User Tag List

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Anyone else Planting gardens/flowers?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    It's not too late to start! Or even grow a tomato or two in pots.. :>
    I've saved seeds before and plan to this year as well. I'm pretty sure last years seeds will do just fine- just keep them in a cool, dry and dark place!
    I do have a few things in pots and still have the flower beds. It's the big veggie garden I can't do this year. I'm selling my house so most likely will move before harvest! So I raked the garden smooth and threw down a ton of grass seed. And also last year it was so hard on me, doing the big garden. At the new house I'll make raised garden beds, better suited to my disabilities.
    "Never will you get a better psychological subject than a hungry cat" Dr. E. Thorndike
    "Never ask a hungry cat whether he loves you for you alone" L. Camuti

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i don't exactly save my seeds on purpose... they drop during the summer and they germinate the next spring.. i haven't had to plant a morning glory for three years now, or little violas.. they pop up every year in the strangest places - usually in the lawn, so i transplant them to the garden before the psycho lawnmower man (dh) comes along and takes them down

i rescued this one

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsb07 View Post
    I do have a few things in pots and still have the flower beds. It's the big veggie garden I can't do this year. I'm selling my house so most likely will move before harvest! So I raked the garden smooth and threw down a ton of grass seed. And also last year it was so hard on me, doing the big garden. At the new house I'll make raised garden beds, better suited to my disabilities.
    We're thinking of moving soon as well- so I haven't really invested the $$ to build a super pretty raised bed garden (I would like to!) so I too am waiting until the move to really go full throttle gardening

Can't wait to see your garden next year!
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

Has anyone had experience with the plant (weed) Snow on the mountain? ( Gout weed) I don't want to have much inside grass to cut, so was thinking of planting a bunch of these. I've read they're very invasive plants, but my neighbours are far except the loosers next door but they have no say in anything lol, they will be booted anyways. I saw some at a seniors place and really like it. They say you can cut them right over with a lawn mower and they keep coming back. Hard to get rid of. Does anyone know if one plant will spread like crazy or do I need more? I can get a bunch for free. Any info would be wonderfull!! Thanks
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

By inside grass I meant inside my bush line. Around my ponds, around my hedged in rocked garden beds etc.
    Last edited by recessionisnotfun; Sat, Jun 18th, 2011 at 01:50 AM.
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    i don't exactly save my seeds on purpose... they drop during the summer and they germinate the next spring.. i haven't had to plant a morning glory for three years now, or little violas.. they pop up every year in the strangest places - usually in the lawn, so i transplant them to the garden before the psycho lawnmower man (dh) comes along and takes them down

i rescued this one

Ha Ha Ha ....psycho lawnmower man. good one!

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I can't even go outside today, man those misquitos are wicked out there.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    It's not too late to start! Or even grow a tomato or two in pots.. :>
    I've saved seeds before and plan to this year as well. I'm pretty sure last years seeds will do just fine- just keep them in a cool, dry and dark place!
    I've used tomato seeds from a packet that were almost 10 years ago they germinated and grew into tomato plants that grew lots of tomatoes.Even tomato seeds that have been through a dog's body will germinate.
    Last edited by Poirot; Tue, Jun 21st, 2011 at 03:42 AM.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by recessionisnotfun View Post
    Has anyone had experience with the plant (weed) Snow on the mountain? ( Gout weed) I don't want to have much inside grass to cut, so was thinking of planting a bunch of these. I've read they're very invasive plants, but my neighbours are far except the loosers next door but they have no say in anything lol, they will be booted anyways. I saw some at a seniors place and really like it. They say you can cut them right over with a lawn mower and they keep coming back. Hard to get rid of. Does anyone know if one plant will spread like crazy or do I need more? I can get a bunch for free. Any info would be wonderfull!! Thanks
    I believe it is a poisonous plant, so I dont know if you'd want it in your lawn if you have pets. The sap of the plant can cause skin irritations, so I dont know how that would work if you were going to mow it. Mine is about 10 inches high, I have just a bit in the garden, but if you cut it, you would just be cutting the leaves off and leaving the stems?
    Maybe Im thinking of a different plant though.
    What about mosses. Those would be a nice soft low growing groundcover, and some bloom flowers.
    Do you want to buy and sell Bitcoin? Sign up for Ndax to buy and sell bitcoin in Canada. Other altcoins available on the platform too! Quick, simple and secure.!. Have a look around. https://one.ndax.io/bfQb65

