User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: SUPERSTORE SCOP but only a penny difference....help

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Saturday am rolls around, hmmm fried bologna for breakfast. I check the flyers, sure enough SuperStore has it on sale for 9.99, a savings of $10. Off we go, hubby runs in to pick it up. Comes out and says you were wrong it was $10.00". He, being the comedian and knows how I am about false advertising, coupons and SCOP. Comes out and says you were wrong it was $10.00". Hmmm no pretty sure it was 9.99, oh I guess I 'll check the flyer when we get home. Knowing, I've seen many retailers pull the old $9.99 in large print, with a small save beside you. At a glance, you think oh it's 9.99. Well, well, it does show 9.99, savings of $10. So, here's my question, it is a SCOP, would you take it back because of the $0.01 difference? Makes me want to run back in and get a second lol
    This thread is currently associated with: Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Guess
    Peachykeen2007 likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does your province round up/down?

Here in BC we do and so a $9.99 item would be $10. If it was listed at $9.96 then it would round down and pay $9.95.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I think, not positive that it's with the change that they give back. So, if you were to get 5.01 or 5.02 or 5.56 or 5.57 back, they round do.... 03, 04, 08 or 09 they round up. As if I pay with my debit, I only get charged 9.99, if they rounded up, I'd be overcharged. The stores I shop at, I have not seen the price being changed at the register. I have noticed a small chicken place, has changed all of their prices so you always end up with a total that would round up, never down. I paid with my debit, and got charged the correct price, no rounding up.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

rounding up shouldn't matter - what happens if you were paying by anything but cash - the item is still $9.99

if it was advertised as $9.99 it is $9.99, just because you pay cash it only means you don't get a penny back as they round up for your change

it is SCOP - go back and get it for FREE
    Last edited by Peachykeen2007; Mon, May 27th, 2013 at 11:53 AM.
    quicktocoupon likes this.

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

I don't know about your Province but here in Ontario if it's $9.99 and no tax and you are paying cash it is rounded up by a penny to $10.00.
    If you pay by debit or credit card then it stays at $9.99.
    Could it be that he paid cash and they rounded it up by a penny to $10.00?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

If the sign or ad said it was $9.99 and it rang in at the register for $10.00 then it is SCOP.

The rounding when you pay cash has nothing to do with SCOP. Rounding only applies when you pay cash. If you pay with debit, giftcard, credit card, or store credit then it is exactly what the price of the items are.
    quicktocoupon likes this.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

If your receipt says it was anything higher than 9.99 before tax that it's eligible for SCOP. I'd go back and talk to customer service. I'd wager that you'd get the money back.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

does anyone know the rules of SCOP once you leave the store? A couple of times i got home and realised i was charged the wrong price. This seems to only happen when i am rushed and with my kids. I never returned cause i always assumed it was too late.
    Last edited by C.RoyCanada; Mon, May 27th, 2013 at 12:54 PM.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

I would say within 7 days as prices change every week

Quote Originally Posted by C.RoyCanada View Post
    does anyone know the rules of SCOP once you leave the store? A couple of times i got home and realised i was charged the wrong price. This seems to only happen when i am rushed and with my kids. I never returned cause i always assumed it was too late.
    C.RoyCanada likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by C.RoyCanada View Post
    Customer service with receipt in hand + proof. The hard part is if they've changed the shelf price after the fact (having noticed by other means) and you can't acquire that proof anymore because when you were there, it was listed as X, but coming back it's not listed as Y.

Rounding occurs at the end of the transaction so items should always ring up the price advertised, in this case as 9.99$. If that was the only item you were purchasing, a "Total" at the end would say 9.99$ but the cashier would ask for 10$ because of rounding. It is the cashier's job typically to round properly; the computer does not round the total itself because if you're paying by debit, it will debit you the actual amount, including pennies, with no rounding.

Does that make sense?

In this case, if the flyer says 9.99$ and it rang up as 10$, it is SCOP because the computer does not round on its own + it was advertised at 9.99$ and rang up a penny more.

If it rang up at 9.99$, it was the only item purchased and the cashiers asks for 10$, it is not SCOP because the penny difference is not false advertising; it is the result of rounding. If in this case you pay by debit/CC/Shop Card, you would only be debited 9.99$ after all.
    r0c0upons and C.RoyCanada like this.
    Because of fake prints, stacking manus is no longer allowed
    But you can still stack Coupon Zone + 1x Manu, like other Maxi / Loblaw Stores
    Did You Like Our Service? Make Sure To Submit A Comment Sheet At Our Store!
    Comment Box is located beside the Coin Star Machine.
    Help Me/Us Earn an "A" For Customer Service!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It's not a scop if it is rounded. Just my opinion but a scop should not apply to a rounded item.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

No it was debit. I just looked through my receipts and noticed a rounding on NoFrills.
    It says,
    Total 2.44
    Cash 2.50
    rounded 0.04 ( 2.40 )
    CHANGE DUE 0.10

First time I've checked as I tend to spend more than 2.50 in one trip, so I use my debit. Most stores do the rounding down and rounding up of your total if paying cash. That's the first one that I've seen that always rounds down.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I always wondered if I could SCOP for a penny... I've had a couple things over the last couple years that have rang up $0.01 more than the shelf tag, but didn't bother doing SCOP, because it felt silly for a one cent.
    Getting back into trading - see my Trade and Wish Lists (under 'About Me' tab)

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SAVING$44 View Post
    No it was debit.
    So he paid debit and was charge $10.00 instead of the advertise $9.99?
    If that's the case then it would be applicable for scop.
    SAVING$44 and saddlebag like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Yes exactly....if I can figure out how to take a pic and upload, I could show you. I now wonder how many more of those items that have in large print the savings, not the price, that get typed in at head office.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information