User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Seriously, am I cursed?!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Heads up, this is not a coupon/sale/deal rant.

I'm still a student, and work one crappy retail job where everyone there doesn't appreciate any of my hard work. I have kept the job though because it's the only thing helping me pay for anything. But, ever since I got the job back in 2010, every summer I start applying for summer positions elsewhere, I have NOT been able to find a second job to help pay off my student loans and other expenses. Nor have I been able to land just a job in general to get out of the place I'm in now.

In the last two weeks I've been to 5 interviews and all went great, some with a second interview the same day!
    And I'm not applying for anything extravagant... Just been applying to things I'm good at. (Customer Service, Merchandising, Store Management, Stock, etc.)
    Today I got back the last two rejections from the interviews I went to. I was really hoping for both/either of them to be my golden tickets out of my current part time job.

Grrrr. Just not a happy camper today. I just want a second job.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by paciad; Mon, May 13th, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Maybe you should look through and see if someone is giving you a bad reference or something like that. Especially if they are calling your current employer, if they don't appreciate your work like you say, that could be part of it.
    Shwa Girl, lghend and paciad like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GracieAnne View Post
    Maybe you should look through and see if someone is giving you a bad reference or something like that. Especially if they are calling your current employer, if they don't appreciate your work like you say, that could be part of it.
    Funny I was thinking that too when I was editing my resume for the positions, (certain people there would have the nerve to do that) however I made sure to use the right people as my references. I also have a lot of academic references, and past employers (even though before this job I was 17 and worked in a grocery store....)

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I have sent you a PM with some options and suggestions. Good luck!
    walkonby, paciad and acosta like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Do you mean you plan on working both jobs? Typically retailers do not like hiring people already employed in retail especially for FT positions like merchandising & management (if you plan on keeping your other job). I worked in retail for years, and we were always careful of where we placed 'temp' students who are just looking to work FT for summer before school starts again. You may want to apply to Lowes or HD as seasonal staff in the garden center (not sure what you currently do) but they tend to hire a lot of students

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Maybe it's because they saw this on your Instagram

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Good luck in find that job
    Shwa Girl and paciad like this.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

@SmartConsumer
    while you were able to find my instagram account because I used the same username here and there I don't think employers would know I use that.
    I appreciate you pointing that out though, sometimes we're oblivious to the other things we do outside of work.
    walkonby and Shwa Girl like this.

NR3
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Chin up paciad! Best of luck to you. Hope something comes your way soon.
    Shwa Girl, paciad and acosta like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by paciad View Post
    Funny I was thinking that too when I was editing my resume for the positions, (certain people there would have the nerve to do that) however I made sure to use the right people as my references. I also have a lot of academic references, and past employers (even though before this job I was 17 and worked in a grocery store....)
    What you should do is ask your references what they are going to say about you, that way if you don't agree with what they are going to say you can find a new one. If you really need to use this person, try discussing with them the reasoning behind their opinion.

Good luck.
    Last edited by couponmamaof03; Mon, May 13th, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
    paciad likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Some employers stalk any social media so if your instagram/facebook/twitter accounts are tied to the same email you use on your resume they're pretty easy to find.
    Retail is hard to get a job in for whatever reason, you need experience but not too much because they don't like it when you have enough experience to know what they can and can't make you do.
    Also unless you're actually listing your current employer as a reference, all they can legally do if they are called by any other company about you is confirm that you work there and how long.
    Good luck, it's a ty job market out there no matter what you are looking for!
    Candini and paciad like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i agree it is very hard to even get a full time time job with a decent pay at the moment. I had been trying for the last 6 months and nothing........i m not even asking for much money. 30-32k I think is fair for a college grad in Hotel management. you think you are cursed, I think I m more cursed than you. I barely can get an interview......not to say a second one. sigh....and many job where trying to offer me min wage of $10.75 or somewhere close to it....seriously?? is the economic sooo bad.....I have a 2 kids to raise man, i don't think min wage will work out for me. Now, I m actually thinking of going back to school to update myself,

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cinpow View Post
    i agree it is very hard to even get a full time time job with a decent pay at the moment. I had been trying for the last 6 months and nothing........i m not even asking for much money. 30-32k I think is fair for a college grad in Hotel management. you think you are cursed, I think I m more cursed than you. I barely can get an interview......not to say a second one. sigh....and many job where trying to offer me min wage of $10.75 or somewhere close to it....seriously?? is the economic sooo bad.....I have a 2 kids to raise man, i don't think min wage will work out for me. Now, I m actually thinking of going back to school to update myself,
    I truly wish you the best of luck as well.

I know there are people who don't have a single job and would wish for one and here I am complaining about finding a second.
    Here's to hoping things get better!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Did you ever go back to the people that rejected and ask why? some people will give you that info and what can be done in the future.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by idonovan View Post
    Did you ever go back to the people that rejected and ask why? some people will give you that info and what can be done in the future.
    For sure! The few that I was most interested in I either called back or asked immediately. For the most part, it was "we had a large amount of applicants and only picked a select few" and from my understanding it was the people who knew someone already there.
    idonovan likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information