I also posted this in the frugal living section but thought maybe it makes more sense to post this here:

Well, it looks like our 13 year old top loading May tag is needing repairs or replacement. Looking to you all frugal people for advice. I took the front panel off and watched a load go through the cycle. It is dripping from the seal underneath that is up against the drum. As well, I have been using a Downy ball for fabric softener because the dispenser doesn't do the job and I was told that this could mean that the machine isn't spinning properly and the bearings could be rusty and such. I called a repair guy and he ranted on and on about how much junk all the new washing machines are. But he also said that it would cost me $325-400 to fix ours if the bearings are also toast.

So....anyone with some advice? I called a young lad who just finished the Appliance repair course (lives out of town) and he told me that Inglis Top Loader is built well in his opinion. He told me to stay away from HE models and just stick with a basic model b/c less can go wrong and they last longer apparently. But what do I know about this stuff lol...that's why I'm asking you guys.... Does anyone have and like the Maytag Bravo XL?