User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Wow, I'm not happy about this. Air miles of course has the right to set their "prices" at whatever level they need in order to stay in business, but they should have at least given consumers some notice. A few months ago when Shoppers changed their points structure, they told us ahead of time and gave us a chance to redeem our points at the old price point! The fact that Air Miles terms & conditions allows them to do it doesn't make it good customer service.

I just called customer service and spoke to a manager who let me redeem for $50 Keg gift cards at the old price. So at least one person in the company recognizes that this wasn't the nicest move.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    286 (100%)

I'll have to stop converting HBC points automaticaly to Air Miles. it's not worth it anymore.

Princess of Paying Less katie333's Avatar
    Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Glad the movie passes are still the same .. that is worth over $35 with the crazy concession prices they charge, so you're getting 20c/AM that way.

Wish I had known about the Rexall before the change, sigh.
    Kate

Have a question about cross border coupon shopping? PM me!
    Earn free GC and more with Swagbucks!

Bargooney
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We are saddened by this also. Loved getting the Rexall cards and using them at Christmas so that we could use our money towards gifts instead. Now, it's going to take a lot more airmiles to make it worth while. I agree that I really don't like how we weren't warned beforehand and had to find out the hard way - after you sign in all set to redeem and find you don't have enough points now.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

no more Earls GC's

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I only use AirMiles for Metro giftcards and am really pissed at this situation.

I've NEVER been impressed with AirMiles: I've always recognized them for the parasites they are. They are basically just artificially elevating the cost of goods and services so they can pay their own wages at their own company without adding ANY value of their own.

This is in stark contrast to point programs like Shoppers where loyal shoppers help to support the company they shop at. There is no army of employees whose sole duty and job description is to administer the points program like at AirMiles. It's expensive to pay the wages of so many people, who frankly don't add any value to your shopping experience.

This is how AirMiles artificially inflates the price of goods and services.

I agree with operabob: it's pointless to complain to AirMiles about it, as they have created the situation.

I have complained instead to Metro at their website.

This is what I wrote:

"I have just discovered that AirMiles have once again upped their redemption without warning to its users.
    It now cost 175 AirMiles to get $20 worth of groceries. I thought that 160 points was unreasonably high enough, but 175 points is getting to be too much!
    I love shopping at Metro, but hate the AirMiles program. Is there some way that Metro can start its own loyalty program for its loyal shoppers? AirMiles spreads itself so thin over so many sponsors that I can't believe that this is the best redemption rate possible.
    The reduction in the AirMiles exchange rate will mean shoppers will have to reconsider shopping at Metro as the price advantage from the AirMiles program has been eroding surely and steadily.
    Isn't it time to dump AirMiles at Metro?
    I'm SURE that Metro can do better for its customers!"

I would encourage other SC'ers to also complain to their favourite vendor.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Very well written Kava5. I agree having AM's as a sponsor is not an advantage really anymore. Other places have good loyalty programs. I have started shopping more at Shopper's Drug mart. And the points add up quickly when you spend on 20x days etc.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/PinkSapphire. Click to get FREE Giftcards just for searching the web. It is so easy.

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I guess I'll just trade them on points.com rather than using airmiles to redeem for anything!
    Search/Click and win free gift cards! I could really use a friend!!
    Search and Win on swagbucks.com
    Join Superpoints, it's back!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Actually, AirMiles did warn people early that redemption rates on physical items were going to change. However, I don't recall any specific mention of gift cards.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Just wondering if anyone has actually saved up for anything other than GC's. I was thinking of flights or vacation package's not sure if anyone has had experience with that.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kava5 View Post
    I only use AirMiles for Metro giftcards and am really pissed at this situation.

I've NEVER been impressed with AirMiles: I've always recognized them for the parasites they are. They are basically just artificially elevating the cost of goods and services so they can pay their own wages at their own company without adding ANY value of their own.

This is in stark contrast to point programs like Shoppers where loyal shoppers help to support the company they shop at. There is no army of employees whose sole duty and job description is to administer the points program like at AirMiles. It's expensive to pay the wages of so many people, who frankly don't add any value to your shopping experience.

This is how AirMiles artificially inflates the price of goods and services.

I agree with operabob: it's pointless to complain to AirMiles about it, as they have created the situation.

I have complained instead to Metro at their website.

This is what I wrote:

"I have just discovered that AirMiles have once again upped their redemption without warning to its users.
    It now cost 175 AirMiles to get $20 worth of groceries. I thought that 160 points was unreasonably high enough, but 175 points is getting to be too much!
    I love shopping at Metro, but hate the AirMiles program. Is there some way that Metro can start its own loyalty program for its loyal shoppers? AirMiles spreads itself so thin over so many sponsors that I can't believe that this is the best redemption rate possible.
    The reduction in the AirMiles exchange rate will mean shoppers will have to reconsider shopping at Metro as the price advantage from the AirMiles program has been eroding surely and steadily.
    Isn't it time to dump AirMiles at Metro?
    I'm SURE that Metro can do better for its customers!"

I would encourage other SC'ers to also complain to their favourite vendor.
    I don't think it's easy to compare SDM and Airmiles together. Airmiles can be earned at a whole multitude of places, and redeemed for use with many different companies too. Shoppers really limits you to shoppers. We airmiles users pay for that flexibility.

I know that for the last twelve months I have enough for over $600 in Shell gas ... and as I redeem that $600 I will also earn more airmiles. This year though I'm thinking of redeeming $800 against the purchase of a vacation in the winter. On the other hand I'm eying up either a nice Dyson or possibly a TV for the basement. I can earn 250+ miles a month with only slight changes to the way I shop, which works for me. I would hate to have that ability to choose taken away from me, and if we see more vendors added, and more bonus miles around as I have seen ... I will be happy enough.

I think the key point here is not that AM is wrong to raise it's costs ... but that the likes of SDM Optimum is of a way better benefit in a strict cash for cash scenario. Save the vitriol, and praise the competition instead.

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

Hmmmm wonder if I should order some sobeys GCs while they are still 140 AM each....
    Get paid for your opinion! http://legerweb.com/J4Z12
    Join Swagbucks and earn free money and giftcards!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melissabrien

Trading Score
    122 (100%)

wow, not impressed with the changes!
    2010 Savings
    My Trade/ Wish List:

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I was in absolute shock over the raising of the Metro GC cost to 175 AM! That is ALL I ever redeem for, no travel, no restaurants. Free food was the best for our clan of 5.
    I did have a fair amount of AM banked but was waiting to redeem after the Postal dispute is done.
    I got so annoyed looking through for " other" options for my redemption and just felt nothing was really of value. I don't much care for Zellers anymore, so GC useless to me there.
    Then a " lightbulb" moment came as I saw this item in small kitchen appliances.

( Oh God, shoot me I am a sucker for shiny new kitchen gadgets) lol

It is the Cuisinart Griddler/Grill combo!! (cost me 1250 AM, ouch )

This is what it looks like and it was delivered by UPS today and I just ordered it on line on June 14th!

I am going to make the shrimp Quesadillas that was in the recipe book that came with it.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i think i got 125 points. ..anyone know the best way to spend?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information