User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Pls check if shelters accept items before donating

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Earlier in my career I also worked in a homeless shelter, but for men. All were diagnosed with mental illnesses, and also had addictions to drugs/alcohol/solvents. Many, many men used cheap alternatives to alcohol to get their fix, and mouthwash was the most prevalent (cologne and hand sanitizer were also used). For this very reason we didn't accept mouthwash with alcohol, but men's disposable razors were always welcomed.

I have so many fond memories of my time at the shelter, it was by far one of my favourite places to work. However, to this very day, the smell of mouthwash makes me physically ill. I won't use it, instead I use an all natural rinse from the health food store. I also don't allow my family to use it anywhere near me, or not only will my stomach turn but I will have flashbacks to performing CPR on a man who literally drank himself to death, with mouthwash.
    pippinelkhound and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

sad... Thanks for sharing everyone. Will keep all your lessons and advice and experience inmind when I come to the point that I can start donating.
    ticul and SavenRaven like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Don't get me onto the dirty, torn buttonless clothes that were dropped off at the local trying to get people into work centre* and were rejected and the highly indigant "ladies" who claimed that "they " should be grateful for any item that these "ladies" should desire to gift them regardless of what was requested...ie suits, shirts, dresses, skirts of a quality which needed minimal effort to make presentable.

* I'm sure there's a correct term but my brain is fried now..
    I worked at value village awhile back and even the clothes that were rejected were bundled up and sold and the part of the profits were donated to the charity of the month. I thought most places were like that, that they'd take anything really.
    pippinelkhound, ticul and Candini like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GracieAnne View Post
    I worked at value village awhile back and even the clothes that were rejected were bundled up and sold and the part of the profits were donated to the charity of the month. I thought most places were like that, that they'd take anything really.

It was a private charity attached to a church and what they wanted were clothes that needed, say a button sewing on or a zipper repaired to make it suitable for an interview or starting work type of thing.

Because it was run on a few hours a month type of basis, the few people who volenteered didn't have the time money or resources to deal with totally unsuitable clothes.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    Not common sense at all. People don't believe me when I tell them that people drink mouthwash to get drunk because mouthwash has more alcohol than a bottle of wine. Out of lets say 10 people who donate in a day at least 7 people donate those sample mouthwash bottles because there are coupons out there and its free. And cans of certain personal items as well as food like whip cream people use it to get high.

People dont beleave you because, they dont understand addiction. Wich make's this tread very impertant and too me also of what is ok to donate..........Again thank you for this tread.................
    gourmetsue and SavenRaven like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Thanks for the info. I only buy alcohol free for my family.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I remember once hearing Kevin Frankish saying something along the lines of "Please think about what people might actually want and be able to use when you donate to the food bank, don't just clean out your cupboards of stuff that's about to expire or weird stuff you bought for a recipe and didn't use."

I've worked with the homeless and people who use food banks. One of them once told me "Everyone gives peanut butter, no one ever thinks of jam. I'm glad to have the peanut butter, but I miss jam!".

It's been on my list ever since. When the Smuckers coupons came out, I was insanely happy, I think I got about 40 bottles (between three stores) for free when they went on sale.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Even when some people are giving they are still selfish, they give with praise in mind, they give to dump things they do not want, they have preconceived notions of who should be "greatful". Many cannot just see a need and give because there simply is a need, they want recognition and a high from "doing their good deed"

I've read a good book that says that you should serve/give privately and your reward will come from those greater then men.

Really the best thing we can all do is find out what the the organizations we are donating to need, they often post it on their website...sometimes we need to use a bit of discernment. E.g donating a pink backpack to a men's homeless shelter may not be a good choice, homeless people are often targets of taunting and violence and they don't want to stand out, they also tend to need things that are portable and do not show soiling quickly.

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

Thanks for posting. We also do not put Mouthwash on the shelves of our Family Needs Bank, just in case. I do keep the shelf stocked with toothpaste at all times, so the mouthwash isn't really necessary. We are a family Needs and Infant Food Bank so most visitors are moms and they really appreciate the extra family hygiene items we offer in addition to the Infant items.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by screamy View Post
    I remember once hearing Kevin Frankish saying something along the lines of "Please think about what people might actually want and be able to use when you donate to the food bank, don't just clean out your cupboards of stuff that's about to expire or weird stuff you bought for a recipe and didn't use."

I've worked with the homeless and people who use food banks. One of them once told me "Everyone gives peanut butter, no one ever thinks of jam. I'm glad to have the peanut butter, but I miss jam!".

It's been on my list ever since. When the Smuckers coupons came out, I was insanely happy, I think I got about 40 bottles (between three stores) for free when they went on sale.

Great Point! Just because someone is in need, doesn't mean that they are only worthy of what you can't use or would be throwing in the Garbage. How many meals of Tomato Paste and Kidney Beans can one be expected to eat?

We get many donations of expired formula, baby food, broken or unsafe toys and Infant Clothing that go directly in the garbage. Dangerous, expired, broken items and Baby clothing full of Stains, holes & missing buttons do not make it to our shelves. We end up paying extra in Disposal Fees for these items so they actually do more harm to our charity than good.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by screamy View Post

My local food cupboard now posts a list of items in high demand and items in need on its website and updates it regularly. I think this is a wonderful idea and use it when putting donations together. And jam is often on the list. I was surprised by some of the things on the list, and it has altered what I think of as things that are needed.
    pippinelkhound and SavenRaven like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

When I was on residence life staff my residence life co-ordinator was amazing. Each semester we had to have a one on one with her where she took us out. For my one-on-one we went to old navy shopping not for ourselves but to donate about 70$ worth of clothes to a local charity new with tags still on. (We also did many other they did an annual project where they went around the community collecting can goods and donated them we did i think about 4000pounds of food and baby supplies.)
    TWO 20% KONG PRODUCT AVAILABLE FOR TRADE<dl style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-size: 14px; font: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; width: 881px; clear: both; "></dl>

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by young-one19 View Post
    People will try just about anything. My mom used to tell me in her small town, people would steal vanilla extract, because it also has some alcohol content.
    Heard of that too. People will also do the same with cough syrup for the alcohol.
    pippinelkhound likes this.
    Just call me Wolfie

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Good Information! Thanks for the post.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The shelters near me are grateful for Scope in trial bottles because it means it is not enough for them to get a buzz compared to full size and they do not always have enough toothbrushes to go with toothpaste. Guess it just depends where you are donating - the best thing to do it check with your local charity/shelter and ask what they need and accept
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information