User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: MUST buy only what's on baby registry? Really?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Your gift is FAB!

Ah, registries - I've never encountered one for a baby shower, but have for weddings.

They are guidelines, that's all. One never has to purchase something from a registry.

Would be nice in general if gift giving went back to being thoughtful, not satisfying any 'requirements'...

How wonderful it is to receive gifts which are surprizes!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
    While I want to buy items that people will actually use, I find the idea that one must buy only from the gift registry list to be somewhat offensive. What people are receiving at baby showers are "gifts", not items from a list of demands.....
    That's how I feel about a gift registry, in fact I often don't even look at them.
    Natalka, macw1960 and LIVE SIMPLE like this.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I'm a FTM to 5 mth old Korbin. I love your idea. I had a registry for my shower but got a lot of gift cards(thank God) maybe be bcuz we didn't find out the sex of the baby.BTW Winners have the best prices on Onesie(Long & short sleeve); 3pk $5.99(100% cotton)...
    macw1960 and PammieD like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I had two showers when I was pregnant with my son and diapers, wipes, and essential stuff was amazing. I also received a lot of "crap" that I never used, is dollar store toys, had several hairbrushes for some reason and a massive amount of facecloths, which I donated a lot of it. I really loved the homemade gifts that I got. Homemade receiving blankets and quilts. FYI- I received a lot of the same size of diapers, smaller ones that my son grew out of quickly. I sold some diapers on Kijiji that were already open that he grew out of and took the rest to walmart to exchange for a larger size which i never had an issue doing.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by krrosell View Post
    .... FYI- I received a lot of the same size of diapers, smaller ones that my son grew out of quickly. I sold some diapers on Kijiji that were already open that he grew out of and took the rest to walmart to exchange for a larger size which i never had an issue doing.
    That's always my hesitation about buying diapers as a gift - also if the baby ends up being sensitive to a certain brand of diapers.
    macw1960 likes this.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

I think YOU are right, and a person should be happy with what they get as a gift, regardless of whether it's on a registry. It's totally true that a 1st timer may not know what they need.

If she had kids already, and then a registry, I would be likely to purchase off the registry since it's what she most likely NEEDS. I'm 35 weeks pregs, and my dad asked me what I need. I have 3 kids (2B, 1G) so everything I need I pretty much have. So I said diapers. He wasn't thrilled with my request and asked if I could use a blanket instead since my mom was already thinking of an idea on how to make a blanket. So I replied that I had been given blankets for each child, I have a drawer full of baby blankets that haven't been used, AND Baby is coming in July so I DON'T NEED IT! Gees people, don't ask when you already have your own answer, right?
    Last edited by danip467; Mon, May 27th, 2013 at 10:53 AM.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I love your gift idea! I think the things like the infant tylenol and drops are an awesome addition. I can only imagine needing to use these products at 3AM and because your a new mom, you maybe don't have them on hand. (Thankfully, I have lots of family that will think of these things when I am ready to have kids, because I know I will forget all these little things.) Its great to give those things that maybe a first time mom wouldn't think of right away. She will greatful that you took the time to think about her and her new family and wanted to show your excitement for them by putting together a basket of goodies that she may need.

As for a registry, I really believe its a guideline, gifts are just that, GIFTS. I think its a nice idea to register for a few of the bigger items, at least in my family, because rather then say 5 people getting you smaller gifts, them may decide to get one larger item that you really want, from all of them. Myself, I always just pop a gift reciept into the card, that way if they get doubles they can exchange it but I rarely look at a registry as a "must buy list".
    macw1960, Granger and PammieD like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

A gift is just that, a gift. You can give whatever you want to give.

The last baby shower I went to, I bought something off the registry, and made the same type of basket that you made. It was well received. I mean, you need baby shampoo/wipes/etc. I also included a couple of spa-like items to take care of mom too. I learned this because I went to a baby shower once where EVERYTHING from the registry had already been purchased except for one item. That one item was stretchmark cream. So my gift was some Baby Einstein DVDs, and stretch mark cream. Others at the shower made fun of my purchase, but the mother said it was the best gift she received. Check mate.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I remember the last baby shower I went to, I made a gift as well as purchased a toy off the registry (Babies R Us). The registry showed that nobody else had purchased that toy when I bought it. The mom-to-be ended up getting the same toy four times, as people look at the registry and decided to purchase the gift elsewhere. Gift receipts are a good thing, indeed.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinigal View Post
    I remember the last baby shower I went to, I made a gift as well as purchased a toy off the registry (Babies R Us). The registry showed that nobody else had purchased that toy when I bought it. The mom-to-be ended up getting the same toy four times, as people look at the registry and decided to purchase the gift elsewhere. Gift receipts are a good thing, indeed.
    This totally happens all the time! My SIL had the Sophie the Giraffe on her registry and I just happened to get 2 at SDM (bonus redemption). One for my DS and one to put away. I checked her registry the day before the shower and no one had purchased Sophie so I included it in my basket. At the shower she received FOUR of them! lol.
    macw1960, PammieD and torontogal12 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

I dislike registries from both ends. When we got married we did not use a registry, and some of the best gifts that I still have after almost 19 years were a set of glass pyrex mixing bowls (used daily) and casserole dishes. Fancy tableware and other items although appreciated and thoughtful are rarely used, we just don't have the need for them. I just don't like telling people what to buy. For showers if it is a first child I try to make a blanket or quilt and include some essentials. For second/third babies, if it's a different sex than they have already have, maybe an outfit in 12month to 18 month size, you get so many of the smaller sizes that never get used. Diapers, wipes, bath products, and if possible something small for an older sibling. (sometimes they feel a bit forgotten with the new baby and all the gifts)
    Natalka, macw1960, Granger and 1 others like this.
    Looking for FPC for almost everything. Growing teen boy eating me out of house and home. Visit my facebook page www.facebook.com/UneekCreations Will trade finished product from my Etsy shop.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think gift registries are a great idea for people who simply do not know what to get the recipient (and maybe to stop those that don't realize their wonderful, thoughtful gift is completely impractical!).

But your gift sounds great too!

What it comes down to is, what will the new mother use?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    I think gift registries are a great idea for people who simply do not know what to get the recipient (and maybe to stop those that don't realize their wonderful, thoughtful gift is completely impractical!).
    I totally agree with this. They're good for folks who have no idea. But I was happy that people came to have a party with me, honestly didn't care too much about gifts! They were just a bonus. I hate rules like you have to spend a certain amount for a wedding/shower gift. Give what you can afford, don't give me anything, that is really OK!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I also think that the idea is fantastic. I agree with both the above poster. Having a gift registry or choosing a gift from that is a nice idea. It helps us to choose the things easily and without the stress. It also helps people to get the thing of their choice as a gift.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

It's not a baby shower but I just got an invite to a wedding shower. They have 2 registries. The first one has 10 items and all are $99 and up. The second one has about 25 items but still very pricy ($40 for ONE bath towel, $69 for a baking bowl set, etc). I know I won't be buying off the registry for that shower.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information