more minimum wage does more harm then good. I live it it sucks but it helps with staying alive while in school as student loans cover not much beyond school expense.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

When we were brought to Canada it was under a whole different set of legistraton..We came here under the Professional and Excutives programme which meant that the company employing Mr P couldn't find some-one in North America which fitted his skill set...And I came with him with my own professional skill-set..I have and had the right to work under his visa qualifications as a professional in my own area and not as a minimum wage earner..

In fact using my profile when we moved here I was equally entitled to be an immigrant in my professional field of work without anay imput from Mr P's workplace.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information