User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Aggressive sales people

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

I joined goodlife about a month ago because I took over a great rate from someone on kijiji that I could make work with my budget. Being a new member they signed me up for a bunch of orientation thing which is great. Friday I met with a trainer and it went horribly.
    I was told that it was just a meeting to do a weight/measure and help set a plan to meet my goals and there would be no sales pitch.

Boy did they lie..

Everything was going great and I was even up for paying for a few sessions to learn the workout Id need to do to meet my goals (Losing 10 pounds by the end of September). But this woman was super aggressive and made me very uncomfortable.

She told me that in order to lose the 10 pounds I would need to have personal training sessions at least twice a week (for a year!!) and that I would have a hard time doing it on my own. Out of curiosity I asked how much that would cost..$6000!!! WITH $1000 down. $500 a month! Thats more than I pay for living expenses! She wouldnt give up. Here's a highlight of some of the things she said.

- Can you borrow the money from your parents/boyfriend?
    - If you stopped buying junk food you could save for training sessions
    - If you didnt go out with friends you could save for training sessions
    - If you have $115 tonight you can start and try and come up with the $1000 dollars before july 1st

She made me feel like a loser because I didnt want to spend all of my money on something I cant afford to begin with. Overall just put a bad taste in my mouth about the gym.
    This thread is currently associated with: GoodLife Fitness
    walkonby and vesper like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Wow that is pushy.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Been there too.
    Find out when the trainer is working and go to Goodlife at other times.

Super Duper Smart Canuck happy_me24's Avatar
    Trading Score
    67 (100%)

Ughhhhh....that is the WORST! And you definitely DON'T need training sessions to lose 10 pounds by September. If you want a couple just to learn the best ones to do, that's great, but all you need is discipline. I can't believe she was so pushy. That happened to me one time. Hubby and I joined a gym, then they separated us so we could each be talked to by a trainer in different offices. They were so pushy with me that I was almost in tears and was in there for over 45 minutes. Hubby was ticked that they acted that way towards me.

Don't let them intimidate you. I didn't have that experience at Goodlife (mine was at a different gym), but they shouldn't make you feel like crap. You're spending money to go to the gym, that should be enough for them.

Sorry that happened to you. Don't feel like a loser! The majority of people at the gym don't have trainers
    abbasgirl likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have one thing to say commission.

My bros ex and one of his best friends worked at two different gyms and was always being told to sell sell sell, up sale this up sale that. They come down really hard on them if they do not and it is ridiculous. You are paring on people who may already been self conscious.

I have never joined a gym but I know our doctor sent us to do a diet plan and within about 5 minutes I was ready to cry as I was told everything I eat is not allowed and how if I did not do their diet I was pretty much eating myself to death. This was not motivating at all.
    abbasgirl and Crochetlady like this.

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I have one thing to say commission.

My bros ex and one of his best friends worked at two different gyms and was always being told to sell sell sell, up sale this up sale that. They come down really hard on them if they do not and it is ridiculous. You are paring on people who may already been self conscious.

I have never joined a gym but I know our doctor sent us to do a diet plan and within about 5 minutes I was ready to cry as I was told everything I eat is not allowed and how if I did not do their diet I was pretty much eating myself to death. This was not motivating at all.
    I was nearly in tears myself. I'm by no means overweight and she told me that Im 10% over the "normal" bodyfat %. That may be true but the way she worded it made me feel like I was headed for a heart attack or something.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Once you say NO the first time then they should not ask again. I would just tell them look I can barely afford the monthly fee let alone a personal trainer so please do not ask me again. You should not be hounded every time you go to the gym. I can't stand salespeople that work on commission and push their crap in your face to the point you feel like you are being bullied.
    GoddessDigi likes this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

You do NOT need a personal trainer, especially if you're only aiming for 10lbs.
    I lost over 60lbs, in less than a year, without any help, and I didn't even go to the gym (though, I do now, to maintain).
    Tell that 'trainer' to shove off.
    walkonby and vesper like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just FYI, dietitians are covered under OHIP and are WAY more knowledgeable than personal trainers when it comes to diet. I just lost 26 pounds with mine. They also advise you on physical activities and a myriad of other health related topics.
    Natalka, GoddessDigi and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lghend View Post
    Just FYI, dietitians are covered under OHIP and are WAY more knowledgeable than personal trainers when it comes to diet. I just lost 26 pounds with mine. They also advise you on physical activities and a myriad of other health related topics.

Ill have to see if they're covered here in Nova Scotia as well. Thanks!
    lghend likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I know our doctor sent us to do a diet plan and within about 5 minutes I was ready to cry as I was told everything I eat is not allowed and how if I did not do their diet I was pretty much eating myself to death. This was not motivating at all.
    i remember when i was pregnant and i was borderline diabetic so they sent me to the government nutritionist..she set me up with all the diabetic kit stuff (i have a HUGE needle phobia and could not handle poking myself multiple times a day) and a whole bunch of paperwork, told me everything i couldn't eat and she basically told me that if i don't do everything they say my baby would die.. i ended up refusing to continue going even though they persisted me to come in
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

If you just want to loose 10 pounds by end of September 30 minutes a day on an eleptic machine will do the trick!!! Add 30 minutes of crunches and leg lifts to that and you'll be toned and fit in no time!! I lost 200 pounds in less than 2 years ( 150 in the first year alone ) and crunches and eleptic is what I do now to stay fit! Didnt cost me a cent!!
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I.really like myfitnesspal.com. It is a free site that will help you set goals, calculate your calories etc. I find it really helpful. No sales person at all...
    happy_me24, ticul and MillieH like this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just tell them you're not into doing squats on yoga balls. That'll shut them up super fast.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Oh Dear! I had no idea Gyms were that aggressive. Have not been a member of any since my mid twenties, you can certainly lose 10 pounds without their expert " help " Stay strong! Thanks for posting this as I am sure there will be other members here that might run into someone like that one day.
    ticul likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information