Smart Canuck GottaLoveFreeebies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I have goutweed all alone the south side of my house. Very little sun and rain and still does well! Great filler and looks nice all the time. Not too many weeds grow there either! I have heard it spreads like crazy as well mine was there when I moved in 13 years ago ans it still looks great! It is house, goutweed side walk. I find it spreads but not oo crazy. Last year I had to dig it all out to raise the soil bu the house and replant what I could. Looks pretty good but still has not filled in like it was. If it is free take what you can!!! Also once established it - I do not ever water mine and it does not get much rain where it is. If you wnat to add a bit of color or texture to the area - I have had daylilies with mine and it looks nice. Had to move them though because they were blocking the sidewalk!

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

well we picked up must have been at least 75 gouts today. Just planted them in clumps, around one of the ponds, too many to do singlely. The lady gave me trees, chives, lamb ears, flowers, a whole bloody truck full and wants me to come back for more. I was floored to say the least. We drove away with literally hundreds of dollars worth of free plants. That just never happens!
    Also dug up a bunch of choke cherry trees, now they were almost impossible, such a root tanglement. Told my husband to stop before he killed himself.
    How was everyone elses weekend?

Lua
    Female
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I just made my week 5 progress post!

http://startingoutfit.wordpress.com/...garden-week-5/

I do have a question for you guys!

Something keeps eating my bean plants!!! Anyone have ideas how to stop this?? I don't want to loose these.

http://startingoutfit.files.wordpres...6/dsc03964.jpg
    Join SWAGBUCKS! Get free amazon $!!!
    My Blog: http://mypinkthumb.com

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I was across the street chatting with my neighbor last night. Her and her husband are the best neighbors any one could ask for, they're just really nice. She had just "cleaned" up her flower beds and gave me a bunch of perennials and bulbs, a couple tomato plants and some pansies. Yay! They have the nicest gardens and a lot of my perennials came from her over the years. Gotta love free plants!
    "Never will you get a better psychological subject than a hungry cat" Dr. E. Thorndike
    "Never ask a hungry cat whether he loves you for you alone" L. Camuti

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lua View Post
    Something keeps eating my bean plants!!! Anyone have ideas how to stop this?? I don't want to loose these.
    1/2 tsp vegetable oil
    1/2 tsp sunlight dish detergent
    1/2 tsp chewing tobacco juice*
    warm water

For tobacco juice, add 2 pinches chewing tobacco to 1/2 cup water and let soak overnight. If you can't get chewing tobacco, you can use 5-10 cigarette butts and soak those overnight.

Add oil, detergent, tobacco juice into a 1 litre sprayer bottle, then add warm water to fill up. Shake gently and lightly mist over plants in the evening or on an overcast day. If you have a large garden that needs to be sprayed, you can times the ingredients by 4 and add to a hose end sprayer. Repeat weekly.

I'm going to add in case anyone is interested...for lawns that have lots of bugs and grubs, in addition to the ingredients above, add 1/4 cup mouth wash to the hose end sprayer and spray in the evening after grass has been cut. Where we used to live, with the exception of our house, the entire block had serious problems with grubs and skunks turning over the sod to get to them. We were able to save our lawn using this mixture every time we mowed the lawn in the evenings.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

oh wow!!!! Thank you for posting that
    My gout weeds don't look to well They are just laying there lol, all that work digging

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information